Thread: picture posting problems

Default picture posting problems

Last night I was able to upload photos from my computer for my build blog. This evening I can't. I've re sized the pictures down to about 100 - 150 kb but after loading the second it says I have reached my limit.

Am I doing something wrong?

I could upload all my photos to Flickr but that is telling me my limit has been reached and I need to upgrade to pro.
    Can I put photos on SoTP from google photos do you know? Are there instructions somewhere?
    Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam

You can share photos from Google Photos, but it can be a little confusing (I often make mistakes doing it). To share the photos you:

1. Select the photos you want to use
    2. Add them to a new or existing shared album (which you share publicly)
    3. You wait for it to copy the photos to the shared album (it makes a copy of the photo)
    4. You open the shared folder (there's usually a link to view the photos in the bottom left when the copy finishes)
    5. View each picture and right-click on the picture you're viewing and choose "Copy image address" (that's in Google Chrome; might be called something similar in other browsers)
    6. Switch back to SOTP and click the image icon above the text editing area and paste the link you just copied. They're REALLY long links.

Simple eh?

Many thanks for this. I'll give it a try later. I may be back with questions!

Sam

It works! Thanks Bernie. The build blog will continue later

Sam

Just one thing to add: Make sure you un-check the little box asking if you want to 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally' otherwise it doesn't work.

Sam

We are still a bit away from the uploading being fully functional but in the meantime I’ve increased the limit for Contributing Members to make it ten times bigger so you should be able to attach pictures for a while. I still really need to look into how much I can allow but still have plenty of server space and bandwidth.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    We are still a bit away from the uploading being fully functional but in the meantime I’ve increased the limit for Contributing Members to make it ten times bigger so you should be able to attach pictures for a while. I still really need to look into how much I can allow but still have plenty of server space and bandwidth.
    Don't worry John, I still intend to use Flickr, so you don't have to allow for my 20000 images....
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Don't worry John, I still intend to use Flickr, so you don't have to allow for my 20000 images....
    I suspect that with the compression settings we will have that using your own hosting service may give slightly better quality results anyway. Hopefully that will help make Flickr for hosting more palatable
    John

I have found that following bhofmanns advice with google photos works well. I write in Word, with the image address in the text, copy and paste it all onto SoTP then cut the image addresses and copy them in the insert image box, remembering to uncheck the box. The only thing I haven't got my head round is the apparent random size of the pictures it displays.
    To be honest, this is probably easier than having to resize all my pictures before I upload them.

Sam

Once we have the server set up properly it will resize the images as they are uploaded.
    John