Thread: Pop up tops and roof racks

Default Pop up tops and roof racks

Mrs P and myself are considering purchasing a van with a pop up top.

a) We've spoken to a manufacturer and were told that some pop up tops will be strong enough, but other pop up tops won't.

But we never asked, how do you know which is which. So how do you? And if you've got a pop up top which may not be strong enough anyone with any practical experience of strengthening the support etc/. ?

b) Is it possible to fit roof bars fore and aft on the roof proper so they avoid the pop up bit entirely?

Any other thoughts relevant to carrying a canoe on such a vehicle?
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Have a look at Steve Whetman site and the Zoelzer system there are rails to fix to the roof, so long as the pop top will cope, manufacturer of the roof is your best bet for definitive info...…… www.whetmanequipment.com

when I had a mazda bongo, I bought rails which bolted on the pop top. I then u-bolted 2x1 steel tube across them. I never asked about weight limits but they twice yearly carried 2 x 16' boats to Scotland and while there often carried three - which meant that I also had to be up there while loading / unloading. never had any dents ripples or cracks. I think that never even thinking about lifting the lid with a boat on is a good idea!
    Sam

I've had a couple of camper vans with lifting roofs. Carried canoes on both of them with no problems. Initially I carried a canoe directly on the roof and strapped it down both directly to lashing eyes on the roof and fore and aft to towing eyes. Then carefully fitted "dummy gutters" [ https://www.thule.com/en-ca/ca/roof-...gutters-_-1036 ] so I could use the older style roofbars for cars with roof gutters [ https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-...--low-_-951000 ]. I carried canoes many thousands of miles in the UK and abroad, even used the lifting roof occasionally (needed a prop inside to keep it up as the gas struts were not strong enough for the added weight of the canoe). Both roofs were by Leisuredrive of Bolton and quite strongly made. I talked to some campervan converters at a show once and Bilbo said their roofs were specifically made strong enough for a roof rack.
    Here's a few pics...

Last edited by windorpaddle; 15th-March-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add Bilbo details

https://www.skylineroofs.co.uk
    I have a Skyline pop top fitted to my T5. It's fitted with genuine Vw roof rails and VW cross bars the roof is rated to 70kg. My Pal sits on the roof very well with front bonnet straps and a rope from the tow bar to add a bit extra security.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Ditto. I have a Skyline pop up roof with roof rails and bars. I think the weight limit was similar, around 70kg.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log