Thread: Paddling Perfection on Llynnau Mymbyr

Default Paddling Perfection on Llynnau Mymbyr

The iconic view of Snowdon and its outliers, is that from the east, from where the horseshoe of the most spectacular peaks are profiled at their best. Often, photos from this aspect have a beautiful lake as a foreground, and sometimes even a reflection. With the forecast one of clear skies, sunshine and no wind, albeit with rather low temperatures too, there was only one place in my mind as I planned a paddle to squeeze in before the 5 hour drive home. It didn't take much persuasion to convince Lynne either.

First though, we awoke to a cold morning, and a little frost on the tents and tarp. Conditions were just as stunning as promised, and it was hard to tear ourselves away from our riverside home, and its rather too friendly duck population.

Driving up the valley, we had to stop to gaze at the view of Snowdon from the roadside.

Just 15 minutes later, we were at a roadside layby above Llynnau Mymbyr's twin lakes, gazing at a perfectly still expanse of water. This was going to be good.

My canoe slipped out onto the water, the faint ripples from my movement the only thing stirring the surface.

First, we headed for the end of the lake by Plas y Brenin, the National Mountain Centre, paddling in the sunshine. I'd thought we'd stay in the sun on the near side of the lake first, then paddle the other side as the sun climbed over the hill. The only problem being that it was 12.30 by the time we started, and the sun was doing the opposite of rising!

After posing for a photographer, David, capturing the classic view, we turned up the cold side of the lake. That view kept calling the lens.

The two smallish lakes are linked by a smallish river. Fortunately, there was very little flow, and it was easy to paddle up into the upper lake, dodging a few hidden rocks.

The upper lake was cold, frost still clinging to the slopes to the south, and ice to the edges. It was a wonderful place, truly magical to experience on a day like that, in a place like that. The reflections were simply astounding.

The farm at Garth looks like a great, if sloping, campsite.

We crept round the western end, where the frost clad the reeds and the ice fringed the water.

It was time for lunch, and there was a handy beach opposite, which turned out to be an island. Lunch was a balanced diet of After Eights, Ferrero Rocher and blueberry muffins, washed down with tea.

The clouds were creeping over the sun as we set off again for the short return leg. The reflections were still remarkable.

Though we didn't want it to end, there was a long journey ahead, so we savoured our final paddle to the cars, back on the lower lake.

An amazing paddle, up there with the best short paddles ever.

A final bit of fun followed to end. The slope up to the cars was steep, and quite slippy. So I decided, in my wisdom, to faff about with throwline and pulleys to knock up a system, attached to my roof rack, to haul the canoe up. It worked, sort of, but maybe took a bit longer! Still, its good to practice these things, and I was glad I'd remembered how to set up a z-rig with prussiks pretty quickly.

And that was the end of a brilliant few days in North Wales.

Thanks, as always, to my companions; Chris and Nige, Lynne and Tobey, our campsite neighbours Gary and Angela, Ben and Mrs Ben, and to Darren for letting me kidnap his family once again, whilst he was stuck at work!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Bloomin' lovely - what a treat for the eyes!

Wonderful breakfast gawping Mal.....you do take some lovely photos.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

That seems a perfectly timed visit and amazing photographs

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gdd; 11th-January-2019 at 12:15 PM.

The pictures are outstanding but I think it may be the lunch that makes me most jealous
    John

Ash Vale, Surrey (by the Basingstoke Canal)

Fantastic conditions and photos, Mal. Properly jealous!
    Jim

Would have been there if it wasn't for bloomin' Christmas Tree Syndrome. (Google it). That's two years in a row now I've missed the new year trip.

The photos really do back up what you told me afterwards. Looks like a fabulous time.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

this should be in "Paddler"...….just beautiful....I can't keep saying that!!!! :-(

Wonderful photos in a lovely part of the world. I used to ride my motorbike up the Nant Peris valley from Llanberis and then over to Plas Y Brenin and then on down the Ogwen Valley (or the other way round depending on my mood.) I want to say that one of my favourite hills, Moel Siabod overlooks that lake?
    Last edited by bobt; 13th-January-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Terrific pictures - captured a still chill day, most envious.

i particularly like those frosty pic, they look great!

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianO View Post
    Bloomin' lovely - what a treat for the eyes!
    It was almost as good as a steak and stilton meal...which was what we had just after midnight on NYE thinking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    Wonderful breakfast gawping Mal.....you do take some lovely photos.
    Cheers Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdd View Post
    That seems a perfectly timed visit and amazing photographs

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    We were so lucky, but when I saw the forecast, I knew exactly where I wanted to go!

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    The pictures are outstanding but I think it may be the lunch that makes me most jealous
    Thanks boss. Probably a bit to healthy for a Scotsman though.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHou View Post
    Fantastic conditions and photos, Mal. Properly jealous!
    Jim
    Its not often its that good, but when it is, it stays in the mind forever. Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Would have been there if it wasn't for bloomin' Christmas Tree Syndrome. (Google it). That's two years in a row now I've missed the new year trip.

The photos really do back up what you told me afterwards. Looks like a fabulous time.
    Cancel Christmas then next year! Or buy an artificial tree I guess. Thanks Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    this should be in "Paddler"...….just beautiful....I can't keep saying that!!!! :-(
    Cheers Laurence. I am due to write another article sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Wonderful photos in a lovely part of the world. I used to ride my motorbike up the Nant Peris valley from Llanberis and then over to Plas Y Brenin and then on down the Ogwen Valley (or the other way round depending on my mood.) I want to say that one of my favourite hills, Moel Siabod overlooks that lake?
    Thanks Bob. You are spot on, the "colder" shore is the lower flank of Moel Siabod. As you say, a favourite hill; many think it looks dull but the other side of the hill is wonderful and the view from the top outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickout View Post
    Terrific pictures - captured a still chill day, most envious.
    Worth the wait through the previous windy few New Year trips!

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    i particularly like those frosty pic, they look great!
    Thanks, despite the chill, it was hard to pull ourselves away from just drifting next to the ice and frost, quietly sat on a mirror, surrounded by mountains.

Fabulous blog and stunning photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff as usual Mal.If you ask the farmer nicely at Garth he'll let you use the field at the back of the farm house.Drive to the bottom of the field and camp against the bottom wall where it's quite flat.Last time I camped there a bloody film crew turned up and spent most of the night filming in the river.

Amazing photography, just beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    Fabulous blog and stunning photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Great stuff as usual Mal.If you ask the farmer nicely at Garth he'll let you use the field at the back of the farm house.Drive to the bottom of the field and camp against the bottom wall where it's quite flat.Last time I camped there a bloody film crew turned up and spent most of the night filming in the river.
    Does look a nice spot, if a little exposed if the weather is Welsh! Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Owl Paddler View Post
    Amazing photography, just beautiful!
    Thank you. Couldn't go too far wrong in those conditions.

Stunning photos as usual. I'll have to buy a camera like yours
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    Stunning photos as usual. I'll have to buy a camera like yours
    Cheers David.

Just had a nose through your blog. Some very varied posts there, from ice climbing on the N Yorks Coast, to birdsong, via Drystone walling. Good stuff!

True paddle p0rn. The stuff of dreams.
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back.