Thread: Camp Bed

Default Camp Bed

Hi,

Just wondering what experience or opinions members have of camp beds? Positive or negative..all views welcome.

Thanks

I was given a Thermarest Cot, thanks to a prize through this very website. Its a really comfortable bed, and has added a lot of luxury to my canoe camping. However, it is ridiculously expensive to buy, and a bit of a faff. Its much lighter and smaller than traditional camp beds though.

There is a Far East copy that I've seen (link may not be exact same model), that others have got, that seems to do exactly the same job, but for much less money.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Does anyone know where to get the new Yahill model, to which Mel refers, in the UK? I can only find it via Amazon in the USA and there are significant shipping charges. Still makes it cheaper than the Thermarest version, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber1953 View Post
    Does anyone know where to get the new Yahill model, to which Mel refers, in the UK? I can only find it via Amazon in the USA and there are significant shipping charges. Still makes it cheaper than the Thermarest version, but not by much.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I334E...a-313972947294

Quote Originally Posted by Climber1953 View Post
    "
    If the works just found similar for 32 on amazon uk. If weight isn't an issue the Kampa slumber "PLUS" is wider than normal and with a nice wide self inflating mat on, its a real comfortable sleep.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LD8FV...c-df22a993e1da
    Last edited by terry. young; 7th-February-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks for the advice guys. The Amazon link covers the original model rather than the new design. The new one has different feet - there was some concern about the fragility of the original ones - and I think takes a higher weight! I am quite a big bloke!

I will look at the other ideas too.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

K

Sorry, just grabbed a link on the phone.

I know that Stewart of this site bought one in the last year or so, in the UK, maybe he'll notice this, or you could PM him.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Here is the 3rd gen one on Amazon Bed and 2nd gen Here

Many thanks Sirus. Looks like more gear on the way for me and a new season to look forward to.

K

I have one with the round feet and crossbars and it's really comfortable. There are a few on the market and I'm sure I didn't pay more than about 35. I guess it's not as good as the market leaders but it is quite serviceable. You do need to be sensible getting on and off, transfer your weight straight to the middle and don't sit on the edge or it will bend.

The great thing about these is that they keep you off the ground so you loose less heat. A mattress on top is also good

Seen but not tried Adrian's (above) but heard his enthusiasm first hand!!

I have one, the circle and bar system from LESHP (like Yahill) via Amazon and it works very well.
    I agree with Adrian that you need to be careful mounting and unmounting but once on it is very comfortable.
    I used it in very warm conditions to ensure I had a flow of air - mini hammock!

The problem with with most camp beds is they are made for short people so I either keep loosing the pillow off the head-end or my poor toesies are hanging off the other. :-(

I have an exped megamat10. Its not a campbed but it is 10cm thick so near enough. Its stupidly warm and comfortable. Its 195cm long by 76 wide so not small either.

The model that I have is no longer available but it may be worth considering the current ones?

A belated thanks to Grebby for suggesting a thicker sleeping mat rather than a camp bed. The Exped gear looks great but is in the Thermarest Cot league in terms of price. But that thought led me to an Alpkit Dozer. Alpkit have a lovely shop in Hathersage so I was able to test one out on the shop floor! At 7cm , it’s twice the thickness of my Thermarest and seems remarkably comfy. The price -59- seemed remarkable too. It’s a good length as well which may suit big yellow tractor.
    I have a Go Lite Shangri La tent and I was a little concerned that some camp beds would be too high and I would be at risk of touching the inner tent. A thicker sleeping pad seems a good compromise.

we shall see when I test it properly on the Wye in early April. Can’t wait.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and pointers.

They are a bit spendy. That said it's a pay once cry once thing. Well twice in my case as my wife then "needed" one as well.

Ours get used as spare beds for in the house too. My dad was heard muttering that it was more comfortable than his bed at home after visiting

One bit that got me was that the instructions say not to over inflate it as it won't be as comfortable, though it may be worthwhile inflating a bit more than normal if camping on ice

I have the Robens settler

[IMG]sett Flickr[/IMG]

and the Helinox Cot one

Both make for a great nights sleep

The Robens one packs down to a neat size about 18"x 12" x 3.5" is very easy to set up but is quite heavy, Good quality and if you shop around you can get it for about 50
    The Helinox bed is a longer thinner pack size, excellent quality, lighter and also easy to assemble but silly money, however money well spent if you have a back like mine.
    Whilst they both keep you off the ground I use a cheap foil insulating mattress underneath the bed (but on top of the legs) which works very well.
    Last edited by mayobren; 1st-March-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.