Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Barrow II" - The Return Of Biggish Meet (Aug 17th-18th) 2019

Great weekend, can't believe the amount of work cankay and Juliet put in to make it a success. congratulations! I think everyone enjoyed themselves immensely! Nice to see some old and new faces. Cheers all
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thx Mark, sorry not replied sooner...been a tad busy. Soggy Fri evening, but like to think weekend went ok 😀

Great to see friends, old and new, thanks to Jon and Juliet for all their planning and hard work, also good to see a few new members that only joined this week. Nice fire too!!

I can only echo what others have said about the amount of work Jon and Juliet put into the weekend. There was clearly so much preparation and planning done to make it all run so smoothly. I hope they got to enjoy it as much as we did and the stress of organising did not detract from the superb weekend.

We had quite a journey to get to the meet-up but it was well worth it. We didn’t paddle that much and haven’t taken that many pictures but as always meeting the members was a joy. Our only regret is we didn’t get more time to talk with everyone. We’ll just need to see if we can make it to Jon’s next meetup.
    John

Thanks for a lovely weekend and for all the hard work that went into the planning. It was great to meet everyone and to put faces to names! It was well worth the journey and mosquito bites (well for John anyway). Looking forward to seeing the pictures. The dogs said they had the best time and were thoroughly spoiled. I think Sam would have happily spent Sunday hopping from canoe to canoe on the paddle if we had stayed.

We deffo appreciate all the nice words :-).

I'll add a more formal 'closing' summary here in a day or two, when I've stopped yawning so much .
    More than happy if someone wants to start a bit of a blog to in the meantime whilst I continue to faff.

I’ve not got many pictures so I’m going to piggy back on someone else’s blogg. I will be mentioning the horrific injuries I suffered at the hands of the English insects. I can’t believe the bad rep Scottish midgies get when the English mosquitos are so much worse. It’s racism and propaganda I tell you
    John

Many thanks to Cankay and Jewels for organising this. Was a great weekend.
    I think that MagiKelly must've brought the Scottish insects with him, I have a good selection of itchy bites.

And thank you to Jon and Juliet from me as well. What was the film title?
    "I canít believe the bad rep Scottish midgies get when the English mosquitos are so much worse". I thought the horseflies on Sunday morning were even worse.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

I recorded a GPS track of the trips.

SAT: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3960335601 (Forgot to start the recording until after the portage to the river).

SUN: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3963700988 (Dunno what happened at the pub with the GPS!)

Superb weekend, thanks to all the organisers.
    Lovely to see the usual suspects and meet new ones, the great thing about this forum is when you meet members in real life is how lovely and friendly they all are.

Ref the midges and other bitey things, pleased to say I managed to avoid them all weekend unlike Max .

Bring on the next meet.

I think I saw John (Kelly) open a big box, which I now believe to be full of Scottish mossy’s And release onto the campsite, I swear I have never been bitten in England before!

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    I think I saw John (Kelly) open a big box, which I now believe to be full of Scottish mossyís And release onto the campsite, I swear I have never been bitten in England before!
    I think you might be onto something David I think they were in his little Black bag on slow release.

Safely home although there was a circa hour delay on my doorstep, accident in the "narrow lanes - refurbishment section" of the A500 near Tunstall.
    Super weekend, thanks to Jon & Juliette for all their (considerable) effort, all attendees and especially to JK both for SotP and for making the weekend such a magical event.
    I think I'll now have a nice warm bath ... in Anthesan
    Last edited by Potty Paddler; 19th-August-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Thanks once more to all who had a hand in bringing about the weekend, and J&J in particular for their great imagination, detailed preparation and general relentless organisedness.
    I don't seem to be able to upload photos here but I have put a link below to some of mine, on OneDrive. Feel free to download or share.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjUsBKPZZkmk0BtG...RteAA?e=KEdQje

Thank you all for a great Biggish Meet. Jon and Juliet work so hard before, during and no doubt, after the event, well done. Your hosting is much appreciated.

Autumn thoroughly enjoyed the meet and making new friends too. Her nattering kept me awake all the way home, although I had to take a strong coffee on route. I did feed and water Autumn too.

When we arrived home, Autumn retold the whole story to Rita the Queen of Flapjacks, while we ate a traditional Chinese takeaway!

Rita appreciated the first prize for the flapjacks, they are always in demand. If I turn up on a Wobbly Water Group meeting without them, I'm sure that I would be sent home.

We enjoyed the weekend and we both send a big thank you to all.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Thank you Jon & Jewels for a fab weekend, we really enjoyed it.
    It was great to meet old friends and make new ones and an honour to meet MagiKelly, mine you from your pics Iíve seen, I always thought you were very short, must be the selfistick

Hereís a link to the Pictures I took

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XEnkuKF8NxXDbR1N6

Theyíre not in order, as Iíve just realised the itís so long since Iíve used my camera, itís reverted to the default date (31 December 2007)

Weíre defiantly now considering Burns Night, canít do Halloweíen as itís Karenís BD and sheíll be having a late night .

Look forward to seeing you all again

Simms (Simon) & Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simms ..

Quote Originally Posted by dougoutcanoe View Post
    Autumn thoroughly enjoyed the meet and making new friends too.

We enjoyed the weekend and we both send a big thank you to all.

Doug
    Autumn is a credit to you. Such a confident, friendly and sociable wee lass.
    Obviously hanging about with her Granddad and a load of strange old(er) people in a field and on the river is proper character building stuff :-)

Col

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    MagiKelly, mine you from your pics I’ve seen, I always thought you were very short, must be the selfistick
    I never thought people would think I was short. I was always just more aware that they would be surprised I had a Glaswegian accent. I’m still assuming only a fraction of what I said over the weekend was actually understood by anyone
    John

Here's a link to my collection. Apologies for the poor quality.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHJh5b2EE6p65hxU7

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Autumn is a credit to you. Such a confident, friendly and sociable wee lass.
    Obviously hanging about with her Granddad and a load of strange old(er) people in a field and on the river is proper character building stuff :-)

Col
    As above and Autumn is a pretty amazing photographer too, thanks for sharing both your sets of photographs Doug.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123