Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burns Night Back on the Nene..Weekend 25-27th Jan....New Target!

Hi Bonarmbj, sorry not been able to pm you back, don't think I'll make this but if !!! the chance arises I may pop in for a cup of tea and chat. Regards to everyone and have a good un. All the best Terry ps Mark hope your keeping ya knife sharp

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Friday is not looking good for me at the moment, I have to be in Stratford-upon-Avon for a meeting in the afternoon which would mean a late arrival.

What is the plan for Saturday paddlers? Anyone got any thoughts?
    Hippo and I were aiming to leave Thrapston at 1130am - give or take 30 mins either way......I think Cankay was on a similar time frame - Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Confirming my attendance :-D

McBonar (Released!), (Fri to Sun)
    McMal (Fri to Sun)
    McKenny (Fri to Sun)
    McCruikshank (Fri to Sun?)
    McFran (Fri to Sun)
    McCankay McLurker (Sat/Sun)
    McPatterdale (Sat/Sun)
    McHippo (Sat/Sun?)
    McHemlock (Fri to Sun)
    McBootstrap (Fri to Sun?)
    McStewart (Fri to Sun)
    McSirus (Fri to Sun)
    McBobbingMcBen (Fri to Sun)

Will be sure to pack my peeler (*snigger*) .

Gird your loins Friday night judges because I don't think I have ever cooked anything resembling a successful campfire meal to date! How many judges are we catering for please?

Looking forward to it
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back.

Hi, I will be meeting Stewart and co later in the day on Friday as I have a few jobs to do before leaving. Can't wait to see you all on the nonexistent island.

All beginning to look good!....

McBonar (Released..with ankle tag!), (Fri to Sun) Departing Thrapston Fri AM
    McMal (Fri to Sun) Departing Thrapston Fri AM
    McKenny (Fri to Sun) Departing Thrapston Fri AM
    Mc Cruikshank (Fri to Sun?) Departing Thrapston Fri AM
    McFran (Fri to Sun) Departing Thrapston Fri AM
    McCankay McLurker (Sat/Sun) Departing Thrapston Sat AM/PM
    McPatterdale (Sat/Sun) Departing Thrapston Sat AM/PM
    McHippo (Sat/Sun?) Departing Thrapston Sat AM/PM
    McHemlock (Fri to Sun) Departing Thrapston Fri AM
    McBootstrap (Fri to Sun?) Departing Thrapston Sat AM/PM
    McStewart (Fri to Sun) Departing Thrapston Fri PM
    McSirus (Fri to Sun)
    Departing Thrapston Fri AM/PM
    Departing Thrapston Fri AM
    McLogger 158 (Fri-Sun)
    Departing Thrapston Fri PM

So, with that now done above, and it was painful! "Who's now going to be at the Bread Basket for Breakfast on Saturday morning?".... Please, please don't reply to this one!... If you walk through the door that morning, then I'll see you there OK..if not, then I'll see you down at the bridge... let's leave it at that!

Messages updates now for:

Terry Young:
    I'm keeping that knife that you gave me as sharp as a whistle, and it's now the best knife that I've ever owned....and this weekend it'll be used ceremoniously when they get tae the bit: "An cut you up wi' ready slight, Trenching your gushing entrails bright, Like onie ditch: And then , O what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"....It's taken me a while to get my head round this one, but I'm getting there slowly. As for the rest of the Bards work, it's gonna' take me a few more whiskeys yet! - If I see you in Thrapston on Friday morning, then the Egg Banjos are on me!

McBobbingMcBen : Re. "I don't think I have ever cooked anything resembling a successful campfire meal to date!" Man, you are so going to fit in with the rest of us.... (once again) !
    Don't worry about catering for the judges, and it so far looks like there's now some 14 on the list! All of which will be self-appointed that night! - You know how it goes, having judged one of these cook-off competitions before at Barrow... it's just ruthless, and you know it! (But it is a lot of fun though! )

McKenny & McFran: Are you guys still good to go with cullen Skink & Franachan for upto a max of 16? I can do for the Haggis Neaps & Tatties with Whisky Gravy & either a Whiskey Mac or Irn Bru cocktail for the same number, asking for 8 a head to cover costs.

Tae All the Noo! :
    Keep an eye on that weather forecast and be prepared to paddle with extra firewood!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

With the hours quickly ticking away for this trip, I've probably left this one too late.....but, being one that never says... Dai! (Especially when I'm in Wales! ) Does anybody here know where I might be able to find some Tartan serviettes? (Don't say Scotland!) ....This is an emergency!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Adjusting my dates below. Very much looking forward to this, but will have to arrive on the Saturday owing to various issues. Weather report is promising some 'weather', so looking forward to paddling some interesting high winds to get there and then working out whether to try hanging from trees as per usual in what look to be some reasonably high winds, or whether to bring my ground-dwelling sleep kit. Has anybody been to the island lately to see how wet the ground is for fixing pegs in the ground to hold tarps? How high fast is the river running? (I don't remember much rain lately, so hopefully not very ...)

