Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Wey Gresham Loop - 12th May 2019 - Palace Open Day

Default River Wey Gresham Loop - 12th May 2019 - Palace Open Day

Hi all,

Is anyone interested in paddling on the River Wey Sunday 12th May 2019 - 9.30 a.m for 10 a.m start at the Sam's Neward Lane Car Park.
    Planning on doing the Gresham Loop. Woking Palace will be holding another open day which is interesting since there will be something about bees!

Weather looks fab for the weekend
    Nearest Address: Newark Mill, Newark Ln, Ripley, Woking GU23 6DP
    Google map : https://goo.gl/maps/tEPAoMnCT2UHw1Qi8
    Paddlepoints: http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?PP=106

Park in the car park just past the bridge. There may be a height restriction barrier which is unlocked and can be moved into an open position.
    Put in just over at the footpath near the bridge.

if you have a trolley, i would suggest you bring it since there is a long portage across a field.

Bring food and drink for a picnic at the palace.

I think it will be a about a 5 - 6 hour paddle. We go at the slowest persons pace, no one gets left behind.

Maj
    Last edited by silverbeard; 11th-May-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Up for Saturday, Maj.

Not around this weekend folks, have a good one.

Jim, you can jam with the Minstrel!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Jim, you can jam with the Minstrel!
    I'll convert my guitar into lute mode!

Maj. If the weather stays good, with the early start, how about extending the day with a nip around Triggs and then down to the Gresham loop for luncheon? No worries if not. Jim

Interested but need to be on way home no later than 5pm. Would that be possible?

Sounds like a proper do, what with playing and humming!

Pity as I cannot make it - busy with offspring! Have a good time in the sunshine.

I want to paddle one of Friday, Sat, Sunday. You know what I think of the Gresham Link, and no doubt you can guess my feelings about interrupting a paddle with a three- old-walls-might-have-been-a-stable open day.

If nothing better turns up I might be there. One better thing might be the Triggs Loop in my very slow and directionally unstable Dagger Aftershock, and skip the other loop! However, there is just a chance that I might be on rowing support duties. We will see, and I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    I want to paddle one of Friday, Sat, Sunday. You know what I think of the Gresham Link, and no doubt you can guess my feelings about interrupting a paddle with a three- old-walls-might-have-been-a-stable open day.

If nothing better turns up I might be there. One better thing might be the Triggs Loop in my very slow and directionally unstable Dagger Aftershock, and skip the other loop! However, there is just a chance that I might be on rowing support duties. We will see, and I will keep you posted.
    Peter,

That's what I can't stand about you. You never say what you really mean and just beat around the bush all the time :-)

Maj and Jim,

Did I read recently that someone elected not to do the full Gresham loop to allow a pair of nesting swans some peace ?

I had thought I had Friday free this week but and old friend I haven't seen for nearly 20 years is coming to see me. I think I'll have to work all weekend but I might be able to wiggle things around a bit. I do need to get out for a paddle soon or I might as well sell my boats and take up knitting or summit. :-(

Col

Working unfortunately, have a great trip!

I'll sadly be checking out the pubs and walks around Corfe Castle at the weekend.

I will keep my eyes open for you then, if my delivery rounds take me down to the Purbecks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    I'll sadly be checking out the pubs and walks around Corfe Castle at the weekend.

Looks as though "something better" might have turned up for Friday, so I think I will probably give this trip a miss. However, despite my derogatory comments about the route, this group is one of the best "with whom to just go for a paddle" .

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianO View Post
    I will keep my eyes open for you then, if my delivery rounds take me down to the Purbecks
    I'll just wave at every delivery van that passes us on the A351 incase it's you

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Maj and Jim,

Did I read recently that someone elected not to do the full Gresham loop to allow a pair of nesting swans some peace ?
    Col
    That was me. The full Gresham loop involves closely passing two active swan nests. My preference would be to give them some space and paddle upstream then down, but it's Maj's call. Go on, Col. Wiggle yourself some paddling time!

Quote Originally Posted by richardg View Post
    Interested but need to be on way home no later than 5pm. Would that be possible?
    Richard. You should be fine for getting home in time. I expect we'll be within a couple of miles of the put in for most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    Go on, Col. Wiggle yourself some paddling time!
    I'll try my best

I'll convert my guitar into lute mode!

