Thread: warning....River wye - carey islands

Default warning....River wye - carey islands

Folks, I did a trip down the wye last week from Glasbury to Bigsweir bridge .....4 days of heaven.
    River level was probably a foot higher than "normal". The EA guide describes the best channel at Carey islands to be the right one. However there is a massive tree down right across the right channel. You can see it on the approach before the islands and it was about 4ft above water level, but if the river gets higher you'll need to be a serious limbo dancer or a bit dumb to go down this channel. Stick to the left is my advice.
    Stu
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Thanks. Is this up by Hole-in-the-Wall's islands, upstream of Carey, or is it here; http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?PP=6194, just downstream? "Carey Islands" aren't marked on the map as such so just want to make sure and I'll add it to Paddle Points (or you could).
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

[QUOTE=Mal Grey;670260]Thanks. Is this up by Hole-in-the-Wall's islands, upstream of Carey, or is it here; http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?PP=6194, just downstream? "Carey Islands" aren't marked on the map as such so just want to make sure and I'll add it to Paddle Points (or you could).[/QUOTE

The islands are a few hundred meters upstream from the derelict carey bridge
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.