Thread: Late Notice: Blackwater River Ditchin' Recce..for Future Adventures!

Default Late Notice: Blackwater River Ditchin' Recce..for Future Adventures!

Inspired once again by the Patterdale Paddler...
    I know of a little river locally, that can offer a rather good day out, to an adventurous paddler or two, or three or more that are willing to give it a go!

With some of the open stretches being a pleasure to behold! - But it's not all like this, you will need assorted gardening tools onboard to get through!

The plan being, if at all you're interestested that is....and my sincere apologies if you are, and about the last minute timings of this post, sorry!

Meet at Frimley Business Park at 1030hrs on Sunday 17th March 2019....and expect to be done and ready for home that day by 1900hrs .....

That's after some 'car park cooked' Chicken Wings & a cold Guinness! - As it will be St. Patricks day that day - to be sure!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 16th-March-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

p.s.
    I haven't been down this route for 5 years since, and have no knowledge of anyone ever since paddling down it....ever! (How cool is that!)

So, if you're planning on coming along, make sure your tools are sharp!

I'll be leaving Frimley Business Park no later than 1100hrs on Sunday morning 17th March 2019 whatever, and if nobody turns up, no worries, and thereafter, if there's no blog from me by at least the 24th of March, Big worries!.... Please send out a search party, Ta!

MB
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 15th-March-2019 at 11:45 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Stay Tuned....
    "If you're paddling through hell... just keep on paddling!"
    Until you smell the roses!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 16th-March-2019 at 12:31 AM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

If you don’t get any takers and, assuming you survive, I’ll come down for a couple of days sometime soon armed with saws and a hammock.
    Still ‘on the case’ re Welland barn and Halloween.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

I'd love to give this a go but way too short notice this time.

When I was a nipper, we used navigate much of the Blackwater in summer............by motorbike !!!

I had a close look at the river today, and it's surprisingly low considering the amount of rain that we've had just recently. So, probably best now to re-schedule this when the rivers a little higher.
    Right now 'navigation by motorbike' sounds like a better idea entirely! - So, tomorrows Blackwater River Ditchin' Recce for Future Adventures is NOW CANCELLED.

Will now be looking at Sunday 14th April (my next free week-end) and will give a heads up the week before to say if it's go or not.

As without a little water...

Motorbikes will be the answer!

Saws and hammocks...ummm? A Dichin' Overnighter on the Blackwater, paddling from Frimley to Eversley, it's viable! But, I'll need to get my thinking cap on for that one.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Hey mate

Yeah, I was wondering if there would be enough water. Spent the afternoon botching a repair to the yoke, and epoxying a hole.

I'll probably be out on the water at some point tomorrow, but won't decide where until I see how windy it is, as will be in the Ally Folder (needs a run out to check all good, and the repairs to the Bell are a good excuse). Wey or Basingstoke Canal.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Aye lad!

Said in ma' best Govan accent like ya' know, reet!

'Would have, should have, could have'...Unfortunately, not too long after cancelling this trip, I then got sentenced to an untimely.... 'Death by Garden Centre!'

I should have just gone, and called up Sirus for a lend of one of his twin KTMS!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post

Will now be looking at Sunday 14th April (my next free week-end) and will give a heads up the week before to say if it's go or not.

Bugger!!! I will be up to my neck in work that weekend. Might be able to shuffle things about if conditions were perfect though.

paddling from Frimley to Eversley, it's viable! But, I'll need to get my thinking cap on for that one.

Is Frimley about as far upstream as you could start. I haven't had a close look for years but from what can be seen from the road, Farnborough Gate or even North Camp looks doable. I think a walk of the BVR path is in order.

Col,
    With a little more rain, that we usually get this get time of year, then a start at Farnborough Gate or even North Camp would have been a viable proposition,,,,

Right now though, that water's looking 'a little bit skinny' since the last time that I looked closely, and the view from the cab, as I have passed by in the last few days, suggest /indicate that in the coming days the only way through may now very much involve digging tools, hand grenades and flamethrowers! ....and as much fun as that would be!

I'm thinking now of an alternative 'Plan B'....( Not too sure now that was a contradiction in terms, but I'm sure someone here could possibly help me out on this one! )

With a Possible 'Plan B' Now Being: A Mexican Night on the Basingstoke Canal weekend 13th-14th April 2019 .....We've done it before!

Yarriba, yarriba maybe ?

Just another day on the Basingstoke Canal amigos!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

that water's looking 'a little bit skinny' since the last time that I looked closely, and the view from the cab, as I have passed by in the last few days, suggest /indicate that in the coming days the only way through may now very much involve digging tools, hand grenades and flamethrowers! ....and as much fun as that would be!
    And, the way everything's growing now, it'll be an even more impenetrable jungle in a couple of week's time

The greenery is rampaging this year, and the way the ground has dried out and rivers have dropped doesn't bode well for a coming trip...

Col,

With a Possible 'Plan B' Now Being: A Mexican Night on the Basingstoke Canal weekend 13th-14th April 2019 .....We've done it before!

Yarriba, yarriba maybe ?

Just another day on the Basingstoke Canal amigos!

I still have that hat! http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...omida-Mexicana

(Can't do that weekend though)
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle