Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Barrow II" - The Return Of Biggish Meet (Aug 17th-18th) 2019

As requested by Ewan:

Interested Peeps

• Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    • carbon (John).
    • Jonah aka
    • Jewels666 (Juliet) Fri-Sun
    • bigyellowtractor (Friday to Sunday (or maybe even Monday))
    • MagiKelly plus Mrs MagiKelly and dogs. Fri-Sun
    • Sue T (Fri-Mon)
    • Sirus (Pete) and the wife (Friday-Sunday)
    • kmac (and pooch) Fri-Sun
    • Bobbing Ben + an assortment of minions (Friday Sunday)
    • Mal Grey (dependent on timing of Scandinavia trip)
    • Dougoutcanoe and Autumn (Hoping for a reasonable drive there this time. Instead of the over 5 hours last time 2 and bit hrs stuck on the M6 )
    • Mrs & Mrs John P will be delighted to attend from the Friday Evening until the Sunday. Thank you in anticipation.
    • Potty, Diana, Tracy, Nettie, Ant (plus 2 beer coolers and a crocodile ) Provisional Fri-Mon.
    • David Fletcher Fri - Sunday
    • Brendan Reilly, Friday to Sunday
    • Tyro Fri - Sun (subject to new transport)
    • Jarvimus (Ian), Friday - Sunday)
    • Geoff and Cherry (Fri to Mon)
    • Cragger Fri - Sun Hope to make this while since I've been on a club meet
    • Simms (Simon) & Karen - Friday to Monday (Jon, I'll bring that £2 we still owe you from the mid summer bash .... sorry )
    • Gary C - Fri - Mon
    • Kharga & Cellarman (ex Bob was my Idol) Fri - Mon hopefully
    • Rimfire and Sewboat (Friday evening to Sunday)
    • Bernie (bhofmann), daughter Selena, and The Song of the Paddle paddle! (Friday evening to Sunday)

Day Visitor List (for anyone wanting to join the paddling, but not the camping)

• Mayobren...…….errrrr will rock up at some stage...….possibly camping.....not sure yet

just wanting to change the the theme of people not able to attend i know what that is like had to pull out of things befor for personal reasons
    so just like to say
    still going cragger
    People keep telling me im in my second childhood I never left my first

Karen & Simon (Simms) STILL GOING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simms ..

Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough...

(Yes I'm still going too)

Hi All,

Apologies this is not 'styled'! I'm aiming for a final newsletter this weekend, but it's looking kinda busy and wanted to get these 'rules' out there for peeps to ruminate upon. I'll also upload a small form peeps can print of for the movie still quiz - all entrants will receive a token of our appreciation ;-).

The Bake Off:

Kinda a quote from 2017, but tweaked for 2019

We have often been the beneficiaries of some excellent home made fare on many of the meets we've attended.

Couple of excellent recent [ok 2 years ago now, but still memorable] examples from Mark's Burns paddle:

(And there are many more past examples on the bloggs, which may/may not have involved SPAM)

Therefore the Big-ish Meet 2019 will [again] host a Sat night "Bake Off" competition.

The idea being we'd have table/tarp near the fire on Sat evening, anyone who wants to contribute some homemade group nibbles [cakes, biscuits, canapes, volovants, shortbread etc] can place said food on the table, each anonymised with a unique number.

Then when people sample the delights, they write an overall score on a scale of 1 (Jon's dodgy soup) to 10 (Mark's most excellent chicken dinners), on a voting slip, the design of which shall be a closely guarded secret to prevent unwarranted rigging by foreign powers.

The 'score' being a personal assessment of taste, texture, effort, presentation and well, niceness.

The voting slips will be dropped into a jar for a vote count.

Each dish will initially be scored based on the average score for each entrant, where there have been at least 5 slips for the dish.

The score will receive a +1 bonus if (mostly) made/prepared by someone under 18.

The score will receive a +1 bonus if (mostly) made/prepared on site.

The possible -1 weighting if the dish involves SPAM, has been waived, as I quite like SPAM.

There will be a second table/area for "Fake Off" (Fri and Sat), for 'bought stuff' i.e, the likes of self service cheese & biccies, crisps, Pringles etc that non-competitors can also contribute to group munchies if they so want.

Best Themed Boat/Crew

So this is an idea currently targeted at Sun morning, but may be changed at d'management or d'weather discretion. Anybody wanting to enter would need to have themselves and their canoe 'dressed' an on the water for 10:00am on Sun - which may of course mean the surface is bereft of craft!.

