Thread: Quandry

Default Quandry

Hello fellow paddlers! As an exciting new season awaits, I am mulling over a few things. I currently have a Discovery 119 that I bought for solo paddling last year. It is brilliant for topping on to a car on my own and is big enough for messing about on the Nene in. However, due to it's short length, it doesn't track very well and it's hard to build up any speed. I also have a Hou 17'. This was my first canoe and can fit the wife and kids in (yay?). It is very heavy and I find it almost impossible to top onto my car on my own. However, it is lovely to paddle. I sit at the stern and paddle on my own while the wife and kids chill out, it's easy and you can build up good speed without many corrections.

now...

The wife and kids don't really come canoeing much. We have a cruiser moored at Oundle, so their river time is spent on there instead. I am thinking about selling both canoes and buying a bigger solo canoe, such as a Mad River 14TT. My thinking is that a larger solo canoe would track more like the current Hou, but I'd still be able to top it on my own.

thoughts?.......

Corbypaddler

sound thinking, keep an eye on the weights though
    Cheers,

Alan

Test paddle a Silverbirch Firefly 14. Unless you need to keep the tandem option, or are a big lad wanting to hurl it at big water, the FF is just a far better boat for solo. Quicker, better tracking, lighter and easier to handle off the water (even the cheapest, heaviest spec saves about 5kg compared to the TT), and provided you choose a nice colour, you'll look like a gentleman of taste and refinement, rather than a thug in a tub. It's a touch more expensive, but worth every penny.

There's a review on my youtube channel.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.
    (and my youtube channel)

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    Test paddle a Silverbirch Firefly 14. Unless you need to keep the tandem option, or are a big lad wanting to hurl it at big water, the FF is just a far better boat for solo. Quicker, better tracking, lighter and easier to handle off the water (even the cheapest, heaviest spec saves about 5kg compared to the TT), and provided you choose a nice colour, you'll look like a gentleman of taste and refinement, rather than a thug in a tub. It's a touch more expensive, but worth every penny.

There's a review on my youtube channel.

Yes, that looks like a great option. I might be being thick here, but what is the difference between the Duracore and the Duralite? (apart from 300 quid)

You may well be better off with a different boat, but have you considered fitting a roller behind the rear bar of your roof rack, to help load the Hou 17?

Quote Originally Posted by Corbypaddler View Post
    Yes, that looks like a great option. I might be being thick here, but what is the difference between the Duracore and the Duralite? (apart from 300 quid)
    Don't worry, I've found it:

https://www.silverbirchcanoes.com/canoes/firefly-14/

Also here (with a bit more info):

https://www.silverbirchcanoes.com/construction-2/