Thread: Camping ensuite

Default Camping ensuite

After many years good service my camping loo has expired, so what do people use when camping with no facilities ? I have never been a fan of using the alfresco ensuite so am looking for a discreet solution. Would like some thing that packs flat. Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    After many years good service my camping loo has expired, so what do people use when camping with no facilities ? I have never been a fan of using the alfresco ensuite so am looking for a discreet solution. Would like some thing that packs flat. Any ideas ?
    Bog in a baghttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Boginabag-Refill-Pack-Bags/dp/B003G3T1OE/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=51976488126&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv bnGg6WM4gIVrrvtCh22ggVhEAAYASAAEgKgy_D_BwE&hvadid= 259097662998&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007131&hvnetw=g&hvp os=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16290766334959144264&hvtargi d=aud-615477028318%3Akwd-299037862740&hydadcr=5975_1758610&keywords=bog+in+ a+bag&qid=1557330725&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    : ....with a loo seat like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andes-Portable-Folding-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B00EVOCHK2/ref=asc_df_B00EVOCHK2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309036679350&hvpos=1o5&hvne tw=g&hvrand=5693406285889948083&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007131& hvtargid=aud-543776533562la-437355612841&psc=1
    Three orFour pointed stands or seats sink in the ground....

Army issue shovel mate!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

A plasterer's bucket is a comfortable height for an adult. A bit of foam pipe lagging round the top makes it almost luxurious. It's what I use when van camping or at work with no facilities. I put a HD bin bag in and for multiple uses, you just twist the bag closed until next time. A normal black builder's bucket works but is a bit low for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Army issue shovel mate!
    Need very good aim to land it on a shovel

The Bog in a bag bags are supposed to be biodegradable. Black bin bags are not. Also recommend (in some bags) the addition of a coagulant, like wood shavings or cat litter?
    Last edited by laurence milton; 8th-May-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Bog in a baghttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Boginabag-Refill-Pack-Bags/dp/B003G3T1OE/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=51976488126&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv bnGg6WM4gIVrrvtCh22ggVhEAAYASAAEgKgy_D_BwE&hvadid= 259097662998&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007131&hvnetw=g&hvp os=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16290766334959144264&hvtargi d=aud-615477028318%3Akwd-299037862740&hydadcr=5975_1758610&keywords=bog+in+ a+bag&qid=1557330725&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    : ....with a loo seat like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andes-Portable-Folding-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B00EVOCHK2/ref=asc_df_B00EVOCHK2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309036679350&hvpos=1o5&hvne tw=g&hvrand=5693406285889948083&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007131& hvtargid=aud-543776533562la-437355612841&psc=1
    Three orFour pointed stands or seats sink in the ground...……….
    bog in a bag looks good

But not the seat tripod....look at the Andes one. (More room to aim for one!!)

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    But not the seat tripod....look at the Andes one. (More room to aim for one!!)
    Looks like a good solution,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Looks like a good solution,thanks
    Very welcome...works well for me and twas recommended by another to me, when I was on a similar search

Looks like some form of bag with some sort of abshorbant stuff in a comfy seat is the way to go. Thanks for the input. I have avoided some trips because of this issue so here we go.!!!?

Just be aware that compostable bags often fail to fully decompose - put them in a bin.

I have used a bucket with a loo seat on it in the past - various models available commercially. But that doesn't fold flat, so I found a 'Bivvy loo portable camping toilet' on amazon, that does. It is fairly heavy, which is its big drawback, but otherwise seems pretty good.

1. Dig hole. Size is a matter of personal preference.
    2. Squat
    3. Drop
    4. Wipe
    4. Bury

Although my granddaughter came up with a more poetic version when we discussed a similar issue some years ago. She always sung to the tune, which I think is also called, I think:- An Engish country garden, or very similiar

What do you do when you need a poo (or “the loo” if parents around)
    in an English Country Garden?
    Pull down your pants and fertilise the plants
    in an English Country Garden,
    Then find a leaf and wipe your underneath in an English Country Garden.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    1. Dig hole. Size is a matter of personal preference.
    2. Squat
    3. Drop
    4. Wipe
    4. Bury

Although my granddaughter came up with a more poetic version when we discussed a similar issue some years ago. She always sung to the tune, which I think is also called, I think:- An Engish country garden, or very similiar

What do you do when you need a poo (or “the loo” if parents around)
    in an English Country Garden?
    Pull down your pants and fertilise the plants
    in an English Country Garden,
    Then find a leaf and wipe your underneath in an English Country Garden.
    Add to the first bit at 4a - burn paper (assuming conditions allow)

I remember your granddaughter's version from my own childhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon G View Post
    I have used a bucket with a loo seat on it in the past - various models available commercially. But that doesn't fold flat, so I found a 'Bivvy loo portable camping toilet' on amazon, that does. It is fairly heavy, which is its big drawback, but otherwise seems pretty good.
    This. I have one in my campervan although it hasn't been taken out in the kayaks yet!

We usually call 'em cat holes. Just make a little hole, fill it up. Cover it over. Pretty much universal with backcountry travelers over 'ere.

I'd agree with you mostly. But there can be a lot of visitor pressure even in 'wild' places over here, so if it's practical to do so I prefer to bag up in compostable bags and take it away, especially if I stay overnight in fragile and heavily used spots like St Herbert's Isle in Derwent Water.

Add to the first bit at 4a - burn paper (assuming conditions allow)

I remember your granddaughter's version from my own childhood!
    Not a good idea to burn the paper.
    A wildfire was started a few weeks ago near Glenfinnan by this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Malky View Post

Totally agree if conditions are at all risky, hence my disclaimer, which I should have expanded on.

Though, without going into too much detail, I make very sure my carefully burnt loo roll is completely extinguished, nay, saturated, by using an in built fire extinguisher I carry with me at all times And I choose boggy ground where possible, and if it is all bone dry, wouldn't risk it.

Your post does remind me I wanted to post a general fire risk warning, its bad this year already. Will do it in a bit.

"Boggy ground" no pun intended?

The general feeling I get is bag it and bin it is favourite, so I am now the proud owner of some compostable bags that may or may not compost. Within the bags is some stuff to deal with the nasties. I can see the benefit in some places of the dig a hole scenario but age and knee probs do not allow the correct position for this method. So a suitable seat has also been acquired. I have also been told that some human pathogens don't break down in the soil for many years.

Do a test with the compostable bags to see how long they last before leaking if you are planning on trips of a few days. The ones I used in my kitchen started to fall apart up after a couple of days if they had wet contents such as tomatoes or melon.

Totally agree if conditions are at all risky, hence my disclaimer, which I should have expanded on.

Though, without going into too much detail, I make very sure my carefully burnt loo roll is completely extinguished, nay, saturated, by using an in built fire extinguisher I carry with me at all times And I choose boggy ground where possible, and if it is all bone dry, wouldn't risk it.

Your post does remind me I wanted to post a general fire risk warning, its bad this year already. Will do it in a bit.
    We helped the estate factor and the fire service to put it out.
    He said to tell folk not to burn loo paper.
    Also I thought he was amazingly chilled out about it.
    Probably used to it.