Thread: mini tipi

Default mini tipi

having seen a few tipis and love the idea of them i got to thinking about my youth and realised that the old blacks good companion tent could be a good mini tipi single A frame outisde or single upright. no fitted ground sheet . option of a fly sheet.
    with a little alteration for ventilation at the top this could make an excellent mini tipi as it would be high enough inside to cook happily on a stove or possible a small fire box. its cotton so sparks will not melt holes and being cotton it would warm up well. much better than a modern lightweight nylon tent

so does any one have one of these lying around? or know where i could get hold of one to have a play with.

i quite like the idea of warm winter camping without a large expensive Tipi

are there any other bit of kit from decades ago that are better for open boaters than ther modern counterpart?
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    are there any other bit of kit from decades ago that are better for open boaters than ther modern counterpart?
    Oh dear - a can of worms....

There's part of me thinks that vintage is potentially fun - and onother part that remembers the reality..

Anyone else have fond memories of "tinker tramps" , Force 10 mk III in cotton - what about a primus 96, or an optimus 8R?

The PTC igloo - the pole-less wonder where a foot-pump was a vital piece of kit.

I have - and still use occasionally - an Primus 96 and a Svea 123. My tent is only 20-odd years old though (I thought I needed to replace it until we spent a night out under very heavy rain in late June and it performed just fine!).

The only other old, decrepit, past its throw-away-by date is me!

Soggy

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post

There's part of me thinks that vintage is potentially fun - and onother part that remembers the reality..

Anyone else have fond memories of "tinker tramps" , Force 10 mk III in cotton - what about a primus 96, or an optimus 8R?

The PTC igloo - the pole-less wonder where a foot-pump was a vital piece of kit.
    A Vango force 10 - ah the memories - as the advert says - it does what it says on the tin.

a primus 96 - the only time I ever came close to killing my self on the hills was the inferno created by one of these. Didn't know it was possible to get out of a one man tent so quick.
    Aslan

blacks good companion tent
    I wish!!

saw one on ebay some time ago, It went for well over a 100. I ended up getting a golite hex3, which was a great buy but still a lot of folding stuff.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

vango force 10
    wonderful memories including having a primus flare up in the entrance bell
    needless to say it took it in its stride, unlike a modern nylon tent that would have gone up in instant flames
    there is something to be said for cotton , which brings me back to the good companion or similar for winter camping/cooking in the warm and safe!
    nature is m X-box

I still use a #96 stove and have just bought a new svea 123!

Much as I treasure the memories of my force 10, the thought of carrying all 12 or 14 pounds of it does not count as one! modern technical tents are a huge improvement.

I cannot think of anything else I would regularly use from those days.

graham

Last year I bought a brand new all cotton Vango Force 10 - for the smell !
    PWC

Default Tinker tramp

Very fond memories of canoing on the wye and using a Tinker Tramp,they were just great with the A-frame poles,anybody still got one ???Slo Paddler.

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

I use a R8 and we've got a cotton Force 10 in the shed (1970's orginal).

The is also a Certent (?) Super Playmate cotton "pup" tent - anyone know anything about these?

Tried out the Svea, the other day. Still works very well.

For Nostalgia we still have the 1920s touring tent by Duluth tent and awning - the Duluth pack people.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Heathen!

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post

I use an Optimus 8r frequently - great little stove (as is it's 'big brother' the 'burn any flammable liquid' Optimus 111 multifuel)

Matt

Smile blacks good companion

how lucky am i. i've just come back from a week in somerset camping with my 'good companion'. we stayed dry despite some heavy rain, the front needs reproofing though, got a bit sodden. may try to adapt the fly, add a porch or something any ideas? see profile for good companion pic.

Default Old Gear

I've three Optimus 96s, two are still in their original tins and little used. A third I still use on mountaineering expeditions. I also have a Svea 5, (purchased for £10 from an antique shop) which I always take canoeing. It burns longer and is more reliable than many other modern stoves I've used. There's loads of arabic writing on it which makes me wonder about where else these stoves operate still.
    But my old Vango 10 died many years ago.
    Last edited by David Perry; 8th-August-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Default Good Companions Major at Welsh Canoe Symposium

Warm, plenty enough room, standing room, A poles, easy to cook inside. A good tent especially as I got it free.

I still have a Blacks Mountain tent - purchased 1973!!!!

I just looked up the little Svea stove I have. No idea what the model number is. On the internet site I was looking at, they want $95.95, US dollars for it! I believe I paid $15 for mine about 1971.

http://www.packstoves.com/optimus%20...ea%20stove.htm
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

thysville im beginning to dislike you
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    I just looked up the little Svea stove I have. No idea what the model number is. On the internet site I was looking at, they want $95.95, US dollars for it! I believe I paid $15 for mine about 1971.

http://www.packstoves.com/optimus%20...ea%20stove.htm
    Over here that model is known as the Svea 123. They're great little stoves and I use mine regularly. They are quite rare in shops though.

Soggy

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    Over here that model is known as the Svea 123. They're great little stoves and I use mine regularly. They are quite rare in shops though.

Soggy
    Checking the add, once again, shows it is, indeed, a Model 123(R). Had the thing for 36 years and never knew what it was.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water