Thread: Weybridge loop - Saturday 16th Feb?

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Default Weybridge loop - Saturday 16th Feb?

Hi all
    The weather looks good for this Saturday and I've not completed the Weybridge loop yet (without swimming!), so this is just a general call to see who fancies joining me? Put in would probably be at New Haw lock (http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=111).

I believe it's a 12-ish mile trip, so start time would probably have to be 9.30 for 10am, but advice is welcome if it needs to be earlier/later. Grub stop will probably be below the Byfleet Mill portage.

Cheers, Jim

Sorry, I will be on Ynys Mon, preparing for my next adventure, an ascent of the Mersey (with possible encounter with the Bore). I think your time would be ok as with a grand daughter I did it considerably faster. I recognise that despite overtaking walkers on the tow path, a SOTP paddle seems to come out at a 2 mph average. Spend a little time scouting the put in to the river. There are some evil bits of fencing as well as some benign er bits at the waters edge if you are going from navigation to stream. We used to go "round" the weir and launch into the pool, but last time I looked it was inhospitable. Jim, remember to rest on the river pointing straight down or up the flow, not across it. and that sterring strokes only really work when you are going faster or slower, than the flosw

Have a good time.

Impcanoe
    Last edited by Impcanoe; 13th-February-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Sorry, I will be on Ynys Mon, preparing for my next adventure, an ascent of the Mersey (with possible encounter with the Bore). I think your time would be ok as with a grand daughter I did it considerably faster. I recognise that despite overtaking walkers on the tow path, a SOTP paddle seems to come out at a 2 mph average. Spend a little time scouting the put in to the river. There are some evil bits of fencing as well as some benign er bits at the waters edge if you are going from navigation to stream. We used to go "round" the weir and launch into the pool, but last time I looked it was inhospitable.

Have a good time.

Impcanoe
    Thanks, Peter. I think the weir pool at Walsham is pretty much inaccessible these days, so we'll be launching from lower down (near where I swam!). Will keep an eye out for fencing bits etc. Have a good time on the Mersey and I hope you meet the bore. See you on the water soon.
    Jim

Count me in.

9.30 for 10.00 sounds fine. I have done this in 4 or 5 hours, but 6 is more common!

There has been work around the weir, which has just finished, so for a short while, until the undergrowth comes back with a vengeance, it looks relatively straightforward. However, happy to drop from canal to river at the usual spot a few hundred metres down.

Levels should be good, enough but not too much. Lunch spot sounds fine, though there seems to be a regular local/fisherman having a go at paddlers there recently, several reports, so might be better to actually stop for a while earlier to avoid stirring things up further (not that its any of his business while we're on the footpath). If he's the chap I've met, he's relatively polite about it, especially once he realises you've not parked there, but are just portaging.

I'll stick something up on the Farcebook page too, as certain SOTPers only seem to live there these days

Peter, I hope your paddle is just the right side of Boreing.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

It might be a tad too close to exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Count me in.

9.30 for 10.00 sounds fine. I have done this in 4 or 5 hours, but 6 is more common!

There has been work around the weir, which has just finished, so for a short while, until the undergrowth comes back with a vengeance, it looks relatively straightforward. However, happy to drop from canal to river at the usual spot a few hundred metres down.

Levels should be good, enough but not too much. Lunch spot sounds fine, though there seems to be a regular local/fisherman having a go at paddlers there recently, several reports, so might be better to actually stop for a while earlier to avoid stirring things up further (not that its any of his business while we're on the footpath). If he's the chap I've met, he's relatively polite about it, especially once he realises you've not parked there, but are just portaging.

I'll stick something up on the Farcebook page too, as certain SOTPers only seem to live there these days

Peter, I hope your paddle is just the right side of Boreing.
    I haven't seen the stretch just after Walsham since last May, but the big nasty blockage in the photo on Paddle Points was still there then and required a tricky climb and drag manoeuver in fairly high water. I'd be happy to use your usual crossing point further down the river. It might even be beyond the tree which had me last time!