However if the water surface is disturbed by the presence of canoe hulls (which I guess it will as we have a plan), then we'll do a simple show of hands/volume of cheer for each canoe/crew based on perceived creativity, effort, fun, movie recognition.

Peeps are most welcome to paddle attired or get changed before we head off.

Some sort of random prizes for the Duck Race, Bake Off, Themed Boat/Crew, Photo Quiz will be awarded Sun morning!.

Possibly worth noting that all these bits, and indeed paddling, singing, drinking etc over the weekend are all OPTIONAL! Fundamentally its a weekend for paddlers to get together and enjoy the company.

I'm generally running on the assumption that peeps with their names on the list are still coming. There are a few peeps who I know are intending to come/thinking about it who are not on the list. It would be helpful to get a more firm handle on numbers so if there are know changes can I ask for the list to be updated please.

Still Interested (might even turn up)

Jonah aka +1 hopefully Fri-Sun
    Last edited by jonah aka; 7th-August-2019 at 05:51 PM.

All sounds brilliant Jon. Would love to come but will be in Siberia. Hope everyone has a blast.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

The inevitable has happened. The only dates that work for a Scandinavian trip (Finland has morphed into Sweden!) mean that....

....I can still come to Barrow!!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks for the confirmations and nice that timing fits for you Mal.
    I've tweaked the list accordingly.
    Er.... enjoy Siberia Robin!, never been, but heard it can be a tad chilly.

Interested Peeps

• Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    • carbon (John).
    • Jonah aka +1
    • Sue T (Fri-Mon)
    • Dougoutcanoe and Autumn (Hoping for a reasonable drive there this time. Instead of the over 5 hours last time 2 and bit hrs stuck on the M6 )
    • Mrs & Mrs John P will be delighted to attend from the Friday Evening until the Sunday. Thank you in anticipation.
    • Potty, Diana, Tracy, Nettie, Ant (plus 2 beer coolers and a crocodile ) Provisional Fri-Mon.
    • Simms (Simon) & Karen - Friday to Monday (Jon, I'll bring that £2 we still owe you from the mid summer bash .... sorry )
    • Gary C - Fri - Mon
    • Bernie (bhofmann), daughter Selena, and The Song of the Paddle paddle! (Friday evening to Sunday)
    • Mal Grey

• Mayobren...…….errrrr will rock up at some stage...….possibly camping.....not sure yet

Ooh, I'm on the list twice now, does that mean I can eat and drink twice as much? Actually, I'm going to invite my dad to join us for a day or even overnight, so might even be two Greys...

No Mal, it just means you have to paddle twice as far as the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Ooh, I'm on the list twice now, does that mean I can eat and drink twice as much? Actually, I'm going to invite my dad to join us for a day or even overnight, so might even be two Greys...
    But we won't know who is who
    What about your son Maj and the 3 amigos Nick, Graham and Jim?

Still coming
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

GRRRR

Blinkin' Ryanair. Whilst I am flying Norwegian to Sweden, Rob was going Ryanair. Of course, they've decided to strike on the dates of both our outgoing and return flights. So we've therefore just moved the whole trip forward by a week, at a relatively modest extra cost.

This means I will NOT be coming. Annoyed....

If anybody wants to have a front passenger in my canoe on the Sunday, my dad, Ted, may or may not still be interested. He's reasonably well house trained.

Unfortunately we can't make it Kharga and Cellarman

I would like to come along to this meet with my daughter.

We are new to canoeing so 11 miles might be a bit much and we don't have suitable wet weather gear, so I will have to discuss it with my daughter when she gets home in a day or two.

There was talk of a car shuttle for people wanting a shorter trip - might we be included in this?

Otherwise I can bring my bike and drop the car off somewhere in the morning before we set off. Looking at the route, the pub stop might be a good place as it gives us the option of stopping at Stanford and walking to get the car or stopping at the pub.

Thanks

Mike

I never measure the distance I paddle so not sure how hard it will be to paddle 11 miles. I know Jo may have issues with a long slog so we may do a shorter route too but part of me keeps thinking that as this is a regular trip it must be fine or everyone would be complaining each year
    John

We’re the same, we’ll see what routs there are and make the choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simms ..