Selkirk grace being practised.

McMal (Fri to Sun)
    McKenny (Fri to Sun)
    McCruikshank (Sat overnight)
    McFran (Fri to Sun)
    McPatterdale (Sat/Sun)
    McHippo (Sat/Sun?)
    McHemlock (Fri to Sun)
    McStewart (Fri to Sun)
    McSirus (Fri to Sun)

Looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    Has anybody been to the island lately to see how wet the ground is for fixing pegs in the ground to hold tarps? How high fast is the river running? (I don't remember much rain lately, so hopefully not very
    Hammocked there last week & stopped for lunch two days ago.....the ground has not been flooded yet this winter so is absolutely fine for pegs.

River levels are low and the current benign enough to paddle upstream in a packraft without issue.

A strong headwind is indeed forecast for the Sunday.....alternative, closer, finish points are available at Wadenhoe and at Lilford....Hippo and I will be leaving a car at Wadenhoe so if the wind is a bit too much for some we could give a few people a lift to Barnwell to retrieve cars left there.
    Last edited by Patterdale Paddler; 23rd-January-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

If anyone else is looking for a quicker/easier getaway on the Sunday and leaving a car at Wadenhoe can we buddy up during the Friday morning shuttle please? I don't want to wish the glorious event away, but a swift departure on the Sunday morning would allow me to salvage some of those all-important brownie points after abandoning the family to go and play...

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    Hammocked there last week & stopped for lunch two days ago.....the ground has not been flooded yet this winter so is absolutely fine for pegs.

River levels are low and the current benign enough to paddle upstream in a packraft without issue.

A strong headwind is indeed forecast for the Sunday.....alternative, closer, finish points are available at Wadenhoe and at Lilford....Hippo and I will be leaving a car at Wadenhoe so if the wind is a bit too much for some we could give a few people a lift to Barnwell to retrieve cars left there.
    That's great news. Thanks for the quick reply. Less good news is that having written a few hours ago that I'm looking forward to being there Saturday, since then, I left the house on my bike to tow the daughter to school and found my body had inexplicably aged 30 years and was refusing to get me over the hills. (Well I did make it to school and work, but I don't normally have to rest at the top of the bridge over the railway with my lungs complaining that they can't manage.) Anyway, contacted the GP and after a quick appointment was told I've a lung infection, am on antibiotics for a week and definitely shouldn't be trying to camp over the weekend.

Am very sorry to withdraw with such late notice and I hope you all have a fine old time. I'll be looking forward to reading all about it.

Mark, if there isn't a reserve waiting to step into my place for the meal, please let me know. I'd be delighted to send through my contribution anyway (can't have the littl'uns going to school without socks). The looking forward to it, and the reading about it later is well worth that much anyway. The meal itself, and the chef, is worth much more!

Look after yourselves, all.
    Ian

McMal (Fri to Sun)
    McKenny (Fri to Sun)
    <available space due to withdrawal> McCruikshank (unfit for service)
    McFran (Fri to Sun)
    McPatterdale (Sat/Sun)
    McHippo (Sat/Sun?)
    McHemlock (Fri to Sun)
    McStewart (Fri to Sun)
    McSirus (Fri to Sun)
    Last edited by idc; 23rd-January-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: error

McLogger tried to jump off the list, and we can't be having that...

Re-sorted, possibly, by arrival wave:

McGreedy fir it
    McBonar (Released!), (Fri am to Sun)
    McMal (Fri am to Sun)
    McKenny (Friam to Sun)
    McFran (Fri am to Sun)
    McHemlock (Fri am? to Sun)
    McBobbingMcBen (Fri am? to Sun)

McHungry-but-late
    McBootstrap (Fri pm to Sun?)
    McStewart (Fri pm to Sun)
    McSirus (Fri pm to Sun)
    McLogger 158 (Fri-Sun) Departing Thrapston Fri PM

Can't take the McMeals
    McPatterdale (Sat/Sun)
    McHippo (Sat/Sun?)

Cup of McTea and a chat
    Terry

Ian, sorry you won't make it, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

In other news, McLidl have run out of McLogs (in Notts anyway). Will be scouring the country whilst heading south tomorrow...

Is the bread basket meet up on Friday or Saturday? I'm going to get my fotrn membership sorted at oundle marina on Friday morning. Hopefully I can squeeze this into the shuttle to barnwell or I might miss the bacon butties. I phoned the fotrn and this an okay way to do it on the day.

