Thread: Wooden Canoe Free to a Good Home

Default Wooden Canoe Free to a Good Home

Hi Chaps,

Due to changes in health and circumstances, I can no longer go canoeing. However, I have plenty other hobbies that canoeing has given me such as wood carving and leatherworking in addition to my main passion, gardening.

As a result I have my canoe which, due to damage caused by hitting a rock on the Brathay, has sat on its stand in my ex-wife's garage since 2012. It is holed below the water line and leaks badly enough that I couldn't repair it myself. Due to her present condition (hole and seven years of sitting in a garage) I am offering her free to a good home as my ex-wife will be cleaning out the garage and if no-one takes the canoe, she'll be broken up for firewood and she still has too much potential not too mention all the wonderful memories she has given me.

Someone with a little more experience in such repairs or the financial will to have her fixed, will, I am sure end up with the most fabulous boat. She was made in Northern Ireland by Valkyrie Craft. Actually, I've just visited their website and the canoe pictured on the main header is my very own canoe, Mirrormere! Photo taken by my dear friend, Alan, on Coniston Water at the time of her maiden voyage in 2008. I was very surprised to see it!

There'll be a few paddles to go as well and my only stipulation to this offer is that you are able to come and collect it from my ex's garage in Penicuik, Midlothian. Don't worry, things are pretty amicable between us and anyone coming to collect her (the canoe!) will be made most welcome.

Here she is in all her glory:

Name:  18846353278_fb3fedf3eb_b[2].jpg
Views: 579
Size:  72.5 KB

Here's hoping one of you can save her...first to respond, etc, etc.

All the best,
    Graeme
    Chaste Snow-drop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
    And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

What a great offer , although it might be worthwhile showing pics of the damage so people know what they're letting themselves in for.
    Is it the 14' or 16' model ?
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Hi, I will pm you about the canoe shortly.

Hello I have sent you a private message. If canoe still available I would like to take it. Can pick up this weekend

Hello I have sent you a private message. If canoe still available I would like to take it. Can pick up this weekend

Sorry chaps, my canoe is to be collected on Wednesday by a kind member. Thank you all for your interest and thanks to @Magikelly for helping me arrange this.

Best,
    Graeme

Canoe collected today by an absolute gentleman whom I'm sure will give Mirrormere a wonderful new home and the resulting fun, frolics and adventure for himself and his family. Best of British to you, sir!

My sincere and profound thanks to this amazing forum, its members and of course, Mr John Kelly, the grand chap who owns and runs this virtual canoeing haven.

Goodbye, my darling Mirrormere and a very many 'Bon Voyage' for the years to come.

With a heavy heart yet gladness too,
    Graeme

Now I'm back in the land of the not quite so dog-tired after driving back from a very far place indeed I wanted to take a moment to pay a more public tribute to the extraordinary generosity and kindness that Graeme has shown in both the act of donating this beautiful canoe and paddles to our family so we can begin our canoeing journey - and also trusting that some random bloke from the opposite end of the country would indeed complete the round trip in the first place!

Understanding something of why Graeme's canoeing journey has come to a premature end makes it doubly important that we bring Mirrormere back to her pomp and back on the water (in which endeavour I'll be manning the phones later today).

I won't witter on, as there's clearly some dust getting into my eyes, but I'd echo Graeme's words about the sense of community that is so clearly evident here, and once again pay tribute to his truly extraordinary act, which I will endeavour to repay where and whenever I can.

With the kindest of wishes Graeme, we'll take the very best of care of her for you.

John and the whole Edwards Family.

Nice work fellas, the website is just the village, it's the inhabitants (you guys!) that provide the community. Look forward to see her back on the water soon, John, don't forget the pictures!
    Cheers,

Alan

I find it very gratifying to read posts such as the two previous to this one, where members acknowledge the helpfulness and sense of community that is prevalent on this forum.

Whilst in a minority, it's a shame that there a some members who do not live by the same credo and just suck the community dry of information with never so much as a thankyou or an acknowledgement that they have received said help. It takes all sorts I guess, but that doesn't make it right .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Don't sweat it old man, those kind of people are usually transient and, like all things, pass. They also have a very distinct personality type that doesn't work too well in the real world and so their life is less complete and they are less content. Karma (or the concept of) gets them in the end. Always look on the bright side
    Cheers,

Alan

Can I just say, Red Kite and his beautiful canoe, along with his blogs of trips and wild camps in the Lake District were one of the inspirations that led me into this great pastime. It has also reinforced the fact that I MUST build a lapstrake canoe, they look so good on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Don't sweat it old man, those kind of people are usually transient and, like all things, pass. They also have a very distinct personality type that doesn't work too well in the real world and so their life is less complete and they are less content. Karma (or the concept of) gets them in the end. Always look on the bright side
    Thanks Alan, I know you're right and most of the time those moments slide on by, but just occasionally I'm reminded of them and feel the need to speak out.
    Probably won't happen again for a while . Maybe I need to now change my user name to Old and Grumpy.
    Apologies to previous posters for diversifying from the OP.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Thanks Alan, I know you're right and most of the time those moments slide on by, but just occasionally I'm reminded of them and feel the need to speak out.
    Everyone needs to vent sometimes...

Maybe I need to now change my user name to Old and Grumpy.
    Now you know I can make that happen....

Apologies to previous posters for diversifying from the OP.
    Not required
    Cheers,

Alan