Thread: Skye - where to kayak?

Default Skye - where to kayak?

We're off to the west coast of Scotland and hope to spend a significant amount of time on Skye with our two man sit on kayak. Can anyone recommend any particularly good places to go?
    Thanks.

There isn't much in the way of inland water of any size except Storr Lochs which at best only offer a couple of hours of leisurely paddling. That leaves the sea lochs most of which dry out in their heads at low tide. So basically it comes down to wind direction and tide times which one to choose.
    Best bet is to look at a map and assess the wind and tides for the day.
    Last edited by Quercus; 10th-March-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I assumed from looking at the map that it would be sea kayaking which I'm perfectly OK with, I was just wondering if there are lovely features, inaccessible coves, fabulous rock formations that are worth visiting. Or even places for seal/whale watching?

Loch Dunvegan is good for seals.

Lots of interesting coast but much of it quite exposed to weather and tidal streams, and a fair way from launch points. How far are you thinking of paddling and how much sea experience do you have? Loch Bracadale and NW from there might be a good place if the wind is suitable. The East coast of Raasay is spectacular and might be more sheltered. The tide runs through Kyle Rhea at up to 8kt but if you are happy with that and/or get your timing right you may well see otters.