Thread: Cedar Strip Light Restoration - Advice for Epoxy and Varnish

Default Cedar Strip Light Restoration - Advice for Epoxy and Varnish

Hi, so I’m new here and guess what I have a question. I hope to be more involved than just asking questions but we all have to start somewhere.

I am fortunate enough to live right next to the Norfolk Broads and I have just acquired a Cedar Strip canoe that needs some light restoration.

Basically it has some marks and scratches on the hull and requires a small repair to the bow (will need a small piece of fibreglass grafting in). There are quite a few scratches, so I plan on sanding back to bottom these out. I plan on using West Systems 105/207 but not sure if I will need to coat the whole hull or just the parts where new glass is laid? What’s the advice?

Once I have completed the epoxy I will apply a few coats of varnish (sanding between coats) and finally a Polish with Finess-It II. What varnish is recommended? I want to achieve that deep gloss finish and I don’t want to buy a varnish that will react with the epoxy.

all advice is greatly appreciated, this is my first attempt at renovating a cedar strip canoe so I don’t really want to bugger it up.
    Last edited by Slackey; 28th-April-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Hi, I've found the "Build/Repair" section of http://forum.woodenboat.com to be really useful. Post some pics on there and on a good day you'll get in depth discussion of the merits of different products.

Thank you for the reply. I will have a look on that site.

I will post some pics below (if I can, on my phone at the moment).

I have done some digging and I believe the canoe is either a Skeena Rapid or Skeena 16. Maybe someone could confirm for me??

Nice boat. Is it the one that was on Ebay a few days back?

Yes, it was. It was local to me so I grabbed it whilst I had the chance.

Congrats, I was keeping half an eye on it myself. It seemed a good balance between needing a bit of a tidy up whilst not being too daunting. Good luck with the repairs. Look forward to seeing the 'after' photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackey View Post
    ..... I plan on using West Systems 105/207 but not sure if I will need to coat the whole hull or just the parts where new glass is laid? What’s the advice?

Once I have completed the epoxy I will apply a few coats of varnish (sanding between coats) and finally a Polish with Finess-It II. What varnish is recommended? I want to achieve that deep gloss finish and I don’t want to buy a varnish that will react with the epoxy.

all advice is greatly appreciated, this is my first attempt at renovating a cedar strip canoe so I don’t really want to bugger it up.
    I would only epoxy where the fresh glass is - plus a small margin to avoid any hard lines.

Fully cured epoxy reacts with almost nothing BUT small quantities of unreacted amine hardener can prevent the varnish from ever curing - leaving an ungodly sticky mess (been there, done that).

1 - measure your resin and hardener accurately - exactly following the mix ratio advised by the maker - I use digital scales but there are other methods.
    2 - mix it really really well - two full minutes by the clock is none too long,
    3 - Leave it to cure fully - I'd not think about varnish for at least a week - and epoxies like to cure at UK summer temperatures
    4 - wash off any possible amine blush - use soap and vinegar - rinse with water and allow to dry - do not attempt to sand before washing.
    5 - Test sand a very small patch - any hint of gooey is bad news - dry dust is good.

Now you can think about varnish - I like International's and Johnson's outdoor rated yacht varnish - just follow the instructions on the tin - but there are many other choices - some swear by two pack polyurethane - whichever you choose, do a practice piece before you tackle the boat.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply and tips. I have had a good look over the hull today and it appears that nowhere actually needs a glass repair. There is some white blooming where I thought a repair would be necessary, however on closer inspection this appears to be only on the varnish top coat. I can only assume that the boat was stored for s number of years with what looks like bubble wrap around it (some big round marks that match large bubble wrap) and moisture had settled and caused the white on the varnish.

I plan on sanding down this weekend and preparing for the varnish. I am considering Epifanes Clear Gloss.....any advice for or against this?? Although I will look at the varnishes you suggest also.

Never used it but it seems well regarded, try a search on wooden boat.
    This post may vanish at any moment.