Thread: Female Ranger Retires

Default Female Ranger Retires

The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

What a lot of hassle she had to go through, and only fairly recently too.

Mrs MP is a countryside ranger, mostly delivering education and interpretation events now, but still undertakes the tree safety assessments and gets out to do a bit practical work sometimes too. There have never been any issues about her gender whatsoever - in fact we've often said that a few more female rangers coming through would be a good thing.

Sounds like Barb Soderberg was clear on what she wanted to do.
    I bet she doesn't really retire tho' - I'd bet on her finding a way to carry on - volunteering maybe, or just out enjoying the countryside.

I used to be a Ranger,still am, in spirit at least. only job I ever wanted.

When I started, the Ranger service in Europe was still dominated by men with beards (bit like canoeing) Many of them had set veiws about who a Ranger should be (not female, short hair, no earings etc) and many of them felt I wasn't likely to be up to repairing paths, felling trees, left on my own in remote areas. I was the youngest State employed Ranger in Europe at the time and felt my age and gender occasinally counted against me. I worked very hard to prove I was capable. Now there seems to be more female Rangers than men, but the roles expected seem to hace changed in many instances too.

The only time I was overruled going out on patrol was when someone reported a man exposing himself in a wooded area. Neither myself or a female summer Ranger were allowed to go and have a look.

I hope Barb fully enjoys her 'retirement' doing what she loves.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Done a lot, lived through a lot, enjoyed a lot and now she'll get to do some of it again, only with her grandchildren. Good luck to her and the area she so loves.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.