Thread: Paddling Effluence near Market Harborough....and Sausages

Default Paddling Effluence near Market Harborough....and Sausages

On a day that the BBC promised would be sunny, Hippo and I launched under a leaden sky into a fine natural harbour on the Welland just downstream from Market Harborough

.......formed by

But you can leave a vehicle here, scramble down only a mildly steep bank and, to be fair, far worse things than treated sewage end up in our rivers

Despite recent rain and a decent flow this really isn't the place to come in your lovingly crafted wooden boat or if you get upset at losing gelcoat - or whatever the modern equivalent of gelcoat is.

Most of the rocky falls being man made to keep levels up for nearby cattle drinks

Pylons.....you'll be alright if your thing is pylons.....I know we all need electricity and a valley floor is an obvious place to put them but......

As well as trying to see the beauty in every pylon we enjoyed the usual obstacles, especially those that combined rocks, reeds and trees

Nice if not spectacular bridges at Welham

....and one in the middle of nowhere

Being creatures of habit we lunched at our usual bend.....the view from the water filter

It's a lovely quiet place to have lunch and, importantly, it's half way on the trip; well, actually it's over half way but psychologically I like to do the biggest half first and lunch leisurely, knowing I have the smallest half to go

With one paragraph I have no doubt sent dozens of pedants, or at least those adherents to the fractional version of pedantry, off into some kind of paroxysm............well you can have another ten points if you also noticed there's no such word as effluence........anyways, the end result is a toasted ciabatta each with no less than 3 locally made sausages just waiting for some hot gooseberry relish to fulfill their destiny as lunch.

There followed a relaxed short half with not too much of this malarkey

and with a bit more of an open aspect

Gratefully finishing at Ashley bridge just before the heavens opened.....at least the BBC were right about that.

Well that's about all folks, we saw kingfishers, herons, an egret and for some strange reason lots of woodcock leaping out of riverside foliage at us.......and we had a jolly good day out on a river that rarely, if ever, gets paddled on this stretch.....probably the pylons or maybe the water just tastes that little bit odd?!

Regards to you all, Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

You must get really bored on the Nene with all its water and width and depth and everything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

You’ll be fine with your half way measuring. You cleverly kept the units vague so it could be half way time wise, distance wise or half way from some other unmentioned point in space or time

Seeing your filter set up reminds me I need to go write a very quick review of the water filter bottle I’ve started using.
    John

Woodcock? Definitely? or maybe snipe?

Cool

A very nice canoe. The sights not so quite. But you can't have it all!
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 10th-March-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: take out massive quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Jester View Post
    Woodcock? Definitely? or maybe snipe?
    We both called them as woodcock on the water but I’ve just texted Hippo during half time in the rugby....after looking at photos we now believe they were snipe....thanks for pointing that out Castle Jester.....neither of us are bird experts so we’ve learned something...cheers, Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Once again, I'm very much inspired!

Dick,
    I can't make it to your neck of the woods, due to a million excuses...with at least a few of them being somewhat plausible at the moment!

Keep On Ditching, Brother!

I will now have to try something local to satisfy the urge!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 15th-March-2019 at 11:42 PM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

One last shot....

I too have chance to paddle in affluent areas...

Once again, it looks like my spellink has let me down!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>