Thread: Friday 19th April (or poss Saturday) Shalford loops?

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Default Friday 19th April (or poss Saturday) Shalford loops?

Looking at the next little heatwave this coming weekend, I'm thinking of the Shalford loops on the Wey. Friday 19th April (being a public holiday for those not self-employed!) or Saturday 20th? I'll probably be on the Wey on both days, but does anyone fancy joining me?

10am for 10.30 from Broadford Bridge? Probably the same figure of 8 route as last time with a leisurely lunch at the meadows.
    Over and out
    Jim

Yes I am up for this was talking to nick yesterday and we were thinking of doing bowers and triggs lops on Saturday

Graham

Well as Graham said. We thought a launch from Bowers and then do the Bowers and then the Triggs loops.
    We originally thought Sat as we all had some commitments Sun and Mon.

What do think? - slightly different but much the same!

Nick

Nick and Graham
    Yours is a nice idea. Has anyone been around Bowers recently? I've never done it, but there are several hazards showing on Paddlepoints and a (possibly) tricky put in. Open to ideas though...just not danger!

I could be a "maybe" for something on Friday or Saturday. If things carry on going to plan at work (that's fcuked it) I should be able to manage at least one day off in the middle of the job.

Must admit we have not done Bowers for some time but we thought it was worth a trip, either way I don't think we are up to anything too exciting not when we have chocolate to get back for!

Hope you can make it Colin not touched base for ages.

Nick

The trouble with the Bowers Loop is that, unless some enterprising soul with a chainsaw and waders has been, the weir pool and a bit beyond is completely blocked by a tangle of mature trees. My experience, but not I think for over a year now, is that you can walk a bit further down the bank and eventually find somewhere to put in (all this on river left, and there is a barbed wire fence to negotiate too.). Even then there is a possibility of fallen trees after this winter.

However, its splendid bit of wildness with no tow path and soon after the put in, a sturdy fence river left. I have disturbed a sleeping fox, and grazing deer.

I'm off to the Principality, taking the Spanish Fly on Tour to see if i can sell it.

Impcanoe

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    The trouble with the Bowers Loop is that, unless some enterprising soul with a chainsaw and waders has been, the weir pool and a bit beyond is completely blocked by a tangle of mature trees. My experience, but not I think for over a year now, is that you can walk a bit further down the bank and eventually find somewhere to put in (all this on river left, and there is a barbed wire fence to negotiate too.). Even then there is a possibility of fallen trees after this winter.
    Impcanoe
    Peter, do you think it would be safer to paddle this loop upstream then ?

Nick, I'll try my best to get out, but it might be that I don't commit to anything groupish and just manage a little toddle on my own :-(

Would people prefer Friday or Saturday? I think I'll be doing both as the weather looks great.

My preference would be the Shalford loops. as I'm not sure I'm confident with Bowers. However, if enough people were going I would possibly join in. I'm just concerned that Bowers has a reputation for tricky blockages and faster bits, which might make it hard work going upstream?

hello Jim last time myself and found no issues on the bowers loop and did in wooden canoe nick is busy on Friday but up for Saturday on shalford loop or any place wey
    I am poss up paddle both days graham

Here's a tentative plan then...

Friday - Broadford bridge - St Catherines and Unstead loops, possibly missing out the busy Guildford bit beyond the meadows lunch stop.

Saturday - Bowers Rd - Bowers and Triggs loops.

or...

save Shalford for another time and have a gentle bimble from the Tannery on Friday - launch into the Broadmead Cut (as there's no angling at the moment) upstream for a leisurely lunch at the palace, then the Priory loop (if the work hasn't started on the weir).

Saturday - Bowers and Triggs.
    Last edited by JimHou; 17th-April-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Jim

Ref the master plan I am up for the Saturday outing, Bowers with saws and other assorted extras with 10:00 meet for a 10:30 out.

As Graham said currently I cannot do Friday so I leave Broadford bridge to you. Enjoy as the weather is looking good.

Cheers Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nickout View Post
    Jim

Ref the master plan I am up for the Saturday outing, Bowers with saws and other assorted extras with 10:00 meet for a 10:30 out.

As Graham said currently I cannot do Friday so I leave Broadford bridge to you. Enjoy as the weather is looking good.

Cheers Nick
    That's Saturday's paddle sorted then. 10am at Bowers Lane (with saws)
    Nick
    Graham
    Jim
    Maj (possibly)
    Col (possibly)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Eye View Post
    I am poss up paddle both days graham
    Graham. On Friday, I might do an upstream paddle on the mill loop with lunch at the palace. Let me know if you fancy it. Jim

Boys, I'm going to have to pass, I'm afraid. Hopefully the pressure will be off towards the end of next week. (I might have a weekend off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Boys, I'm going to have to pass, I'm afraid. Hopefully the pressure will be off towards the end of next week. (I might have a weekend off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    See you soon, Col.

Brilliant two days paddling - just faffing about on the water. thanks folks!

Maj