Thread: Selway-Fisher Little Kate

Default Selway-Fisher Little Kate

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has built the wide beam version of this canoe and what your top three tips would be to someone who has just bought the plans and plywood???

Thanks,
    Adam

I can't comment specifically on the Little Kate but I'm towards the end of building a Selway Fisher Prospector (most of it built in the autumn, now waiting for it to be warm enough to work in the garage again). I'd never done anything remotely like this before - I didn't even do woodwork at school, so it's not going to be a woodworking masterpiece, but I've enjoyed it tremendously. Others with more experience or skill might have a different set of three top tips but I think mine would be:
    1. Be as accurate as possible with your initial cutting out of the panels and getting them to the identical same size.
    2. In my experience the most difficult part was the ends; getting them marrying up so as to get the panels to exactly match. Also I didn't take up the suggestion to laminate reinforcing either inside or outside the ends. Now I wish I had.
    3. Use something like a plastic credit card or the plastic spreaders sold for the to fill the gaps with thickened epoxy and get rid of the excess immediately. I made a bit of a mess of the panels with epoxy everywhere and thereby used much more than necessary, especially as I then taped over the seams both inside and outside.
    Good luck!
    Graham

And I've just thought what my fourth tip would be:
    4. Think carefully in advance about how you will construct the gunwales. I followed the suggestion in the instructions and used pine from B&Q rather than ash from a proper timber merchant for things like gunwales and thwarts. Because lengths of strip wood from B&Q come in 8' lengths you have to scarf two pieces together. But then the whole piece is less than the length required for a 15' 9" Prospector - you probably wouldn't have the same problem for a Little Kate - so I had to then scarf a final short piece on to get it long enough. Messy. Also I found it impossible to get the gunwales to fully follow the profile of the top panel at the extreme ends. In retrospect I should either have used wood with a smaller cross section or steam bent it which I shied away from. If I ever build another it will be ash and steam bent.