Maj. If the weather stays good, with the early start, how about extending the day with a nip around Triggs and then down to the Gresham loop for luncheon? No worries if not. Jim

Happy to do that - i have been out paddling (on the water) at 8 a.m and its been fab. Free's up the afternoon to do the other stuff.

I did think about doing Bowers, Triggs and then Gresham... a triple wammy. i think that would be a first!

Easily, hoping to be back by 4pm.

Peter, i bumped into a lovely girl called Jo over the bank holiday weekend. I understand she is the proud owner of one of your old canoes but is a bit nervous of of paddling it solo. I invited her to join us but sadly she can only paddle on the sunday this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post

Col
    Yes, that was jim - gentle soul. I have not seen Samson for ages!!! I wonder if they are still nesting? I will try and check before Sat.

I Know Jo, who, true, bought my Disco 158 during my "try to keep number of boats down a bit period (didn't last). We paddled the Desborough loop. she and her paddle partner, and Sarah and Adrian too.

Jo just needs time in the boat and miles under the keel. Technically they are great.

I've invited her to join us once or twice too

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    I did think about doing Bowers, Triggs and then Gresham... a triple wammy. i think that would be a first!
    For you, maybe (though I think I've only done all three once or maybe twice). For the full set, you need to add in the Newark Priory loop too.

Yes, that was jim - gentle soul. I have not seen Samson for ages!!! I wonder if they are still nesting? I will try and check before Sat.
    Samson can cope with the disturbance, and that nest is a little bit away from the put in. The nest above the portage is right next to the narrowest bit of water, so you can't help but go really close to it, so I think that's why Jim has been avoiding it recently. Once the Ugly Ducklings are hatched and growing, it will matter less.

Tempting though it is, I doubt we'd get 3 loops, plus open day lunch in and back for 4pm. Happy to do Bowers another week though. Hasn't it got an awkward lock portage at the moment?

Re Gresham, we could possibly get out just after the Anger Weir to avoid the nest at the top. Yeah, I'm a gentle soul!

Just about to post a Friday meet too. Weather permitting, Peter and I are doing the Shalford Loops, if anyone fancies joining us.

For you, maybe (though I think I've only done all three once or maybe twice). For the full set, you need to add in the Newark Priory loop too.
    Did this involve a shuttle? I was tempted to start at 6 am and do the full set. Anyway, it can't be as tough as the Woking town centre Basingstoke canal / Wey Weybridge loop / and back

Hasn't it got an awkward lock portage at the moment?
    No, all is good. I paddled it twice over the bank holiday weekend. Also, Adrian Coomber(with the cow patterned canoe) cleared the big tree for us - there are no blockages at the top of the Bowers loop

Just about to post a Friday meet too. Weather permitting, Peter and I are doing the Shalford Loops, if anyone fancies joining us.
    i wonder if this would be suitable for a beginner moving water / solo paddler...

Just a simple question. How many miles is all 3 loops and where is the best place to launch. Thinking for another time.

No, all is good. I paddled it twice over the bank holiday weekend. Also, Adrian Coomber(with the cow patterned canoe) cleared the big tree for us - there are no blockages at the top of the Bowers loop

I wonder if this would be suitable for a beginner moving water / solo paddler...
    I'm not so sure about Shalford loops for a beginner. I'm not much more than a beginner, but at least I know what to expect and there may be new blockages.

That's great about Bowers. Looking forward to doing it unimpeded soon.

So, to confirm. Is it Triggs and Gresham from Tannery on Saturday?

DEF
    Maj
    Jim

POSS
    Richard

Just a simple question. How many miles is all 3 loops and where is the best place to launch. Thinking for another time.
    Mal will know. It's either a shuttle or a long return trip up the navigation, either from Bowers or Send.

A bit ago, in a long moment of Madness I paddled from Guildford Canoe Club to home (by Hurst Park )and all the loops down bar the one currently blocked, including the Desborough Old River and the Sunbury Stream. I was dropped off and walked home so no shuttle. Just a long fun day.

