Thread: Truncated Triggs loop

Default Truncated Triggs loop

AS stage one of the outfitting of the Hahn C1 is complete, I am considering launching from the footpath between the Gates and the Pub at Send, paddling up to Triggs lock, playing about in the stream there, and if all is well with the outfitting, proceeding fairly rapidly round the loop and back, including a bit of a play below the portage weir. May or may not stop for a sandwich.

Depends how desperate you are for a paddle as to whether this is an attractive proposition or not.

I'll post about 10 if I'm going for an 11.30 ish start.

Any particular day, or is this a daily exercise now?
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

yes, tomorrow. Friday. Thanks again for another proof reading service

Chuckle. Assumed so, but thought it worth clarifying for anyone who might be available. I'm not, well not till late afternoon anyway.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Id love to come along if it wasn't for the horror that is work

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Peter. I have to decline as I really ought to do some work tomorrow and looking at the forecast, I'm also being a wind wimp (keeping my beady on Sunday at the moment).

Morning all. Weather not behaving as expected. (Whole trees in motion, Force 7, Near Gale)

Waiting to see what happens this afternoon

Saturday the Hurley Festival

Sunday Dove Tour.

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Morning all. Weather not behaving as expected. (Whole trees in motion, Force 7, Near Gale)

Saturday the Hurley Festival

Sunday Dove Tour.
    A wise decision. I just opened my front door and it blew in and thumped me!

Having been away last weekend, I cannot go anywhere this.

I have a principled aversion to the Dove Tour since, being only the one day in the year it seems to acknowledge the argument against lawful access

Very windy at the moment - will keep a lookout on this thread and bow to your canoeing wisdom whether it is suitable for a paddle wee paddle.

I agree with Adrian....but life is too short.

One of my favourite amended Beaufort Scale (Admiral Beaufort's original was from the view of a ship of the line) http://www.weather.org.uk/resource/beaufort.htm

Still very windy here. Not impossible to paddle, but no use for "C1 sea trials"

I'm on nights at the moment, but I just saw that the Dove Tour has been cancelled
    John
    Canoeist,Bushcrafter,cyclist, Jack of all trades and master of none.

Yes thanks. Pity, one of the attractions was Adrian's objection on moral grounds He has been with me on every one of my capsizes over the last few years, and if he wasn't there I should be ok.

Completed the "truncated Triggs" today. I'm not sure if truncated is correct for cutting off the bottom of a cone, but anyway I started from the footpath between the pub and the Gates at Send. Boat behaved well, although need different footwear for getting in and out. Stopped three times, Triggs, Portage (a semi seal launch over the deer prints in the mud), and again at the Portage Platform, (to which I have no objections now I have a boat I can lift with one hand) It / she leaks a bit, tracks well, but my normal "avoidance of strainer technique" need modifying for short boat with over hangs, and I am still not confident on cross bow strokes. New footwear may allow me to sit even lower. I am about 2" of padding above the built in seat, but I think I'm going to fit a foam saddle with a stowage bottle as there is nowhere for any bits and pieces, not even the minimalistic kit I have when on my own.

I'm not sure if truncated is correct for cutting off the bottom of a cone
    It probably is. A cone with the top cut off is Frustrated, and I wouldn't like that to apply to a paddle (although it sounds as if that's just what the wind was doing!).

Re cross bow strokes, you may need a shorter paddle, particularly if you succeed in sitting lower. It's the slice out at the end of the stroke that's the trickiest bit.

Completed the "truncated Triggs" today. I'm not sure if truncated is correct for cutting off the bottom of a cone, but anyway I started from the footpath between the pub and the Gates at Send. Boat behaved well, although need different footwear for getting in and out. Stopped three times, Triggs, Portage (a semi seal launch over the deer prints in the mud), and again at the Portage Platform, (to which I have no objections now I have a boat I can lift with one hand) It / she leaks a bit, tracks well, but my normal "avoidance of strainer technique" need modifying for short boat with over hangs, and I am still not confident on cross bow strokes. New footwear may allow me to sit even lower. I am about 2" of padding above the built in seat, but I think I'm going to fit a foam saddle with a stowage bottle as there is nowhere for any bits and pieces, not even the minimalistic kit I have when on my own.
    I did this with Mal and Paul Knight on Sunday - but a more truncated version (parked the car a few minutes walk from triggs lock) The natural river back from the weir was a fab with plenty of ferry gliding practice and eddy turns. Picked up a few tips from Paul too. I may go down there again at the weekend if time allows it. Any pictures of the new boat, interested to know what you have got?

Thanks Chris. The thought crossed my mind regarding a shorter paddle.

Maj. Yes I have photos but just can't face loading them here. Might do it on Facebook. Paul knows far more about this canoe lark than I do, so take notice. How do you get near to Triggs Lock. I found a locked gate a long way away.

Suddenly struck me that I have a short paddle from a former C1ist. Got a left hand top grip but I can soon deal with that. Might meant that the plan for a spare for the stern deck might go ahead.

And another question for you Chris. I find that ankle pads help to prolong the time before agony, but I can only just get in and out so fixed pads are not a choice, and toe pegs actually increase the degree of knee bend for a given seat height.

Yes thanks. Pity, one of the attractions was Adrian's objection on moral grounds He has been with me on every one of my capsizes over the last few years, and if he wasn't there I should be ok.
    That makes it sound as if it was my fault!

Truncated cone is a frustum. I think you are using the right term

Peter, regarding C1 foot comfort, I found toe pegs to be unhelpful. Some boats seem to suit keeping my foot in line with my leg, so that the top of the foot is against the hull, while in others I tend to twist my ankle to point my toes inwards, so the side of my foot is on the hull. I pad my foot rather than the boat - a thin soled wetsuit boot with a rounded heel, and a thick sock. When I first paddled C1 my right ankle was recovering from a break and much less flexible so I put a loose neoprene pad under it - loose so that it didn't stop me getting out.

Paul knows far more about this canoe lark than I do, so take notice. How do you get near to Triggs Lock. I found a locked gate a long way away.
    You are very good too and if listened to everything you say, i would be a much better paddler. Paul showed my how to slow down without pointing the the canoe upstream like i do most of the time. - sort of ferry gliding in reverse. I need to practice a bit more though. He was very good.

I parked at the gate and used the trolley to walk my canoe to the put in. Did not seem a long way to me but i was enjoying the sunshine and the birdsong.

looking forward to seeing the new boat the next time i see you

For Avoidance of Doubt. Adrian Cooper's attendance on my capsizes went no further than concern, and amusement (probably in equal measure) and assistance in recovery (not needed in every case.) He played no part in the actual occurrence.

He was, however, there. as he has been on many trips where I stayed upright.

I recall your spill on the Drome, completely inexplicable! I even gave you a line :-)

[QUOTE
    I even gave you a line :-)
    ][/QUOTE]

Of ??
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman