Thread: New member in Peterborough uk

Default New member in Peterborough uk

Hi all ! Thought I'd introduce myself.
    Mike ....retired teacher.....youthful 68yr old!
    I am into building guitars, trials motorcycles, lots of other crafts and gardening.
    I'm waiting for my first stitch and glue Canadian canoe kit to arrive! Can't wait!.
    I am looking forward to exploring the many rivers and waterways in the area.
    I welcome any advice or help....and offer the same.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. What kit did you get, it wasn't a Peterborough was it, coincidence?

No 'name', just copied this from the ebay ad........
    Open "Canadian" Style Canoe.

Loa 12’ – 5” (3.8m)

Beam 3’ – 1/4” (0.92m)

Weight (approx.) 70.55lbs (32kgs)

Max. Load (approx.) 352lbs (180kgs)

Crew 2/3

This kit contains everything needed to build your very own, open “Canadian” style canoe, with built in buoyancy that are fitted with small waterproof hatches for storage of valuables etc. while on the water.

The kit consists of 6mm marine plywood panels, precision cut from our CNC routing machine, to give you a lightweight canoe.

The Canoe is then built using the "Stitch & Tape" method of construction. The pieces of ply are pre-drilled with small holes in each hull part and assembled by "stitching" it all together with plastic cable ties.

Once all the stitches are tight, the hull is aligned and checked before wood glue is applied to the inside seams. Then the hull is turned over and the outer seams are sanded, taped and saturated with epoxy.

The bulkheads are then glued into place and the trim is fitted along the top strip of the deck. The inside is then prepared and coated in epoxy and the waterproof hatches are fitted into their holes.

The outside of the hull is then prepared and painted (if you want). Your Canoe is now ready for water !!!

The build should take around 5 days to complete (though it can be completed much quicker if wanted).

A PDF detailed manual is also provided, to guide you step by step through the process.

Price 299.

Collection from Meriden, near Coventry, if wanted.

Happy Sailing...

Part List:

20 x Marine Plywood 6mm Panels

8 x Pine Gunwhale Strip

1 x Gorilla Wood Glue 532ml

200 x Wurth Wood Screws

250 x Cable Ties

1 x 1Lt Epoxy Resin

1 x 300ml Epoxy Hardener

1 x 25m Fibreglass Tape

2 x Hatch Covers

2 x Stainless Steel Deck Eye Plates

1 x Sanding Block

1 x Roller tray and Rollers

3 x Pairs of Latex Gloves

Hi Mike

Welcome to Song of the Paddle. I got your site contact introduction and was going to reply with a link to this part of the forum but we you’ve already found it.

looking forward to seeing how your build goes. Should be slightly less demanding than a guitar I would imagine.
    John

be careful.. . . . . building canoes can be highly addictive. I know through experience.
    sam

My addictions are guitars and motorbikes.... so why not have another,!?

Hello and Welcome!

Well, if you manage to achieve half as much as some of the canoe builders on this forum, you're going to have a lovely canoe, and the satisfaction of having made her.

As for the guitars, well, they seem to go together with paddling trips, in my mind at least. If you can play as well as build them, you'll have to make an appearance on one of the meet weekends sometime, quite often on the Nene. Standards of playing needed to join in: well, knowing which way up it goes is probably about it, its all about fun. Though it has been pointed out to me that my guitar would make good kindling...

Also, keep an eye out for strange paddlers attempting to take canoes down Northamptonshire and the surrounding areas' smallest ditches (look for Patterdale Paddler blogs). They're actually pretty harmless.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I play strictly for my own amusement... ask my wife,!,