Thread: Lyme Disease - new advice for NHS

Default Lyme Disease - new advice for NHS

Just remember "Not everyone with Lyme disease gets the rash."

You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Thank you for sharing

Has anyone tried those ultrasonic tick repellers

I am minded to get a couple of the pet versions as they seem to be the cheapest option on eBay and can't see much difference between that and the one branded for humans

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by twopigs View Post
    Just remember "Not everyone with Lyme disease gets the rash."

Just a few facts to keep things in perspective. There are an estimated 1000-3000 cases annually in the UK. Around 1000 per year are confirmed by a positive blood test. 2/3 of cases occur in Southern England.
    50-70% of patients remember getting bitten, and 60-90% develop a rash around the bite.
    Median time for the appearance of a rash after exposure is 21 days (range 3-32 days)
    Other symptoms (fever, headache, fatigue, neck stiffness, joint and muscle pains, enlarged lymph glands) can occur and typically last up to 3-4 weeks. These are very non-specific, with many much more common causes than Lyme disease, so if you think you are at risk, make sure to tell your GP why and when you may have been exposed.
    Last edited by Gordon G; 12th-February-2019 at 09:24 AM.

I’ve not seen the ultrasonic repellents for ticks. Ive seen them for midgies and not had a lot of luck with them. I’ve just got some Midge and Tick repellent from Pyramid I am about to test. It’s the first repellent I’ve seen that lists ticks as well as midgies so that could be useful. I’ve asked them about spraying it on clothes and they say it should work as a deterrent but they don’t recommend it as it could stain. I’m not greatly concerned about the clothes I wear while camping getting discoloured. Certainly not as much as I am concerned about getting Lymes.
    John

Not convinced about ultrasonic repellents for a couple of reasons.
    My dad has a load of ultrasonic rodent repellents and 2 things are noticable about them, firstly they don't deter rodents in the long term if at all, and secondly they are not entirely ultrasonic because I can sometimes hear them (and my hearing is terrible!). The idea is that the ultrsound is annoying to the rodents and they won't move in as a result, my dad's rodents seem to be able to put up with it. (he still has to empty the mouse traps frequently).

Also consider ultrasound. As a qualified ultrasonic operator I should know the range of frequencies normally audbile to humans, but the truth is I revised for the test and immediately forgot it again. Lots of animals hear higher frequencies than humans do, which anyone who has used a dog whistle will appreciate. So ultrasonic repellent works on the basis of transmitting white noise at a frequency that the intended repellee will find intolerable so they stay away, but how many other species are sensitive to the same frequencies? Humans aren't, that's how we define ultrasound (based on the range of human hearing) but what kind of noise pollution are these devices causing for other wildlife if you carry them whilst out and about in the countryside? What else are you going to disturb whilst using an ultrasonic repellent? It doesn't seem very nature friendly - not that chemical repellents are exactly friendly either, but you can probably liken the approaches to going about smelling a bit bad, vs going about blaring out music at high volume.

How hard can it be?

Thanks for sharing
    trying to keep up!

There are an estimated 1000-3000 cases annually in the UK
    If the claims in the [YouTube] John Caldwell interview on Lyme Disease are correct (and I have no evidence that that are or are not) that might better as "There are an estimated 1000-3000 cases diagnosed annually in the UK" - he suggests undiagnosed Lyme (possibly infected many years previously) may be responsible for a lot other disease. I'm wondering if a friend's ME in the 1980s might have been Lyme.

Currently Quebec Province, Canada. Oftimes N. Somerset, UK

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-scotl...my-whole-world

Mentions an app being developed "to map where ticks bites and Lyme disease have been detected."...
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

After picking up a tick in QLD last October I put a bit of time into doing some research around the issue of removal. Funnily enough Iíd just done a wilderness first aid course and the instructor had mentioned the benefits of freezing ticks off.

Freeze it donít squeeze it

https://youtu.be/j77nrTVM_j8

I now carry an aerosol of TickTox. Itís a new product here in Australia. The chemist hadnít heard of it but funnily enough a rep came in between my visits and I managed to get some.

Itís not Ďfully recommendedí advice yet so there is a grey area for me if Iím providing first aid care to others but Iím convinced and will only be freezing them off if I can in the future.

A friend of mine who is a midwife and now had a PhD in community health care wrote the following article with provides lots of detail for the issues here in Oz

https://tyresandsoles.com/2016/11/08...pull-them-out/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I got bitten by a tick end of May. I removed it by knocking it off ( i know a proper Tick remover tool would have been better as used on Dogs but they were downstairs ) I washed the area with anti-septic spray. A couple weeks later I developed a rash so I tried to get Doctors appointment but they just said that I should have a blood test. No anti-biotics. When I asked for Anti-biotics they refused until I had the blood test results. When I insisted the put me on to another Doctor. We ended up having a row. The blood test came back clear and so far ok. Will I get Lymes in the future ?

Repellants and such are all well and good but I think a simple physical barrier of tucking your trousers into your socks (or blousing them over your boots) works incredibly well as a prevention. In high tick areas I do also put a little DEET spray round the cuffs of my trousers and shirt (also helps stop midges going up there).

Sitting on a seat trather than the ground also seems to make a huge difference. A mate I go camping with regularly is always picking up ticks (and had Lyme disease a couple of years back). I rarely get one. The main difference is I take a chair with me, he lies about on the ground next to the fire.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Currently Quebec Province, Canada. Oftimes N. Somerset, UK

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    Repellants and such are all well and good but I think a simple physical barrier of tucking your trousers into your socks (or blousing them over your boots) works incredibly well as a prevention. In high tick areas I do also put a little DEET spray round the cuffs of my trousers and shirt (also helps stop midges going up there).

Sitting on a seat trather than the ground also seems to make a huge difference. A mate I go camping with regularly is always picking up ticks (and had Lyme disease a couple of years back). I rarely get one. The main difference is I take a chair with me, he lies about on the ground next to the fire.
    Bring back puttees - that's what I say!
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Many of the places I go camping and fishing have ticks. I have found that ALWAYS using gaitors regardless of how hot it is works well, along with trousers tucked into long socks and wearing long sleeves and keeping off the ground. Same with the midge, keep covered. I haven't found a repellant yet that works with the west coast midge!!! A smudge fire really helps with the midge if you can find some moss

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Not convinced about ultrasonic repellents... how many other species are sensitive to the same frequencies? ...what kind of noise pollution are these devices causing for other wildlife if you carry them whilst out and about in the countryside? What else are you going to disturb whilst using an ultrasonic repellent?
    I agree with all those concerns... they seem like a very bad idea in the open countryside. I have them in my loft spaces to deter (not kill) moths, wasps, rodents and any other creepy crawlies that I don't fancy sharing my home with and/or can cause costly damage.

Conversely, in the countryside, those same creepy crawlies are essential for biodiversity - given that we don't know what effect they might be having in the great outdoors, I think we should use ultrasonic devices only where appropriate.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

I do also put a little DEET spray round the cuffs of my trousers and shirt
    I do similar - but I use permethrin rather than DEET. You have to leave it a couple of hours before you wear them, but it lasts at least until the next wash, and it doesn't have the damaging effect that DEET can have on some fabrics.