Thread: family canoe trip

Default family canoe trip

hi, this is my first post on the forum ,i have been reading the posts with enjoyment for some time ,i was wondering if any of you good people would know of a place to suit my needs for a family canoe trip. .i am planning to take the wife and 2 small kids on a weekend canoe trip over easter,and was hoping to find a place suitable for a paddle ,somewhere i can get the 4x4 into the waters edge and camp with a fire next to.i know of places like this up north but would prefer maybe not such a travel over easter.are there any good places like this in the central belt,ayrshire areas.i am fairly new to the canoe scene and know of plenty of lochs etc but to actually think how close you can get to the waters edge with a vehicle if you have not already been.the reason i want to camp as close to the water is i will have to manage most of the lifting canoes (allagash 164), erecting tents etc (tapp varrie 7 ) because the wife is a novice and the kids would need to be supervised by her while i do everything needed at camp.i would like this trip to be enjoyable for them ,so that they would be desperate to go again,you know what they say about first impressions

Hi Gill

Glad to see you posting. What about Cashel

http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/cara...tes/cashel.asp

Right on the banks of the Loch. A proper camp site so all the luxuries for the kids. You can launch straight from the site or take a short drive to Balmaha or Rowardenan.
    John

I was going to suggest that, but John beat me to it. Another option might be Strathyre, the campsite is beside the river and only a short paddle onto Loch Lubnaig. If your wife is in charge of the kids then I am sure she would appreciate a site with full facilities, although having a fire might not be an option at these sites.

I was thinking of suggesting a meet at one of sites for members with families, possibly mid May ish, but am waiting to see when we are free before posting anything.

There are probably still places where you could car camp beside a loch away from a formal campsite, but they are becoming few and far between. Unfortunately these places tend to be abused be groups of drunks proporting to be fishermen. Litter and broken glass and human waste are common, and they are often scarred with large fire sites fuelled with live trees. Personally I wouldn't feel happy camping in some of these spots with my kids.

Unfortunately because of the above problems more and more of these sites are being fenced off by landowners. I have just heard today of a good launch site on Loch Tummel which has been fenced off. If you do find any good spots bear in mind that access rights do not necessarily extend to car camping, or to driving off road, so you might not necessarily be welcome.

I have just remembered that there is also a campsite on the north shore of Loch Tummel near the east end, with a slipway for boat launching. It's opposite the islands and near the interesting narrow part of the loch. Our kids loved exploring the islands.

Default Strathyre / Lubnaig

Paul – a quick question – what’s the current like on the river between the Strathyre campsite and Loch Lubnaig? The SCA guide says that “a strong paddler” could do it uphill, but is it really that fast flowing at that point?

Another suggestion for family camping is the site at Loch Morlich, near Aviemore. Fires might be a problem, but it does have the bonus that there are plenty of activities for the kids to do off the water (e.g. ride bikes, feed reindeer, go up Cairngorm (on the train if you must!), watch red squirrels etc).

Cheers,

Blutack.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to test out the current yet. It's on our list of trips to do this year. The hire centre upstream of the campsite hire open canoes out to novices though, so presumably it's not too bad.

The last time I was on the river was a school kayaking trip over 20 years ago. It was my first time in a kayak, and I got caught in a tree and capsized. From recollection there were 2 very minor rapids (probably upstream of the campsite), although they seemed very scary at the time.

Hi folks..Can I suggest a place where I've taken the wife and daughter myself on the same kind of trip your after..Loch Etive..,top end down the road via Glencoe

Camping right on the water and everything..get there before the clegs and midgies..if there's not a good weather forcast thought it can be a challenge

Douglas