I'm all set for up to 16 Cullen skink.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

ATB

McKenny
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by broadsman View Post
    Is the bread basket meet up on Friday or Saturday? I'm going to get my fotrn membership sorted at oundle marina on Friday morning. Hopefully I can squeeze this into the shuttle to barnwell or I might miss the bacon butties. I phoned the fotrn and this an okay way to do it on the day.

I'm all set for up to 16 Cullen skink.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

ATB

McKenny
    Mark will be there on the Fri am, I'm absolutely sure! Not sure I'll be quite so early, in fact I'm also absolutely sure I won't! Whether the Saturday crew will do similar, I don't know.

Just about all done and dusted now...with some 3.6kgs of Haggis now resting peacefully in the family fridge...Unfortunately there'll be no Tartan serviettes this year, but I will try a lot harder next year!

Spoke with The Patterdale Paddler today, our man on the ground - and it's looking good, it's looking very good!...Picturesque to say the least, with a recent dusting of snow!

Mc BobbingMc Ben: Totally understand, and very much sympathetic to your situation..and can get something sorted for you on Friday morning for a quick escape via Wadenhoe on Sunday..(With 'our man on the ground' Dick,once again leading the way! ) But, be aware of the backlashes, and consequences if you decide to judge the Friday Night Cookout entries/entrees too harshly....and then just leg it on Sunday, halfway to the medal presentation at Upper Barnwell lock....There'll be no tea & medals for you that day! (Though being the nice people that we are...we could always post them on to you - to save a marriage! )

IDC, (Ian)
    Sorry to hear that you can't make it, and please don't worry about sending any contributions, no worries fella!...From your above description it sounds like something that I've just been through, 'a nightmare cold' that wasn't really a cold - just a 21 day nightmare, that's all it was! I didn't get chance to get to the Docs' but if this is of any help...I boiled myself in the bath as many times as possible, with eucalyptus infusions, to help with breathing, whilst inducing a sweat and then wrapping-up tight, before a night of sweating it out under the duvet.... I can't really conclude that it worked for me, but it made me feel as if I was winning, and that was half the battle! - and sometimes that just works!

Mal Grey:
    The Medal of 'Just Being Outstanding' is now winging it's way to to you!

Broadsman:

Friday morning or Saturday morning breakfast at The Bread Basket....??
    Well spotted Robin. Confirming now that it will be Friday morning.. at 0900hrs to be precise..

Double Egg Banjo with Bacon and brown sauce and a steaming mug of hot coffee...with parking on the cobbles opposite...what's not to like!

Spot-on with the Cullen Skink!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 23rd-January-2019 at 11:22 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Mark, See you on the cobbles! I'll be on time, ship-shape and Bristol fashion. I'll need to miss the tea and medals on Sunday as it is the boys first rugby match, so I'm going leave early Sunday morning and do a bike shuttle from the bridge just upstream of pear tree island to my car in Thrapston.

Happy to shuttle people back from Barnwell on Friday if that helps? I need to get doon the marina for my camping pass anyway.

Broadsman

Will send tartan napkins with cankay.�� Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels666 View Post
    Beyond the call of duty! We will treasure them...

So, car sort of loaded (as in, not yet unloaded since last weekend), and some stuff bought for tomorrow night's McFeasting. Its no BigMac that's for sure...and will be somewhat experimental!

Schoolgirl skirt packed.

Doubt I'll make the Bread Basket, but you never know...still have to pick up a bit of spare booze and the logs...somewhat relying on Northampton Lidl, of which there are two, for both!

Just packing going to be curry and rice for dinner tomorrow if I can find my tins in the garage or it will be spam and rice. Also need to find logs on route.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Just packing going to be curry and rice for dinner tomorrow if I can find my tins in the garage or it will be spam and rice. Also need to find logs on route.
    I assume you'll be making it with Scotch Bonnet chillies to comply with the Cook Out rules. Or deep frying it, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels666 View Post
    I'm just lost for words! ....

In the meantime, please accept a massive THANK YOU!

Best now that I commission yet another 'Just Being Outstanding' medal before the press cools down...

With my very best regards, as always.
    Mark

With scant minutes now left before it's 'Lights out!' for me....

All above messages received loud & clear. No word recently from Mc Fran, but knowing this lass, there ain't much in this world that holds her back!

Recent weather forecasts now predict wet & very much windy nights, as opposed to 'nippy' ones....with 'much grinding of teeth' as we paddle out into 'a reet hoolie' on the Sunday. (Subject now to be discussed a little further around the campfire on Saturday evening, that's if we don't get flattened that night! )

"Last Scene on the Nene"....

What a great way to go!

Very much now looking forward to yet another Clan gathering....

Fi Bonar Mc B...

