Thread: Large collapsible canoe trolley with 27 inch wheels

Default Large collapsible canoe trolley with 27 inch wheels

Large collapsible canoe trolley

I've been thinking of making something like this for a while and was stirred into action when I saw a nice set of quick-release wheelchair hubs on eBay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzue-WH-...-/253992725219

(They still three of these hubs left if anybody else wanted to build something similar)

I'm planning on attaching these to torsion box platform made of marine plywood. The axles will be mounted in hollow aluminium bar bolted to the inside edges of the torsion box
    https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk...um/square-tube

I've also picked up these rims
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tap...584-rim-black/

And tyres
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ro...-supergravity/

On top of the plywood platform between the wheels I will either have a closed cell foam cradle or a collapsible cradle with straps to support the hull

I ended up ordering four hubs so that I can have two large wheels and will eventually build up 2 smaller wheels which can more easily be transported flat inside the canoe

I have no connection with the eBay seller of the hubs but if anyone was interested in building a similar setup with 2 of the remaining hubs available on eBay I would be happy to help with drilling axle holes as it wouldn't take me much more effort with my pillar drill to make the appropriate holes in an extra length of aluminium bar for the axles to be bolted into

Hope this is of interest to someone

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Thanks Evan
    that's a nice idea, but 85 for a pair of hubs, 30 for rims and 66 for tyres, - that's over 180 pounds before I would even think about building the rest of the trolley. I would rather pay to import a Wike from Canada (I have no connection, just love the idea).

https://www.wicycle.com/products/bik...t-portage-cart - 197
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Thanks Evan
    that's a nice idea, but 85 for a pair of hubs, 30 for rims and 66 for tyres, - that's over 180 pounds before I would even think about building the rest of the trolley. I would rather pay to import a Wike from Canada (I have no connection, just love the idea).

https://www.wicycle.com/products/bik...t-portage-cart - 197
    Interesting to see that somebody has thought of a similar concept but I think I will prefer making my own which will be larger and modular with different sizes of wheels and frame for different boats.

Ewan

The larger pair of 27.5 inch wheels are finished

Photographed next to my dishwasher for scale

I have found that the axles conveniently slide completely out of the Hub which will make transporting and storing them more straightforward.

In time I'm hoping to build a smaller pair of wheels which can be fitted flat inside the canoe

Before building the trolley I just need to decide whether to have the platform that the canoe will rest on level with the axles above the axles or below the axles

These larger wheels weigh 2.35kg each which I'm fairly pleased with

Ewan

The trolly is going to end up more valuable than the canoe.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

A bit overkill for a general portage trolley admittedly but it will have a couple of other uses

I want to be able to move the canoe around with the sailing rig attached two masts, sails Lee board rudder etc. With small wheels and a long boat it's quite easy to hit the Rudder or the end of the boat off the ground

I'm also intending to be able to tow the canoe behind my bicycle

Ewan

Alternative is to nip down to one's local mountain bike repair shop and see what second hand slightly buckled or worn wheels can be picked up for just a few bob, plus worn tyres. Or have a son who leaves them lying around in the garage and shed...

Just need to solve the cheap wheel axle / lightweight beam sourcing now!

Philip,

How about using the wheels and stub axles off a bike trailer?

I picked up the complete trailer for 25, then just added 4 beech laminated bed slats (glued and screwed together) as the cross member. This gives the trolley a degree of suspension too.

Quote Originally Posted by philipoakley View Post
    Alternative is to nip down to one's local mountain bike repair shop and see what second hand slightly buckled or worn wheels can be picked up for just a few bob, plus worn tyres. Or have a son who leaves them lying around in the garage and shed...

Just need to solve the cheap wheel axle / lightweight beam sourcing now!

Definitely a neat design.

My original trolley was a cut up Silver-Cross pram frame with detachable wheels, again with a wood spacer bracing the ends of the axle. It fair took some hammer!

The one extra design feature I added was to tie two strings, one from each axle, which were then brought forward to the front grab handle and tied off with a half hitch slip knot, this meant that as I pulled on the grab handle the pulling forces were transferred directly to the wheels via the axle. The top strap was only for keeping it in position.

Having two strings meant that the forces were also equalised so the axle didn't swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by philipoakley View Post
    Definitely a neat design.

My original trolley was a cut up Silver-Cross pram frame with detachable wheels, again with a wood spacer bracing the ends of the axle. It fair took some hammer!

The one extra design feature I added was to tie two strings, one from each axle, which were then brought forward to the front grab handle and tied off with a half hitch slip knot, this meant that as I pulled on the grab handle the pulling forces were transferred directly to the wheels via the axle. The top strap was only for keeping it in position.

Having two strings meant that the forces were also equalised so the axle didn't swivel.
    Spot on, I found the same problem and used the front painter for the same purpose!

I curse the traditional trolley with diddy rigid plastic wheels that make a small pebble seem like a giant boulder, not to mention the narrow axles threatening to topple over.

Some springiness is a good point, reducing the unsprung weight with pneumatic tyres and a flexible frame will make a big difference to handling along along a rough track. Also the out board wheel will also help with stability.

It might be possible to salvage a bicycle suspension/shock unit to create trialling arm suspension?

If I can ride my push bike on a track like this one from a Moosehead blogg, it shouldn't be impossible to contrive a way to wheel a canoe along it. OK the first pic might be a bit tricky, but it should be easy to trolley along the track in second pic? The main hitch is that the canoe is rather wide... but not so wide on it's side

Last edited by Geodesic; 9th-May-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodesic View Post
    I curse the traditional trolley with diddy rigid plastic wheels that make a small pebble seem like a giant boulder, not to mention the narrow axles threatening to topple over.

Some springiness is a good point, reducing the unsprung weight with pneumatic tyres and a flexible frame will make a big difference to handling along along a rough track. Also the out board wheel will also help with stability.

It might be possible to salvage a bicycle suspension/shock unit to create trialling arm suspension?

If I can ride my push bike on a track like this one from a Moosehead blogg, it shouldn't be impossible to contrive a way to wheel a canoe along it. OK the first pic might be a bit tricky, but it should be easy to trolley along the track in second pic? The main hitch is that the canoe is rather wide... but not so wide on it's side
    Might not be as wide on its side, but definitely won't be as stable either! And getting a canoe stable on the trolley is very important.

Pneumatic tyres do make the ride better, but I have personally experienced (3 times) or heard of far too many dramatic punctures (often exploding through the outer tyre) to ever use them again on a remote trip.

Pushing a trolley on anything other than quite smooth surfaces is hard work. Yes it will roll on those tracks, but you will constantly be getting wheels knocked slightly off course by little stones, or them stopping all momentum, and it is likely to be quite slow going and frustrating.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Out of interest, why would a bike wheel on a canoe burst while the same type of wheel can take my 90kg body weight much faster down a steep rock strewn track? A bike at twice the walking speed of a canoe trolley is four times the energy. I'm curious what caused the blow outs.

Out of interest, why would a bike wheel on a canoe burst while the same type of wheel can take my 90kg body weight much faster down a steep rock strewn track? A bike at twice the walking speed of a canoe trolley is four times the energy. I'm curious what caused the blow outs.
    Sorry, talking about the standard pneumatic tyres. Bike wheel should be fine.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

And if one wanted to have ultimate durability, then tubeless would be the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by E_McNeill View Post
    Before building the trolley I just need to decide whether to have the platform that the canoe will rest on level with the axles above the axles or below the axle.
    On the axle. It'll be closer to your hand height, plus less likely for the opposite end to ground.

Here's someone going over some very big obstacles with a trolley. It's a kayak so lighter and shorter than a Prospector but you get the gist. That ridiculously wobbly axle allows the wheels to go up and down as if they part of an off-roading monster truck with extra long travel independent suspension.

In a second video the aloominum V suffered a fatigue failure so he switched to bent tube. I'll not embed that one, it's here -->> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQLydFbdy5M
    Last edited by Geodesic; 9th-May-2019 at 09:18 PM.