Hopefully, we'll have a few takers before Saturday. Not that there's anything wrong with your company, Mal I'm just worried that we'll have too much cake to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Jim, remember to rest on the river pointing straight down or up the flow, not across it. and that sterring strokes only really work when you are going faster or slower, than the flosw.
    Thank you, Peter. I appreciate the advice and will put it into practise. Jim

Jim,

I'd love to do the Weybridge loop again but need to do some mods to my boat before I come out for a serious day.

Have fun

OK, well via Facebook we've got some takers;

Jim
    Mal
    Paul and Yvonne
    Richard

Colin, there's nothing on this loop to be worried about, it's just longer. The tree lined bit is short.

Colin, there's nothing on this loop to be worried about, it's just longer. The tree lined bit is short.
    Mal, I've done it before so not worried. I want to fit some rope end-loops rather than the fragile little eye-bolts but also the seat position needs sorting and/or kneeling seat/thwart fitting. It's just not comfy as as.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I am very much a 'maybe'
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Jim,

I'd love to do the Weybridge loop again but need to do some mods to my boat before I come out for a serious day.

Have fun
    Colin, what about your Pyranha? It would be a shame not to come out if you're free and have a serviceable boat.

OK, well via Facebook we've got some takers;

Jim
    Mal
    Paul and Yvonne
    Richard
    Excellent, so...

DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal
    Paul and Yvonne
    Richard

MAYBE
    Fran

I'm a maybe too

Well I am not going to miss out on this - so count me in as well please.

Could an armada be gathering...

DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal
    Paul and Yvonne
    Richard
    Nick

MAYBE
    Fran
    Peter (Sirus)

Good stuff.

We might be wise to limit this at about 10 boats (ish), given the number of "ins and outs" and the slight sensitivity of the first river section and one of the portages.

Unlikely, but its just possible I might overnight Fri night from the Tannery (to test a different camp spot), and paddle down from above to meet you. If I do, I might be begging a lift back at the end though!

yes I am a definite as it has been time since I last paddle this loop

graham

DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal
    Paul and Yvonne
    Richard
    Nick
    Graham

MAYBE
    Fran
    Peter (Sirus)
    Maj (if he recovers from illness apparently)

What about Ellery, be a good trip for him.

Good stuff.

We might be wise to limit this at about 10 boats (ish), given the number of "ins and outs" and the slight sensitivity of the first river section and one of the portages.
    Mal, it looks like we'll be around the 10-ish number if the maybes firm up. I wouldn't be sure how to go about limiting numbers, should the need arise, but appreciate your advice.

Unlikely, but its just possible I might overnight Fri night from the Tannery (to test a different camp spot), and paddle down from above to meet you. If I do, I might be begging a lift back at the end though!
    I'm sure we'll be able to rustle up a shuttle for you. Begging won't be necessary, but cake might help

Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    Colin, what about your Pyranha? It would be a shame not to come out if you're free and have a serviceable boat.
    I've got other stuff on now but might manage to get out for a couple of hours locally.

Mal, it looks like we'll be around the 10-ish number if the maybes firm up. I wouldn't be sure how to go about limiting numbers, should the need arise, but appreciate your advice.
    Just mentioning it on the thread normally does the job. The odd extra wouldn't matter, just makes sure we're not dozens. Not that that's happened for a while!

I'm sure we'll be able to rustle up a shuttle for you. Begging won't be necessary, but cake might help
    Cheers. I've realised that my plan would have meant lugging full camping gear over all the portages, so have abandoned that plan! Though not entirely, but if I do, I'll be making sure I'm finished and parked up with you guys.

