Thread: Cuxmere River - Tidal Paddle

Default Cuxmere River - Tidal Paddle

I'm thinking about a tidal paddle up the Cuxmere towards Alfriston.

We would need to start 1hr after high tide in eastbourne to catch the tide, so date is dependent on that being at a reasonable time in the morning.

I have not done this paddle before, but looks like a fun one to try

Dates that look good best so far is: 0840 start on 17th March, welcome to any other suggestions

I have done this a couple of times although too long ago to remember the exact details. As I remember it, we launched by the canoe club, paddled down to the sea wall, portaged, carried the tide as far as we could, went to the pub for lunch. returned soon after the tide had turned and reversed the process.

All as described in Slime's Pub Paddles.

However, for me, just back from two upstream on the tide paddles, one epic, one twee, 8.40 start is just too early for me.

I have also paddled the Cuckmere some time ago. Where were you thinking of launching?
    Surely if going upstream and you start an hour after high tide you will very soon be paddling against a falling tide?
    Think I am with Impcanoe 08:40 is a bit early for me travelling from Kent.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

may need to wait for the tides to be kinder for this one, the timing is based of a comment on paddlepoints for a start at cuckmere haven canoe club.

Might need to wait a few months for a nice high tide at about 10 or 11 am

I had similar tidal thoughts, but I looked at Slime's book and that's what it said, and I suspect. what we did.

Did this paddle couple of years ago. You need to have water at top end as can be narrow and muddy. Got to say apart from the village being lovely to walk round, I would not do this paddle again. I found it short and not very exciting. You need to plan arriving about 1 hour before high at alfriston and leave as tide turns. Give the Ouse or adur a go, much more fun.

This is going back a few years...

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/899-A-Day-On-The-Cuckmere

Including this comment...

...the other interesting aspect of the river is its odd tidal behaviour. A sand bar at Exceat Haven prevents all but spring tides from flowing up the river, and even then they only flow about an hour before high tide (or so I was told). This meant a short flood tide, and long ebb. We had left ourselves only 1 hour 40 minutes to paddle the 5 miles to Alfriston before high tide (the same as Dover high tide I was told), and I was banking on the tide to give us a hand. Actually, we were not as tight as I was led to believe.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

I’m sat at Alfriston at the moment and an hour after high tide at Cuckmere Haven the water is still rising. Judging by the soggy banks it still has a way to go before it gets to its maximum, so leaving an hour after high tide might be perfect for an up and back trip.