I will be running a shuttle, from about half way, back to camp

The "downhill bit" on the river is by far the nicest bit. The final few miles on the canal can be a drag, and are pretty much guaranteed to be into the wind! Its never felt like a tough 11 miles though, to be honest.

It would be simple enough to run a shuttle to, say The Boat Inn, which would seem a convenient place to wait for the poor old drivers to return. This would save around 3 1/2 miles at a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    I will be running a shuttle, from about half way, back to camp
    Top man Dave.

Really sad I'm missing this one. I shall think of you from the shores of Stora Gla. Actually, I probably won't, not too much anyway

We usually work a day trip on a river somewhere between 10 and 12 miles or so for a relaxed trip. This is only partially on the river so the last mile or two can drag a little if you're not used to it. But there are usually plenty of stops including a pub so most manage it easily enough. And if your tandem it should help. Hopefully someone will bring a lock key (ahem cankay) and save the odd portage
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    ... Hopefully someone will bring a lock key (ahem cankay) and save the odd portage
    I'll add mine to my "items to take" list too.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Thanks for the confirmations and nice that timing fits for you Mal.
    I've tweaked the list accordingly.
    Er.... enjoy Siberia Robin!, never been, but heard it can be a tad chilly.

Interested Peeps

• Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    • carbon (John).
    • Jonah aka +1
    • Sue T (Fri-Mon)
    • Gary C - Fri - Mon
    • Mal Grey

Unfortunately due to work commitments I won’t be able to come anymore Hopefully I can make another one in the future.

Bren

Quick list tidy up and I think we're currently looking at:

Interested Peeps:

Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    carbon (John).
    Jonah aka +1
    Jewels666 (Juliet) Fri-Sun
    bigyellowtractor (Friday to Sunday (or maybe even Monday))
    MagiKelly plus Mrs MagiKelly and dogs. Fri-Sun
    Sue T (Fri-Mon)
    Sirus (Pete) and the wife (Friday-Sunday)
    kmac (and pooch) Fri-Sun
    Bobbing Ben + an assortment of minions (Friday Sunday)
    Dougoutcanoe and Autumn (Hoping for a reasonable drive there this time. Instead of the over 5 hours last time 2 and bit hrs stuck on the M6 )
    Mrs & Mrs John P will be delighted to attend from the Friday Evening until the Sunday. Thank you in anticipation.
    Potty, Diana, Tracy, Nettie, Ant (plus 2 beer coolers and a crocodile ) Provisional Fri-Mon.
    David Fletcher Fri - Sunday
    Tyro Fri - Sun (subject to new transport)
    Jarvimus (Ian), Friday - Sunday)
    Geoff and Cherry (Fri to Mon)
    Cragger Fri - Sun Hope to make this while since I've been on a club meet
    Simms (Simon) & Karen - Friday to Monday (Jon, I'll bring that £2 we still owe you from the mid summer bash .... sorry )
    Gary C - Fri - Mon
    Rimfire and Sewboat (Friday evening to Sunday)
    Bernie (bhofmann), daughter Selena, and The Song of the Paddle paddle! (Friday evening to Sunday)
    MysteryMike +1

Mayobren...…….errrrr will rock up at some stage...….possibly camping.....not sure yet

Looking forward to catching up with some old friends and making new ones :-).

Jon,
    When do the facilities depart, thinking of leaving Mon so a relaxed Sun eve and helping with the tidying up in the morning, not that there will be any.
    So Potty & pals ... Fri - Mon ... if OK.
    Note: the crocodile is now on a starvation diet so that should help with the clear up too
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

On the way! Might be a Sunday arrival if there's anymore of these bloody trees.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

When do the facilities depart, thinking of leaving Mon
    Facilities depart Monday, however I don't have a fixed time, but they will be on site overnight on Sun.

Might be a Sunday arrival if there's anymore of these bloody trees.
    Nice on John, great to see you whenever you arrive, although I'm not sure you've picked the most efficient craft to paddle ;-).

I have to admit that I'm looking at the forecast and wondering whether it's worth 7+ hours of driving now.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    I have to admit that I'm looking at the forecast and wondering whether it's worth 7+ hours of driving now.

Dunno what you mean? Clear skies Sat night and mild, perfect sitting about the camp burning stuff and singing weather! Oh, you wanted to paddle? I've seen far worse forecasts!!

Got to agree with Mal, there's not a lot wrong with the forecast and we all know the weather people never get it right

Hi

Due to work & Family commitments now going to arrive Saturday morning and depart Sunday evening.

