Thread: BWCA Fees Go Up

Journal Entries

Default BWCA Fees Go Up

Camping in the BWCA requires a permit with a fee. The fee is an initial cost allowing you to remain for as long as you like - once the fee is paid.

Fee is going up.

http://www.startribune.com/531/story/1335800.html
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

They're right, even with the increase in fees, it is a bargain. And I know that since the fees have been collected at my local national lakeshore, the trails have been improved and backcountry sites have been improved. But I'm always skeptical when they include "visitor information programs" in the list of things my backcountry usage fees will support. If there's no fee for the day user, then I'm just self-centered enough to not want to pay for them to have visitor information programs.

For a few years the national parks pass was $50 per year. If you lived in the western U.S. you might need a forest service hologram, too, which cost $15. This calendar year the fee for a combined pass-hologram went to $85 (I think). Obviously this means an increase for those in the west as well as the east, but for those of us in the east, it's a much bigger increase, because we never needed the hologram. Maybe my math's wrong, but I think the cost of my parks pass went up 70% (from $50 to $85). I realize it goes to a cause in which I believe, and believe very deeply. I care about our national parks and our national forests, and for that matter our interstates and lots of other things. But I couldn't handle it if all those things I use and care about went up 70%.

OK, rant over. I'll just have to keep on paying, AND getting to stay in some incredibly beautiful places in return. Hmmm, sounds better already. Was that a loon over there... ?

Pringles

3. Default

That is a bargain for a single night in the wilderness but it's a real steal if you are staying longer than that. Especially if their figure of 200 000 visitors a year is correct - that isn't very many so the sense of isolation and peace must be great.
    Why do so few people use it when the cost of tranquility and escape is so low?

Soggy