I've realised that my plan would have meant lugging full camping gear over all the portages, so have abandoned that plan! Though not entirely, but if I do, I'll be making sure I'm finished and parked up with you guys.
    Couldn't you stash your gear somewhere and get it on the way back ?. Shouldn't be difficult to find a spot

Couldn't you stash your gear somewhere and get it on the way back ?. Shouldn't be difficult to find a spot
    All a bit too much hassle for me

I have just thought of a plan C though. Parking at Pyrford for a camp, then returning there to wait for everybody else. All of this would depend on me actually finishing work early enough though...

All a bit too much hassle for me

I have just thought of a plan C though. Parking at Pyrford for a camp, then returning there to wait for everybody else. All of this would depend on me actually finishing work early enough though...
    You'd better line up a plan D then Mal

A few years since I did this one nicely blogged by Mal here almost 3 years ago to the weekend

You'd better line up a plan D then Mal
    Plan D is a glass of wine in front of the telly. I'm hoping Plan C is on...just finishing up work.

So, my plan is now to join you at Pyrford lock sometime mid-morning unless I finish early enough to drive to New Haw.

We also have Stewart joining us now.

DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal (will join you at Pyrford lock if not before)
    Paul and Yvonne
    Richard
    Nick
    Graham
    Stewart

MAYBE
    Fran
    Peter (Sirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    A few years since I did this one nicely blogged by Mal here almost 3 years ago to the weekend
    Excellent blog. Looking forward to tomorrow. It'd be good to see you, if you can make it.

Plan D is a glass of wine in front of the telly. I'm hoping Plan C is on...just finishing up work.

So, my plan is now to join you at Pyrford lock sometime mid-morning unless I finish early enough to drive to New Haw.

We also have Stewart joining us now.

DEFINITE
    Jim
    Mal (will join you at Pyrford lock if not before)
    Paul and Yvonne
    Richard
    Nick
    Graham
    Stewart

MAYBE
    Fran
    Peter (Sirus)
    Looking forward to it. Weather looking overcast tomorrow, but dry and light winds. Have a good night in the wilds and see you on the water.
    Jim

Hopefully I'll be at Pyrford Lock before you. If I get up in time...

Can one of you let me know when you set off, might help my timing.

Looking at the map, guessing 11 at Pyrford for you guys, so will aim at then.

Can one of you let me know when you set off, might help my timing.
    Mal. Apologies, I haven't been online tonight and you're, hopefully, fast akip under the stars/cloud by now. 11am at Pyrford looks about right (2.5 miles), but I'll set a reminder on my phone to text you when we set off. See you then.

Cheers Jim.

Well, I woke up, anyway. Coffee in bed should get me going on time.

Paul and Yvonne have had to drop out due to illness.

Cheers Jim.

Well, I woke up, anyway. Coffee in bed should get me going on time.
    Good night?

Paul and Yvonne have had to drop out due to illness.
    Ok thanks. I'll amend my list.

Thanks to all for a great paddling adventure today and special thanks to Pete for providing this week's watery entertainment I'm sure my turn will come around soon! Blog to follow.

Great day, even better coming after a lovely night out on the meadows under the tarp. Paying for it now, though, that extra few hours on the go and I'm completely shattered. And my knee is broken. And an ankle. And my elbow. I do have 3 working joints though, at least.

Thanks all!

Great day, even better coming after a lovely night out on the meadows under the tarp. Paying for it now, though, that extra few hours on the go and I'm completely shattered. And my knee is broken. And an ankle. And my elbow. I do have 3 working joints though, at least.

Thanks all!
    i bet that extra hour paddle back to the pyrford seemed a lot longer

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    i bet that extra hour paddle back to the pyrford seemed a lot longer
    That bit past the giant posh care home had me wondering if I'd be old enough to be in it before I got past it! The boys helped me loads though, by sending me pictures of their pints...

That bit past the giant posh care home had me wondering if I'd be old enough to be in it before I got past it! The boys helped me loads though, by sending me pictures of their pints...
    I guess they all drove up to the anchor? looking forward to the blog. Tomorrow is rest day i guess, enjoy!