Cheers

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post
    On the way! Might be a Sunday arrival if there's anymore of these bloody trees.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I see you've done an uncle Albert!

Nice on John, great to see you whenever you arrive, although I'm not sure you've picked the most efficient craft to paddle ;-).
    You think they'd give him a better ship now he's all trained up

The bbc weather is for rain from fri afternoon till Sunday morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Got to agree with Mal, there's not a lot wrong with the forecast and we all know the weather people never get it right

Do you have a link for that forecast? I will use it instead of the BBC one in future :-)

no forecast is accurate more than 3 days out.

Just keep looking at forecasts until you find one you like.

Nobody who stays at home will have more fun than those who go out anyway, as a group of daft paddlers, camp in a field and paddle lots or little, together.

You're spot on Mal. I spoke to my daughter and I've obviously raised her well because her response was "If it's really that bad we'll just sleep in the car".

I've heard "We regret the things we didn't do" so we're committed now.

The weather site I use is XC weather because it shows wind direction, strength, and gust strength:

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Loughborough

Great to read the enthusiastic posts still . Alas all the planning in the world can't overcome the weather!

There are loop choices around 2,5,8,11 miles so plenty of choices to cater for personal preferences/prevailing conditions .... and a couple of pubs if needed!.

I've just found out that the reason I had to drop out earlier no longer applies, so I'm back on the list:

Interested Peeps:

Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    carbon (John).
    Jonah aka +1
    Sue T (Fri-Mon)
    kmac (and pooch) Fri-Sun
    Dougoutcanoe and Autumn (Hoping for a reasonable drive there this time. Instead of the over 5 hours last time 2 and bit hrs stuck on the M6 )
    Mrs & Mrs John P will be delighted to attend from the Friday Evening until the Sunday. Thank you in anticipation.
    Potty, Diana, Tracy, Nettie, Ant (plus 2 beer coolers and a crocodile ) Provisional Fri-Mon.
    Simms (Simon) & Karen - Friday to Monday (Jon, I'll bring that £2 we still owe you from the mid summer bash .... sorry )
    Gary C - Fri - Mon
    Rimfire and Sewboat (Friday evening to Sunday)
    Bernie (bhofmann), daughter Selena, and The Song of the Paddle paddle! (Friday evening to Sunday)
    MysteryMike +1
    Chris_B

Mayobren...…….errrrr will rock up at some stage...….possibly camping.....not sure yet

Dear all,

I just signed up to the site less than a week ago. My wife, 8 year old son and I live very locally and we'd love to join you this weekend. I've been asking for some help in the introduction section choosing a canoe, and we plan to buy our canoe this week. I appreciate all the great advice that people have given. We've done a bit of canoeing in Finland. My wife and son are Finnish and I lived there for 8 years. We even did a lovely trip on our holidays there last week. This will be the first time we'll own our own canoe, we're excited but a little overwhelmed. I don't think we'll have time to sort out paddles, as we don't have a clue which ones to buy. When we've hired canoes before, there has never been a choice. I was planning to order one for our son, but I really don't know what size he needs. Do you think anyone would be able to lend us a child's paddle for the weekend?

We won't be able to join until Saturday afternoon, so might just join for the camping. We would be very keen to join you all for the trip on Sunday. Alternatively, if we are too late then it's fine for us to just come for the day on Sunday.

I hope we get the chance to meet you all. We live just across the boarder in Nottingham, so this is amazingly convenient.

Thanks, Tony

We have a spare adult paddle and a small childs one, nothing special, I will bring them both in case you need them.

Hi Tony.

You are most welcome to join us whatever day/time works best for you. Although we have a general timing plan for the weekend, we may need to be flexible around the weather. That said, there are likely to a few people around to welcome you to the fields whatever time you arrive.

Happy shopping!

Cheers
    Jon

Well I’m pretty much packed. We are splitting the journey and staying with friends tomorrow night half way there. Been a confusing packing operation. I’m used to packing for wild camping with tarps etc or pack(my for a weekend away staying with friends. This was a sort of hybrid. Had to dig out the big Vango Genesis tent and get new airbeams.

We will be arriving Friday early afternoon. Saturday we will just be doing a short paddle. Maybe a few short paddles having a bit of a mooch about depending on the weather and how much chatting we are doing.

