Thread: Paddle down the Monnow (13-14 April 2019)

Default Paddle down the Monnow (13-14 April 2019)

As seems customary after a thoroughly enjoyed paddle I have put together a short blogg, I doubt the photography or the descriptions are up to the standards of some of the spectacular ones I frequently read. I can only hope to make up for it by posting it so quickly!

The paddle all began at Llangau where I met Peter, Lee and Tom. Shortley we arranged out shuttle to move the cars to Skenfrith and then set of with the sun high above us. This was one of the few paddles where there have been more red than green canoes, As it should be! 😉

A little Bit of surfing, admittedly we spent quite a while here!

Continuing back down the river with perfect blue skies

A little bit of far here crossing the tree, tom managed to slide under laying forwards of his canoe, I couldn’t quite manage so pushed the canoe under and climb over the tree, hoping to meet the boat on the other side. Peter and Lee with the fabulous rocker on their boats had to climb over and pull the boats over aswell. Talking about this after we realised it could have been made a lot easier by making use of any of our saws on some branched to the left!

Day 2 we paddled from Skenfrith to Monmouth. I have fewer pictures from this day, ankles failed me a few times when I tried standing up to take some! The paddle relatively simple apart from 1 fun bit of water that felt almost like a stepped drop at Tregate Bridge, I think we all mostly managed to avoid the big rocks, although I clipped a few of the smaller ones! Sadly, I wasn’t quick enough to get images of that part. This was followed by the faf of getting down the large weir before entering Monmouth the fighting to get through the tree blocked river straight after.

The Lambs were clearly to see us reaching the end of the paddle!

I definitely enjoyed the trip and I feel confident all others did aswell!

I think we all agreed at the end that given the choice we would probably do day 1 twice and there were so many play opportunities and some reasonable surfing..

A great day out in excellent company (if a little too bendable and agile). As befits a modest young man, Ellery makes nothing of the fact that he led most of the way, chose excellent lines, and stayed up right.

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Looks like a good trip was had in fine weather.

Look you had a great trip hope you fill like do more moving water see you soon may be a trip on Medway

Graham

Day 2 is the better day if the river is higher, several features appear that are not present at the present low flows.

Hi Paul. Seemed strange without you on the Monnow, which was higher than I had previously experienced. We took a long time on the first day, because of the excellent surfing opportunities we found and couldn't resist.

Regards to you and Kate

Peter

Nice Blogg Ellery, looks like you all had a fab time!

Maj

Nothing wrong with the blogg or the pictures. Keep em coming
    John

Ellery super trip - still disappointed I was unable to join in, looking forward to joining the next outing

Nick

I'll echo peter's comment, it was a good couple of days in excellent company. The level was a tad higher than January. I only grounded twice! if that.

Thanks to Ellery for instigating the trip. Good to meet you and Tom. Roll on the next one.

Looks grand, Ellery, glad you had a successful trip.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle