Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Cheap Jetboil style stove

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire
    Posts
    35

    Default Cheap Jetboil style stove

    I've just ordered one of these, a Chinese copy of the Jetboil, they get good reviews and there are a few YouTube videos comparing them favourably against a Jetboil. For £30 I thought it was worth trying.

    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPFMST...ystem---orange

  2. #2

    Default

    Alpkit also make a similar stove for about £34


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,487

    Default

    I nearly ordered one of these the other night; Alpkit stoves are indeed re-branded Fire-Maple. Decided against as I use my stove for frying just as much as boiling, but still quite tempted IF its as quick as the Jetboils. So do report back!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  4. #4

    Default

    Mal they are just the same as a jetboil except the one I have will simmer for cooking. And yes they are quick. The alpkit brukit (?) is a bit larger then the JB flash but just as quick.

    (Iím not sure I have the model names right)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Philosophical question.

    I'm all for a bargain, believe me. The cost of manufacturers' car parts for example is a bad joke.

    But there is a little niggle at the back of my mind that says something like, 'If you go on buying copies, Grizzle my lad, you undermine the original developers who invested financial and economic capital and a lot of hard graft in developing this product, only to see it reverse engineered and sold much cheaper. No costs, just profit.'

    But without pattern parts, where would my car be?

    As I said, a philosophical question.
    G

    'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Cheap Chinese copies are a fact of life now, especially in the electronics field. Hopefully Jetboil sold plenty while they had the market to themselves. I always liked the look of the Jetboil but would never spend £100 on another stove when I already have a few, £30 is pocket money though. I agree though that it must be frustrating to spend a lot of money developing and bringing a product to market, then be undercut by companies copying the idea.

  7. #7

    Default

    Also Alpkit are quite open about that they get theirs from a Chinese manufacturer
    And looking at theirs and the jetboil it looks to me it could be the same manufacturer??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Aldershot
    Posts
    534

    Default

    I have an Alpkit Brukit. It's good for a quick brew but IMHO these sort of things are a one trick pony. I'd rather wait an extra minute or two for hot water and have a stove that I can cook properly on.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    And yes they are quick. The alpkit brukit (?) is a bit larger then the JB flash but just as quick.
    Interesting that I was only speaking to Logger158 about his at the weekend. He was complaining about his Alpkit stove taking 5 to 10 minutes to boil enough for a cuppa compared to the Jetboil's 2mins so we compared it to my Jetboil and there were noticeable differences. I think the main one was that it used a similar sized burner but the heat sink on the base of the pot had less elements to it and they were spread out more so unable to transfer the heat as efficiently.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Interesting that I was only speaking to Logger158 about his at the weekend. He was complaining about his Alpkit stove taking 5 to 10 minutes to boil enough for a cuppa compared to the Jetboil's 2mins so we compared it to my Jetboil and there were noticeable differences. I think the main one was that it used a similar sized burner but the heat sink on the base of the pot had less elements to it and they were spread out more so unable to transfer the heat as efficiently.
    Some timings could come down to make/size/temperature of gas canisters. Iíve had differing results with different suppliers of gas (MSR, primus etc)

    IMHO I think they are all pretty much of a muchness. Iíve not owned a jetboil but have used one and seen them in use. And happy with the brukit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    22,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzle View Post
    Philosophical question.

    I'm all for a bargain, believe me. The cost of manufacturers' car parts for example is a bad joke.

    But there is a little niggle at the back of my mind that says something like, 'If you go on buying copies, Grizzle my lad, you undermine the original developers who invested financial and economic capital and a lot of hard graft in developing this product, only to see it reverse engineered and sold much cheaper. No costs, just profit.'

    But without pattern parts, where would my car be?

    As I said, a philosophical question.
    I know what you mean, and am torn on this. Especially as during my career as a buyer, at times we would simply be rebadging stuff so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to crusade against it. I do like to support the brands who do the innovation where possible, especially if I'm going to use it lots, and also believe that the original is still often the best (e.g Helinox chairs which are far pricier but seem to last forever despite very regular use). However, sometimes I can't justify the price.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Interesting that I was only speaking to Logger158 about his at the weekend. He was complaining about his Alpkit stove taking 5 to 10 minutes to boil enough for a cuppa compared to the Jetboil's 2mins so we compared it to my Jetboil and there were noticeable differences. I think the main one was that it used a similar sized burner but the heat sink on the base of the pot had less elements to it and they were spread out more so unable to transfer the heat as efficiently.
    Andy has said this since he bought it. I've always suspected the earlier ones as being less good, I know folk with later versions who've been perfectly happy with them. The quality of the burner unit is also not quite as good, and if this extends to the invisible parts, it would exacerbate any differences in the heat sink.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I have an Alpkit Brukit. It's good for a quick brew but IMHO these sort of things are a one trick pony. I'd rather wait an extra minute or two for hot water and have a stove that I can cook properly on.
    This is why I've still not got one, and have decided not to try the Fire Maple. The price was tempting me, but as with yesterday's lunch stop, its hardly taking me a long time to get a brew done with my current stove and pan set, which is pretty good. I just need to use the windbreak and then the speed of boiling is within a minute or two of a jetboil.

    I do like the Jetboil, its good at what it does, but I don't want to carry two stoves, or have to constantly chose which one to take! I shall simply continue to take advantage of the fact that Rob/Liz and Lynne/Darren always have one to hand that I can steal hot water from!


    Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    Some timings could come down to make/size/temperature of gas canisters. I’ve had differing results with different suppliers of gas (MSR, primus etc)

    IMHO I think they are all pretty much of a muchness. I’ve not owned a jetboil but have used one and seen them in use. And happy with the brukit
    I'm totally convinced that different gas brands perform differently. I will generally only use Primus or MSR, having found others like Coleman and GoGas to underperform as soon as conditions aren't perfect, or the gas is getting low in the cylinder.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

    Paddle Points - where to paddle

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    solihull, west mids
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I think there are some bits of kit which need to be good quality and reliable....tent, sleepingbag and stove are three of them. I have a jetboil and its superb. Used it hundreds of times paddling and mountaineering and its never let me down. Remember the old adage...buy cheap -buy twice.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North of England
    Posts
    71

    Default

    I have had an Alpkit stove since it came out and have found it great, no significant difference from the Jetboils my mates have in terms of performance. Sometimes cheap is as good, but it varies. Aldi and Lidl prove that. I had a dud Alpkit sleeping mat and wouln't be parted from my Thermarest now. So much Brand stuff is just that brand stuff. Look at what has happened to Karrimor. It use to be great, but the brand has been sold several times and has no relationship to the ethos and designs of the kit I worked hard to be able to buy when I was a teenager.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •