Thread: Armerlite boats

Default Armerlite boats

hello, I have a Robson/Brooks 15 Armerlite boat, after some time owning the beauty I have noticed I'm getting a lot of glass fiber rash when I handle it, due (i'm guessing) UV damage from storing it outside, (covered with tarp most of the time) I have tried to contact the company but finding it hard to contact them, does any one know of a way of recoating or reskinning this material? or does the company offer this kind of service? or of any company that can help? has any other Armerlite boat owners experainced this exfolating of the hull material? cheers

Hi wavey davey
    I have the brooks 16 in the only colour to have black . I have had mine for 10 years now it is stored outside too but with no cover . And i have never had a problem with it.
    . I have fitted keeleasy to it as the bow and stern were getting a bit worn from launching landing and scrapping . But the rest of the hull is fine.

I believe that Amerlite is similar to Twin-Tex which was used by Esquif for a number of years -- a weave of polypropylene and fiberglass. The shedding of glass fibres in older Twin-Tex boats was endemic. Paint and epoxy won't adhere to the poly, so I would stay away from that. I do know one person who had a good result in waxing the interior of this boat.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by digger driver View Post
    Hi wavey davey
    I have the brooks 16 in the only colour to have black . I have had mine for 10 years now it is stored outside too but with no cover . And i have never had a problem with it.
    . I have fitted keeleasy to it as the bow and stern were getting a bit worn from launching landing and scrapping . But the rest of the hull is fine.
    thanksDigger driver,
    I thanks it must be some other thing then, I fitted skid plates to bow and stern, home made ones out of kevlar and poxy, holding up well so far? happy paddling

thank you for the points of view guys really helps, goingot keep looking into reparis did find a short video online on how to patch a hole but no recoats