Thread: Age is no barrier

Default Age is no barrier

Watch this of you need a little inspiration

Can't view it in the Land of UK, I'm afraid.

Huh, that's wierd. Its just a youtube vid. Must be the copyright on the music.

Well, I can see it over 'ere, and whilst it is lovely scenery etc etc, I frankly think your comment is just a little ageist. Actually, not just a little. I'm guessing the folks in that clip are probably younger than i am, or the same age at most. I'm 72 and I'm still doing the same things out there i have always done, just me & the dog. I may be "that ol' pensioner lady" but I'm still seeing places most people only ever dream about. There is no "age" to all this stuff. You just do whatever you want.

I think you are being over sensitive. I've written "Age is no barrier" and attached a video of an older couple doing a trip on the Broken Skull and Nahanni Rivers. If that's ageist then I'm a giraffe.

IMHO, to be "ageist" I would have had to say something like "these people are too old to be doing this.

We now live in an "outrage culture" and frankly, your response confirms this.

I think our colleague's reply '...just a little ageist.' falls a little short of qualification for inclusion in our 'outrage culture', as you term it

Bobt, rather harsh response, From one older, I think, than other commentators here, and just back from a weekend on the Monnow . Its not age that holds one back, that is just a number. It is the physical side. I am very lucky, having played rugby, skied, white water paddled, cycled and sailed, not exactly "looking after oneself", still to be able, just about, to continue to paddle and sail, all though infirmity has deprived me of skiing, and I think, cycling.

But I agree, "age" is not a barrier. It is perhaps coupled with the example of a couple of youngsters out and about.

I suppose it might be considered a sad day when the outrage culture means that people are being outraged by people being outraged.

Changing the tone but staying with the headline topic:

Age 8 years
    Last edited by Chris_B; 15th-April-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    I suppose it might be considered a sad day when the outrage culture means that people are being outraged by people being outraged.
    The faux should be our foe

Can I just say that I was, and remain, FAR from "outraged" (whatever that means in this context... ). I just don't see what anyone's age has to do with any particular achievement or activity, any more than their gender does. If one wants to acknowledge something, or perhaps give some praise to someone, it is irritatingly patronizing to add "... for your age" or perhaps "...for a girl", as in "that was amazing... for someone your age", or "you do that really well.... for a girl". If the OP had seen that video and had been struck by the terrific surroundings or the skills it demonstrated, why not just post the video and say something like "This is a great trip to look at, so i'm sharing it" ? So, yeah, ageist.

Agreed sk8r. I have no problem being the age I am, it would be ridiculous to have. I have a slight objection to people asking me if I have retired since this comes with a whole new connotation. I thought I was weathering reasonably well 'for my age'. :-)

There's chronological age, which I agree is just a number, and what you could call biological age, which does make a difference. That said, both can act as a spur to action. A colleague turned 50 a couple of years ago and decided she needed to get fit to help towards a healthy retirement. She now competes in triathlon events.
    Another friend took up landscape photography in his late 80s on the grounds that his bladder woke him up before dawn every day anyway so he may as well get out and enjoy it!

What a lot of attention seeking fuss over the harmless title of a new post. I'm into my seventies and I can't read anything into the wording that is offensive to me .... or 'ageist', whatever that means.

I wouldn't blame Bobt f he never again bothered posting a link to what is evidently an interesting video. Just a pity we can't see it ourselves this side of the Atlantic.

You are definitely not a giraffe Bobt.

Regards,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick TQP View Post
    What a lot of attention seeking fuss over the harmless title of a new post. I'm into my seventies and I can't read anything into the wording that is offensive to me .... or 'ageist', whatever that means.

I wouldn't blame Bobt f he never again bothered posting a link to what is evidently an interesting video. Just a pity we can't see it ourselves this side of the Atlantic.

You are definitely not a giraffe Bobt.

Regards,

Nick
    The voice of reason at last
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Agreed sk8r. I have no problem being the age I am, it would be ridiculous to have. I have a slight objection to people asking me if I have retired since this comes with a whole new connotation. I thought I was weathering reasonably well 'for my age'. :-)
    We are Adrian .... I'm often mistaken for somebody ten years younger. It must be the paddling having a positive health benefit - or it the wine?
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

what is the matter with people, why not just say thanks Bobt for sharing that great video about two people having
    a fantastic adventure in a stunning wilderness, and yes it is inspiring in so many ways.
    Thank you so much Bobt for sharing their video with us.
    Regards
    Mal T

(edited to re-word)

Clearly bobt isn't ageist! He shared a lovely video, thats it! There was no ulterior motive behind his post, so please don't project your own insecurties onto someone else, it's not fair at all.

Keep posting bobt and thank you for the video you shared, me and my husband throughly enjoyed watching it

Have a geat day all, take care, enjoy easter and hopefully the weather

(edited for typo)
    Last edited by Yemaya; 16th-April-2019 at 09:48 PM.

To those of you who appreciated the video (and could see it), thanks for your comments. To those of you who didn't, I appologise if the title of my thread upset you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    To those of you who appreciated the video (and could see it), thanks for your comments. To those of you who didn't, I appologise if the title of my thread upset you.
    I've just discovered I can now view the video - and I enjoyed every minute of it. Many thanks for posting the link, Bobt

Regards,

Nick

Thanks, Nick - I can see it now. I'll watch it later (28minutes long)