Thread: Petition to reinstate the ferry to Norway

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Default Petition to reinstate the ferry to Norway

Hi all, as per title I have started a petition on 38 degrees website to reinstate the ferry from Newcastle to Norway. I feel that, whatever happens on 29th on March this year, we can do with a link to Scandinavia. If you agree, please sign the petition? If you can get family and friends to sign individually, the better.
    I've cleared this with MagicKelly. Here is the link...

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...e-bergen-ferry

Thank you

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Signed, though sadly I think economics keep killing it off. Difficult to prove the demand and get investors unless lots of potential customers shout up, so worth a go. Scandinavia is such an amazing place for all sorts of paddle sports, plus all other outdoor activities, and it seems weird that there is no direct link there. It took us 3 days to drive there with canoes in 2017!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks Mal, my thoughts exactly

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Speaking as the child of Norwegians, has anybody asked their opinion? Maybe they don't want a bunch of canoe-toting Brits descending upon them......just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    Speaking as the child of Norwegians, has anybody asked their opinion? Maybe they don't want a bunch of canoe-toting Brits descending upon them......just sayin'....
    The last time I used that ferry it was full of very drunk Norwegians, stumbling into the wrong cabins etc!

Some very helpful comments as always
    As to drunken Norwegians on the ferry, bit like drunk English holiday makers making planes turn around to newcastle?

Thanks to all those who have signed the petition. Need a few more for 38 degrees to show it in their campaigns page. Keep them coming, thank you

I've posted a link to it on UKRGB and UK Climbing mate.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I've posted a link to it on UKRGB and UK Climbing mate.
    Thanks.Mal

Done. I don't fancy the three day drive around, not to mention the need for visas, driving permits etc. etc. for all the countries
    if we leave the EU next month.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Once you are in the Schengen area .....

Quote Originally Posted by bootstrap bob View Post
    done. I don't fancy the three day drive around, not to mention the need for visas, driving permits etc. Etc. For all the countries
    if we leave the eu next month.
    thanks bb

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Once you are in the Schengen area .....
    But will that apply to us after we leave?
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

But will that apply to us after we leave?
    It may be harder for UK citizens to get into the Schengen area, but once in there are no border controls so it doesn't matter where you're from

If it works for refugees it will work for us.

After the Newcastle ferry closed I used to get my motorbike and me on the DFDS cargo ferry from Immingham to Brevik.....the bike was generally described as tractor parts on the manifest.

It was a great 26 hour ride and twice I got to spend hours on the bridge and even steered it for a few minutes.....usually it was just me and another couple of bikers or cyclists on board.

Border Force stopped this two years ago as it was a ‘security risk’ ..... with the Ejsberg to Harwich ferry also stopped it is a pain in the butt to ride 1100 miles to the tip of Denmark.

Petition signed.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Just a wee update. So far we are just below 200 signatures. If the petition gets a hundred or more signatures, I'll approach the papers and see who'll run it. I'll keep you all informed. Thank you to those who signed so far. Please pass it on?
    Many thanks!!

Petition signed. I can share Patterdale Paddler's feelings about the Harwich-Esbjerg as I drove the campervan last summer to northern tip of Denmark for the Faroes ferry. The delays I experienced on the Autobahn made the journey particularly tedious.
    Geoff

Hi all, thank you everyone who signed, unfortunately the petition stranded at 222 signatures. I have now removed it as there's quite obviously no demand !!!
    A 3 day run around to Norway is now on the cards for next year!!!