I’ll have badges and the new skeleton Quentin stickers. There will be free skeleton stickers for all canoes at the meet-up. I need to test how easy these are to apply. Because of the design they are not as straight forward as the original design to put on so these may be kept for giving away only. I should have standard stickers too but need to pick some up from the printer tomorrow.
    John

Evening All, Please can you amend the attendance list to show Little Madame will now accompany Rimfire and Sewboat.
    Cheers
    Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Interested Peeps:

Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    carbon (John).
    Jonah aka +1
    Sue T (Fri-Mon)
    kmac (and pooch) Fri-Sun
    Potty, Diana, Tracy, Nettie, Ant (plus 2 beer coolers and a crocodile ) Fri-Mon.
    Gary C - Fri - Mon
    Rimfire, Sewboat & Little Madame (Friday evening to Sunday)
    MysteryMike +1
    Chris_B

Spirodela (Tony & family) ... camping Sat and/or paddling Sun

Updates above ... the weather is going to be glorious , excepting Friday that is.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Sorry for the late call but would you have room for two more?

Myself and Red Eye (Graham) have had some "calendar adjustments" which means the weekend is ours, so our intention was to drive up early Saturday to be with you about 9 and then we have to leave on Sunday evening.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Absolutely fine, great you can make it!
    See you Sat!

All:
    Small call out for tarp-age, and wood - kinda bring what you can, esp those arriving Fri.
    Chances are they may be a wee group going to the pub for Fri grub! Anyone/everyone welcome (prob the Soar Bridge Inn as it has a nice big back room!)

Interested Peeps:

Cankay (Jon) Fri-Sun
    carbon (John).
    Jonah aka +1
    Sue T (Fri-Mon)
    kmac (and pooch) Fri-Sun
    Potty, Diana, Tracy, Nettie, Ant (plus 2 beer coolers and a crocodile ) Fri-Mon.
    Gary C - Fri - Mon
    Rimfire, Sewboat & Little Madame (Friday evening to Sunday)
    MysteryMike +1
    Chris_B
    Nickout and RedEye

Spirodela (Tony & family) ... camping Sat and/or paddling Sun

Just in case anyone wants to print out & submit - extra guess still at the bottom for a bit of extra challenge.

(Alternatively, a scrap a paper with number and film/programme titles is fine!)
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; 15th-August-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Hi Nick,
    Small call out for tarp-age, and wood - kinda bring what you can, esp those arriving Fri.
    I'll bring "substantial" tarp-age with me, and a little bit of wood. Pub on Friday night sounds good.

David.
    Last edited by Tyro; 15th-August-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

I’ve already left effectively, I’m at work and going straight from here, otherwise I could have brought a lot of tarps.

I think we we are eating out on Friday with a friend of Jo’s but not sure where yet. Will be somewhere nearby.
    John

I will be on my way tomorrow morning; via Witney Hospital and Northampton. Hopefully arriving mid to late afternoon

(Graham, I did actually manage to be arsed to get my sh!t together !!!!!!!)

Pub sounds good to us.

Has the fresh water supply been situation been resolved? I would rather not bring a full 25 litre water container if I can help it?

Cheers Steve
    Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Another drop out here. Gutted but pooch is ill and I have to care for him. Missus has revoked permission.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Please don't video the singing

[QUOTE=mysterymike;674146]
    "We have a spare adult paddle and a small childs one, nothing special, I will bring them both in case you need them."

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the message. We have just bought our canoe (a second hand Bell), it came with two paddles - so my wife and I will be fine. But if we could borrow the child's paddle that would be great.

Thanks, Tony

It is already packed

=Spirodela;674320]
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterymike View Post
    "We have a spare adult paddle and a small childs one, nothing special, I will bring them both in case you need them."

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the message. We have just bought our canoe (a second hand Bell), it came with two paddles - so my wife and I will be fine. But if we could borrow the child's paddle that would be great.

Thanks, Tony

Just checked the route before I set off: If anyone is driving to Barrow tonight, and using the M1, the A512 from J23 towards Barrow will be closed completely from 8pm to 6am.

Jon et al,

Hope you all have a good un! ...and I'm sure you will! ( Prior planning and preparation prevents otherwise...and Jon's very good at this! )
    We're all still working on the weather I guess, but modern technology will help us deal with whatever....I'm digging out my Sou'wester as I now type this in and wish that I could be there for this week-end!

Have a great week end all!

ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

A last minute change of plans means that I can visit just for today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast