Thread: Just been gifted a canoe (Explorer 166)

Default Just been gifted a canoe (Explorer 166)

Hi.

I've just been given an Explorer 166 canoe, paddles and vests. Learning about it, reading reviews sounds like it suits well for the likes of me.

Never had a boat and don't fare well on the water to be honest. Hopefully get the kids out on a canal or loch, maybe island camp or something.

I get it's not a great canoe. The blow-moulded cooler/seat/knee pad/ribbed bit in the middle looks like something I already want to rip out and replace. It puts the floor up about 3 inches off the bottom of the boat which seems daft to me, though probably filled with foam to help it float. If I take it out, assuming it's fine to step in onto the shell itself, I might fit a yolk (I'm strong enough for one-man lift, the canoe is nearly 45kg, so yolk might be useful), and a better seat to fit a couple of kids side by side. From what I've read, it needs the vertical bracing to the keel pole to help keep its shape and all that. The seats at either end also review as being quite high up, they are blow moulded for volume and braced to the keel, so I think I get what it'll take to replace them. I don't know if overall it's single or triple layer - I'm assuming single, but I'll maybe remove a seat bolt and have a look. I've also been given a couple of buoyancy bags for either end if I find I need them.

I've done a bit of searching around, but any tales from experience or links to similar modifications to this type of canoe would be great please.

I'll go paddle it before I change anything. I didn't know I needed a canoe, but the kids are excited and I like a project.

Matt

Welcome to the Forum. I don't know anything about your canoe, but you've come to the right place and someone who does will come along shortly. If you could post a few pics it might help better describe the way the canoe is fitted out, so people can advise on the mods you've written about. All the best.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Thanks, Duck Feet.

I can't upload photos, but found this one on google, it's the same as far as I can tell...

Am guessing it's a coleman. Like this?

Not sure I would recommend ripping anything out but some piccies would be good. These things are usually there for strength or buoyancy.

Just get it in the water and see what happens, stay safe though cos if it goes wrong it goes wrong quickly!
    Cheers,

Alan

Thanks, Alan.

Yes, just like that.

I don't want to pretend I know what I'm talking about, but it doesn't look like that light gray insert gives much lateral support to the gunwales - a yolk and/or third seat would probably provide more. The ribbed form of the base might support the curve of the sides and help to keep the floor 'flat', I don't know if it does or to what extent. There's a little oil-canning on the bottom and the keel is very slightly concave along its length.

There are certainly "Explorer" models that don't have that insert but simply a keel rod and three seats, bow and stern with storage and center with vertical pillar, but I don't know if the shell has different properties or construction.

I used to have an unconverted Mazda Bongo which was full of over-blown mouldings, a bit unrefined and bulky inside - that's what this canoe reminds me of.

Can't wait to get it out, waiting for the first opportunity...
    Last edited by seasick; 13th-May-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Hello and Welcome!

I'd just get out and paddle it, then see what you want to change once you've got a few paddles under your belt.

A canal is a great place to start, assuming it's not the Suez canal . Feel free to keep asking for advice, and if you want to meet up with local paddlers, stick a rough location up and keep an eye on the Meets section.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Cheers, Mal.

Aye, can't wait for first paddle.
    Last edited by seasick; 13th-May-2019 at 11:52 PM.