Thread: Basingstoke canal

Default Basingstoke canal

Which is the best place to acces the canal and how busy is it usually, I paddle a Penobscot 164 and am kind of a begginer so donít want it to busy with boats and stuff. also how wide or narrow is the canal on average?

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

The Basingstoke Canal is usually pretty quiet, although on a sunny bank holiday weekend there will inevitably be more traffic. It's definitely a great place to practise your paddling though.

There are many access points, but the best section is from Winchfield Hurst to Odiham Castle (the put in point is here http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=123). There's a free car park with easy access to the canal. The height barrier is just high enough for me to get under in an old X-trail with boat on top. The car park is locked at night. Launch and head south west towards Odiham down a beautiful, quiet and rural stretch. After 2.5/3 miles you'll pass Colt Hill Wharf, which is the only possibly busy bit on this stretch with a kayak club and boat hire.

On average, I'd say the canal is about 8-10 meters across, with some narrower bits and some wider turning points/winding holes. It's plenty wide enough to avoid the odd narrow boat - just keep to the right of them.

For great photos of this stretch of canal, put 'A Spring Evening in Hampshire' in the search box for a look at one of Mal Grey's blogs.

Jim

What Jim said. The other direction is almost as pleasant. All the launch points are on Paddle points.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle