Thread: Scotland in August

Default Scotland in August

Wondering if it is possible to plan a trip somewhere in Scotland during August and avoid midges? Or is it entirely dependent on the weather?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, depends on conditions. Best midge free conditions are the ones where the waves appear on the lochs!

Thing is, out on the bigger lochs, you should be midge free during the paddle, whatever the conditions. Its the mornings and evenings you'll have the most fun with!

Coastal areas can offer more chance of breezes. Avoid sheltered woodland camps.

If you could plan your paddles to only be on the top of the hills, life would be easier midge wise!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Midgies tend to be worse further west, so river trips such as Spey, Tay or Tweed could​ be less midgy. Otherwise I agree with Mal.

I don't like August it's the wettest, midgiest month of the summer here in the west.

Perthshire has about half the average days of rain so the Tay seems like a good choice.

I seem to have a shocking memory for midges, the last few summers I have been to 3 races on the Tweed (May, June, August), and 2 on Tay in August each year, and I honestly can't remember whether midges were an issue or not!
    I take my head net and repellent anyway so it is entirely possible that that they are terrible and I am just so used to slathering up and putting the net on that I don't remember anymore! It is also possible that I spend most of the evenings having a meal away from the campsite so avoid the busiest time for them.

Don't worry about paddling into a race, we don't have exclusive use of the river but if you can pull in when you encounter boats warming up ready to start and find out what arrangements they have to let you pass through that would great. On the Tay there is frequent rafting traffic and there is an established procedure - pull in on the left above the red flag on the gabion and wait until the starter swaps it for a white flag - they might hold you 5 minutes or so to complete a phase of the competition and make sure all the racers are clear out of your way. On the Tweed there is no such procedure but you will probably stop by the pre-starter who usually has a headset to ask race control to make a gap for you (or will send a runner if no headset).
    The Tay will have better base levels in August than the Tweed, although I have seen the Tweed rise overnight in August following heavy rain almost enough to cancel a race!

How hard can it be?

We paddled the Great Glen in early September.
    We had no midges issues, but lots of ticks, and loads of wind which was a big issue
    John
    Canoeist,Bushcrafter,cyclist, Jack of all trades and master of some.

Go east and south.

Look for wind over 4mph or temps less than 10c and you are fine.
    Chris