A bit ago, in a long moment of Madness I paddled from Guildford Canoe Club to home (by Hurst Park )and all the loops down bar the one currently blocked, including the Desborough Old River and the Sunbury Stream. I was dropped off and walked home so no shuttle. Just a long fun day.
    That's a serious day out. I'd hate to have been your knees!

Because I have too much time on my hands, I've worked it out. Bowers, Triggs and Gresham loops (from either Bowers Lock or Send) is about 12.5 miles. Add 2 miles on to include the Priory loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Square and compass worth matravers

That's a serious day out. I'd hate to have been your knees!

Because I have too much time on my hands, I've worked it out. Bowers, Triggs and Gresham loops (from either Bowers Lock or Send) is about 12.5 miles. Add 2 miles on to include the Priory loop.
    That's doable, thanks

Did this involve a shuttle? I was tempted to start at 6 am and do the full set. Anyway, it can't be as tough as the Woking town centre Basingstoke canal / Wey Weybridge loop / and back
    No shuttle. Its only another 3 or 4 miles extra over the normal "double".

I'm not so sure about Shalford loops for a beginner. I'm not much more than a beginner, but at least I know what to expect and there may be new blockages.

Mal will know. It's either a shuttle or a long return trip up the navigation, either from Bowers or Send.
    Jim beat me to it with the maths! As for beginner, Shalford loops are dead easy, you've done them loads anyway.

Square and compass worth matravers
    An excellent recommendation.

Right.!! Day pass in place. Confirmation that I can be home in time to attend a function I have very little interest in,but a deep feeeling of obligation. Saturday is looking like a compromise of a good paddle with good company followed by a dull evening .Imposed on me by well meaning old f---ts who feel my company may improve the evening. I will therefore be abliged to drink enough good quality real ale to require me to consider apologies in the morning while nursing the obligatory hang over. The wife will then be saying why did you say that ? I will then struggle to remember which inappropriate comment she would refer to as I am sure there will be many.. anyway I digress. I will paddle Saturday.

Iíve been given outline planning permission to join you on Saturday if thatís ok.
    I donít have to get off early so, if Iíve got any energy left, I might stay after school to do the Priory loop as well in twilightís last gloaming.

Maj
    Jim
    Richard
    Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Much as I would have liked to join you I think I'll be replacing a radiator on my sick car.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Forecast now says we may get a wee bit soggy on Saturday. It might change by then, but Sunday looks like a much drier day. I don't want to invalidate day passes and planning permission though, so will go with the flow (unless it's cats and dogs - then I'll stay home and eat cake!)

Just for info guys; no sign of any work blocking the Majic Stick portage for the Priory Loop, if you extend. So far, its just the other weir being worked on.

Just for info guys; no sign of any work blocking the Majic Stick portage for the Priory Loop, if you extend. So far, its just the other weir being worked on.
    Thanks, Mal. That's useful to know.

Hello all sounds like you are planning a great paddle if the cats and dogs stay at home I am involved in stag on the dart. Hope to make the next trip
    Graham

Sunday would be even better for me, especially if the weather is better.

We'll need some direction from our illustrious paddle proposer. I can do Sat or Sun and would rather stay dry if possible. Bizarrely, the BBC South weather girl tonight finished talking about Friday, then said 'and on into Sunday blah blah', completely missing out Saturday. I had to rewind to make sure I hadn't misheard (I'd been on the cider), but no, Saturday wasn't mentioned at all....odd.

We'll need some direction from our illustrious paddle proposer. I can do Sat or Sun and would rather stay dry if possible. Bizarrely, the BBC South weather girl tonight finished talking about Friday, then said 'and on into Sunday blah blah', completely missing out Saturday. I had to rewind to make sure I hadn't misheard (I'd been on the cider), but no, Saturday wasn't mentioned at all....odd.

Folks, if we changed it to Sunday, would that cause problem? Rich?

Hi Maj
    Depending on Rich's availability for Sunday, I'd wait a bit before making a decision. Saturday's forecast has eased a little since this afternoon and will most likely change one way or the other.

Saturday or Sunday ok by me

If you want to be on the Palace open day, isn't Sat your only choice?

Enjoy!

