Thread: Newbie in Cornwall

Default Newbie in Cornwall

Hello everyone, my name is Nick and I'm a new member from Cornwall.
    I've been paddling open canoes for about 12 years and been kayaking for about 30 years now, but open boats are what I love.
    I mainly paddle on the Helford River down here in Cornwall chasing the Mackerel shoals.
    Currently I have an old Venture Prospector 16, but have decided to take the plunge and buy a better boat.
    This is a great forum and have used it a lot over the years so thought it was high time I added to it.
    Best Wishes,
    Nick.

Hello and Welcome!

Hope to see some photos and hear about adventures in your new canoe. Do you know what you're getting yet?
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hello Mal, thanks for the welcome, as far as what boat to get, for years I've thought about getting an Ally. I used one once in Norway and was seriously impressed with it. I love the thought of being able to drive to Scotland with nothing on the roof of the car! I wonder how saltwater would affect the aluminium poles though, any ideas?
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    Hello Mal, thanks for the welcome, as far as what boat to get, for years I've thought about getting an Ally. I used one once in Norway and was seriously impressed with it. I love the thought of being able to drive to Scotland with nothing on the roof of the car! I wonder how saltwater would affect the aluminium poles though, any ideas?
    Nick.
    I have one. Its a superb bit of kit, and has been to Sweden and Norway. Norwegian kit is designed to survive Scandinavia, so it has to be good. Not as fast as some canoes, but very capable. Look through my Rogen blog and review. Mine is the 15DR, suited to river use, slower on big open water. There are versions less inclined to turn on rivers, but faster in a straight line.

I've paddled it on the sea a couple of times. The salt does get onto the poles, and I wiped them all thoroughly afterwards. They won't corrode, but the springs inside might, so I also sprayed some silica spray into the tubes and covering the springs. I've seen no signs of corrosion since, its 3 years on now.

If you've got space to store one, and can carry it, a "hard shell" will ultimately be more efficient. But the Ally does the job extremely well, packs into a bag (OK, its a big bag!) and is also significantly lighter to carry than most canoes.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle