Thread: Trek Midge and Tick repellent a heads up

Default Trek Midge and Tick repellent a heads up

As I mentioned in the SafeHydrate review, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Bottle-review Pyramid had a couple of products that caught my eye. The other product was the Midge and Tick repellent https://www.pyramidtravelshop.co.uk/...tick-114-p.asp

Name:  trek midge tick repellant review.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  191.5 KB

This is not so much a review as a heads up. I had wondered if Midge repellent would also repel or deter ticks but to date had never seen any advertised as such. The Trek products purport to be tested and passed as tick repellents. This isn’t a review as such as I have no way of really testing this at the moment and am not super keen on deliberately trying to get ticks on me to see if this puts them off. I will be using this over the summer though as an extra line of defence.

I did ask Pyramid if this could be used on clothes and if it would still be effective. There answer is it has not been tested in those conditions and may stain the clothes but “should” still deter ticks. I for one would rather run the risk of damaging my camp clothes in return for reducing the risk of getting a tick bite.

I’ll report back on how I get on with this as and when I get to use it.
    John

A few thoughts... I did read somewhere recently that DEET works by messing up midgies CO2 receptors, which ticks probably don’t have. I’ve come across tick specific sprays in Europe that can be applied to clothing, with the usual caveats.

I was camping on some of the islands on Loch Maree during the recent warm spell and the ticks were out in force; hopefully the current cold spell will get the little blighters!

Mike

Cheers for the heads up John.

The active ingredient appears to be 20% Saltidin, which a few other repellents use, notably Smidge, which is my current favourite and the only non-DEET product I've tried that seems to work for me on midges.

From the Smidge website, they also have some "proof" of the effectiveness on various little biters, including midges and ticks: https://www.smidgeup.com/the-science/the-proof/

In the past, I've both worked with in a "previous life", and used Pyramid products and found them effective and basically good products.

I tend to spray my ankles around the top of my socks with Smidge in tick areas (i.e. flippin everywhere in Scotland at Easter!), or tuck the socks in when wearing long trousers. A little spray on the fabric can't do any harm I wouldn't have thought (unlike with DEET and some materials!).
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I have used a spray of Permethrin (synthetic Pyrethrin) on clothing as tick repellent (and insecticide) and didn't get any ticks.

I was at a Country Show last Summer and got talking to a man who was demonstrating Hedge laying. Somehow the conversation got round to Ticks and I commented on the old fashioned canvas gaiters he was wearing. He told me that when he was in the wood cutting Hazel stakes he would spray his gaiters with the same stuff that he sprayed on his Jack Russell.
    Frontline I think it's called, when I asked why he just grinned, and said " It works and it's cheaper than the little bottles they sell for humans"
    I confess I've never tried it, but he seemed happy using it, at least on his boots and gaiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    I have used a spray of Permethrin (synthetic Pyrethrin) on clothing as tick repellent (and insecticide) and didn't get any ticks.
    ++1

permethrin works for clothes
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

We now have a SotP discount on Pyramid products. See this thread, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/56393-SotP-discount-on-Pyramid-products
    John

I have a Swedish friend who tells me that the majority of Swedes get a vaccination against Lymes. She has also told me that it is available in the UK but you have to ask your doctor (and pay for it).

Everyone has their own opinion on vaccinations but I thought I would mention it so that people at least know that it is something they can ask their doctor about - I didn't know and it isn't something I have looked into.

I'm intrigued by the use of Permethrin impregnatedclothing (e.g. Nosilife). How does the Permethrin stay impregnated and is stillbe an active insecticide, with some clothing suppliers offering aguarantee for the lifetime of the garment?
    BTW
    Permethrin and the active ingredient in Frontline (Fipronil) are bothinsecticides rather than repellents. They are both broad spectrum so there aresome concerns about the impact on non-target species, bees for example. Theyare both highly toxic to aquatic organisms and toxic to some mammals(Permethrin and cats for example) so don't splash it aroundindiscriminately.
    BTW: By way of a psychological experiment, if I mention that Permethrin is usedto treat head lice, does your scalp start itching?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRden View Post
    I'm intrigued by the use of Permethrin impregnatedclothing (e.g. Nosilife). How does the Permethrin stay impregnated and is stillbe an active insecticide, with some clothing suppliers offering aguarantee for the lifetime of the garment?
    BTW
    Permethrin and the active ingredient in Frontline (Fipronil) are bothinsecticides rather than repellents. They are both broad spectrum so there aresome concerns about the impact on non-target species, bees for example. Theyare both highly toxic to aquatic organisms and toxic to some mammals(Permethrin and cats for example) so don't splash it aroundindiscriminately.
    BTW: By way of a psychological experiment, if I mention that Permethrin is usedto treat head lice, does your scalp start itching?

No (I am bald) but my face did (and I have a beard) - hope that helps!

Lime, you got any more info on this? I wasn't aware of a vaccine for this and after an admittedly brief search, couldn't find much on a vaccine other than a brief mention about it's rise and fall..?

Cheers
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I have a Swedish friend who tells me that the majority of Swedes get a vaccination against Lymes. She has also told me that it is available in the UK but you have to ask your doctor (and pay for it).

Everyone has their own opinion on vaccinations but I thought I would mention it so that people at least know that it is something they can ask their doctor about - I didn't know and it isn't something I have looked into.
    Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Lime, you got any more info on this? I wasn't aware of a vaccine for this and after an admittedly brief search, couldn't find much on a vaccine other than a brief mention about it's rise and fall..?

Cheers
    Alan
    Same here, just some sites about how something could have been available but was withdrawn or something. All fairly old. It would be good to know more.

Done a little more digging and there was a vaccine which was 70 to 90% effective after 3 doses over a year but it was withdrawn some time ago. Worked by having antibodies in the blood which attacked the tick as soon as it started munching. Interesting stuff....
    Cheers,

Alan

Cheers Alan

There is technical summary of Lyme disease vaccination on the US Institute of Infectious Diseases website including some history.
    https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-c...sease-vaccines
    This also mentions a company, Valneva, developing a vaccine. They have initiated Phase II clinical trials
    https://www.valneva.com/en/rd/vla15
    While it can take a few years from Phase II to market launch, the fact that they have Fast Track status with the FDA will help keep things moving forward.

Cheers
    Alan
    I will ask my friend. I got the impression it was a usual thing there and generally available as she was talking about paying for it for her children (she lives in the UK but goes back to Sweden regularly to see family)

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Some natural confusion here perhaps explains the apparent contradiction;

One site says:

Tick borne encephalitis does have a vaccine::

one site says:

There is no preventive vaccine or medication against Lyme Disease.
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Default TBE and jabs

Cheers
    Alan
    Morning Paddlers
    Living here in SwedenLand, tick borne
    encephalitis (TBE) is a concern. We can book an appointment at a mobile unit that visits the local supermarket once a week. We also have to pay, last year was 350SEK a shot, about £30. (Three shots needed... more for old gits like me).
    I'm waiting for the booking system to open for this season.

I asked the same question of my UK doctor/nurse. It's a non-standard jab, so they have to order it in at about £100 for all three.
    But it can be done, you just have to ask.

On a side issue, if you research TBE, it will make you get the jabs...
    Will keep you updated how it goes out here.

Cheers
    Paul
    Looking for the end of the rainbow