Enjoy!
    Just checked - the Palace open day is 11th and 12th May, so all is well.

Enjoy!
    Nope, its both days according to their website.

Folks,

Stu can make it sunday too. I will invite Jo too and just to see if i can teach her new skills

Just requested the title to be changed to the 12th May...

Def

Maj
    Jim
    Richard
    Martin
    Stu

Maybe
    Jo

depending on how confident / fast Jo is, i will hang back with her if needed.

Thanks Admin / Mods for changing the date.

Folks, just went to Tannery and discovered the footpath to the bridge is closed. It looks like they are doing some serious work on the river wey on the entire woking stretch from guildford to woking. We need an alternative meeting point.. i am thinking the newwark lane car park near the ruin. I have checked the gate and its not locked for those will large cars... happy to consider other options though

Maj
    Last edited by silverbeard; 10th-May-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Clearer instructions for car park please, although I may not come under the new, or any, circumstances

Peter, Impcanoe and Aftershock

Clearer instructions for car park please, although I may not come under the new, or any, circumstances

Peter, Impcanoe and Aftershock
    Updated the instructions for car park Peter, hope you had a good paddle today

Def coming

Def

Maj
    Jim
    Richard
    Martin
    Stu

Maybe
    Jo
    Impcanoe - maybe

Looking forward to it, Maj. Do you know how long the tannery path is closed for?

Found it on Google Maps.

Looking forward to it, Maj. Do you know how long the tannery path is closed for?

Not sure Jim, looks proper dug up this morning. Not sure how long these works are going to last for.

Is the link to the car park / google maps working for everyone? It does not seem to be working for some facebook folk

Not sure Jim, looks proper dug up this morning. Not sure how long these works are going to last for.

Is the link to the car park / google maps working for everyone? It does not seem to be working for some facebook folk
    That's a shame. I may pop over for a walk round myself later.

The Google car park link works for me, but the paddlepoints one is for the Tannery. Paddlepoints link for the Newark Bridge car park is http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=107.

thanks jim, just updated it. Weather looks nice now but was chucking it down earlier.

Def

Maj
    Jim
    Richard
    Martin
    Stu
    Jo

Maybe

Impcanoe - maybe

See you in the morning folks!

Nice of folks,

All three loops! very pleased - Triggs, Gresham and Mals Priory loop. Pretty tired to be honest.

Enjoyed the music at the Palace - Thanks Martin and Jim

Sorry did not get to see much of you Stu, i got your message a bit too late.

Ellery, hope you managed to start your fire nice see you again.

Alan, get your account sorted so you can start posting on here - perhaps give an admin a shout.

Well done Jo - the solo paddler!

Impcanoe, i did like the look of your new dagger. i think i saw something similar in our canoe club - will give it try.

thanks all for coming. see you again next one

cheers

Maj

An excellent day, Maj. Thanks for organising. Can we look forward to a Maj blog? :-) You've got to put all those photos to good use.

Well done to Jo for keeping that big boat straight and true, and to Peter for staying upright in that tiddly little kayak.

Pretty knackered myself. I think we did 11 or 11.5 miles and only one swan attack. It was good to get the Priory loop in, even if the portage is now a bit longer.

How did you guys get on with the swans?

I went past the first fine, then had to exit quickly after passing (Thought it was after the development)

Then saw the one after the development and decided on a different route as Alison wasn't a huge fan of going near another

(Added the first to paddlepoints for others ref, didn't see exactly where the second was..)
    Last edited by Ellery; 13th-May-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Wonderful day out, thanks to everyone. I really needed that after almost five months out of a canoe. The Priory Loop was especially picturesque and well worth the portage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellery View Post
    How did you guys get on with the swans?
    The one guarding the nest near the get-out before the Mill was a bit aggressive but I managed to keep him at paddle length. The legendary Sampson, after the mill, was nowhere to be seen and Iíve still to meet him.

Richard took one for the team on the bows just before the get out. As Martin says, Samson was nowhere to be seen when we passed. It must have been Ellery's red boat which made him see...red!

Thanks Maj. great day out, sorry I cut it short but was a bit pooped. Good weather, good company and entertainment thrown in. Looking forward to the next one!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast