Thread: New gumotex owner but what pump

Default New gumotex owner but what pump

Good morning,
    Excited after weeks of reading and changing my mind I have just ordered a Gumotex Pavlova. Looking forward to getting out on the water.

I need to order a pump but not sure which pump and what connector I need on the end of it. Anybody have any suggestions?

I am tempted to get a stirrup pump and an electric one but beyond that I am not sure.

Any other accessories people would recommend?

The pump I have with my Palava ( assume the same as your Pavlova!! ) is a Bestway, Air Tools, 16" Air Hammer. which inflates and deflates. Its a double action and the fitting for the Gumotex is one of the standard couplings that comes with the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by ArunAlec View Post
    The pump I have with my Palava ( assume the same as your Pavlova!! ) is a Bestway, Air Tools, 16" Air Hammer. which inflates and deflates. Its a double action and the fitting for the Gumotex is one of the standard couplings that comes with the pump.
    Yep, one that looks like that!

I've used a battery powered airbed pump (Campingaz branded) before to help with my dad's Sevylor. He uses a similar thing off the car 12v supply. Both needed a tiny bit of topping up with the manual pump, the Gumotex might need a bit more.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks for the replies guys.

Does the Gumotex come with a pressure gauge? If not is there a way to ensure one gets the correct pressure?

Any recommendations on budget paddles to suit the Palava?

I have a gauge but donít know if itís original, I donít think so.

Gumotexes come with their own adaptor (but spares are a good idea, I may have lost one or two...or several) but they don’t come with a gauge (which you probably don’t need, it’s fairly obvious when it feels right).

Can’t help with recommended pumps - except to say that we’ve got ‘the big one’ which is double action, ‘the little one’ which comes on day trips with us and ‘the rubbish cheap one’ for emergencies. Not sure how well an electric pump would work - I read something teccy that made me think it wouldn’t, but happy to be corrected.

Hope you love your gummyboat, I added a third to my fleet this week (ummm - partly chosen because I can pump it up at home & throw it in the back of my van)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used a few different pumps with mine, most of them seem to work. One of them, a Decathlon one, had a slightly too long nozzle, which meant that the non return valve on the boat didn’t do the non return bit.

A pressure gauge is a good idea. I use an inline one that I got cheaply from eBay.

In terms of other kit I usually take one of those microfibre travel towels with me to wipe the boat down so it’s dry before I put it back in the bag.

One of of the best sources of information is The Paddle in my Pack website:

https://inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.com/

You won't be able to overinflate the floor as it has a pressure relief valve. If you're concerned, you can fit them to your side tubes too - there's a how to on Chris's site as linked above. Gumotexes are pretty tough. I seem to remember that the old guidance used to be to pump them up until they felt like a ripe grapefruit (scientific!) but I've always just done mine until they feel firm. Not really much idea what that is in psi but suspect it may be waaay over the recommended 3psi (I pumped one up with the pump that came with my inflatable tent the other day and that does have a pressure gauge which I glanced at then hurridedly looked away from when it seemed to be saying 5+ psi. Obviously at your own risk etc etc but the seams are vulcanised so should be pretty tough. Make sure you let a bit out if it's going to be sat in the sun as the pressure doubles pretty quickly)

You can get a pressure gauge for the push push valves as used on the Palava. Gumotex does one for 30 quid or so, which seems a lot but you'd have to assume it's accurate for that price
    Last edited by The Inflator; 14th-May-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Hi, welcome to the YummyGummy family. As has already been stated, buy a quality " keeper " gauge, then some cheap disposable ones [ £2.50 Eblag]. You can use the quality one to establish the accuracy of the cheapo's, then use them for out on the water days, or to let go with a sales package. Like other's , I use the same principle for the pumps, a good one for the initial inflation at set up for a trip + a cheap rechargable battery electric one, to do the donkey work, then a cheap £5.00 !ltr, hammer pump to go in the dry bag, or abroad, 8-]]. Have fun.
    Mike
    Last edited by bouncyboatbloke; 15th-May-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: error