"Reet, that's it... lights oot! "

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I'm already in Northants. Drove up to the inlaws straight after cadets. See you in the morning.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    Hippo and I were aiming to leave Thrapston at 1130am - give or take 30 mins either way......I think Cankay was on a similar time frame - Dick
    Thanks Dick,
    I will aim to meet up with you guys around that time then.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Running a bit late but still planning to be at there before you have finished your butties!

I am indeed - planning on being at Thrapston 10:30(ish)am Sat. Memo to Jon: must start packing this evening ....

Have a great weekend all and we (Simon & Karen) will no doubt meet you when the weather is warmer.
    Simms ..

Have great weekend folks.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Lads, keep an eye out for Fran's hat!

May meet you on the way down.

Cook off was epic.

Hi all, thanks for a great 95% of the weekend. Am now home safe and sound.

G'day! Thanks all for a cracking weekend. Made it to the rugby but they finished early due to the cold weather.

See you all on the next one. I look forward to getting the band back together now we have secured a lead vocalist!

Robin

Looking forward to hearing about the other 5% then !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbing Ben View Post
    Hi all, thanks for a great 95% of the weekend. Am now home safe and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    Looking forward to hearing about the other 5% then !!
    Not sure you you are. Hope you're feeling better Ben.

Great weekend as usual.
    Thanks to Mark for the meal.
    Fran for the cranchen.
    Giggling Andy for the port and cheesy oat cakes.
    Dick and Terry for volunteering to shuttle everyone.
    Mal, Robin, John, Martin and Fran for the music and singing. Not sure the bagpipes count but the singing was top class.
    Thanks to everyone else for making the weekend a good one even though the weather was not so good.
    Looking forward to the bloggage.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Not sure you you are. Hope you're feeling better Ben.
    Haha, no I won't go in to detail, but my dinner has stayed down so I think it must just have been a 24hr bug. Mrs is now totally convinced these are simply booze cruises and I come away hungover each time :-/

Weather was pretty awful, but once again company, canoeing and food/drink more than made up for it. A nicer bunch of nutters I have yet to meet!

Friday's cook off was significantly improved due, in some part, to a total lack of spam....! Special thanks have to go to McBonar once again for going completely OTT and serving up a most excellent fare for us all on Saturday.

Whilst I might not have been present, the rousing songs from the campfire on Saturday were superb. I've never heard Mal so cheerful!

Thanks be to all!.

Really enjoyed the wimpy one nighter! Cuisine was simply awesome! 4 course dinner on an Island - many and humble thanks in order: Robin, Mark, Fran and Andy - (Robin, speaking of which, I settled up with Mark, but do I owe you anything for the every so tasty Cullen Skink?)

Terry, Dick: adding my thanks to Bootstraps for the shuttling!.

As with many of the great weekends, this one had: Some canoeing , top-notch company, delectable food, generously flowing and very tasty spirits, memorable weather, and a wee sing song. There have sometimes been a specifically notable epic musical(ish) rendition of a song at many of the events, that have somehow stood out in my memory, like the first time Kenny the Kangaroo joined the itinerary, and a group choral rendition of Delilah. I think from this weekend, I bow my head to Fran, for a singularly beautiful performance of Patricia The Stripper.

Should have some photos to add to bloggage one started, but many thanks once again to everyone!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Glad to hear you made it safely off the island. I'm guessing it was a bit of a slog downstream?

No need for extra funds for the Cullen Skink.

It was a very memorable weekend, in fact I'd stretch to life-affirming! Looking forward to the blogg.
    I'll put together a video for it.

Robin

Can I add my thanks to everyone for a fun weekend.
    Special mentions to:

Mark for the centrepiece feast

Dick for coming to our aid with emergency shuttle duties on Sunday

Ben for the brilliant Big Mac

Fran for knowing the all the words (and the tune) to Patricia The Stripper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Awesome weekend, one of the best, and hardest to recover from!

Many thanks to everybody, basically!

Will start sorting photos tonight, hopefully I have one of every one of the 9 meals on Friday and 4 courses on Saturday...

Totally superb weekend, thank you to all of you for making it superb.
    The wind on the way home managed to move the canoe within 2 miles so I had re strap it and had a very slow drive for 100 miles.

Outstanding weekend - thanks one and all for your company, food, music and alcohol.
    I promise to do something about the bagpipes before next year!!!!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Outstanding weekend - thanks one and all for your company, food, music and alcohol.
    I promise to do something about the bagpipes before next year!!!!
    Fran, your hat is visible in photos in the first lock...

A week-end that most definitely was! ....
    With thanks now to you all that 'braved the elephants' this week-end, and the effort that you all put in....my Bonnet's off to you guys!

With so so many special moments, within such as short period of time, I'm finding it hard now to summarise the weekend all within a few words....So, I'll leave it to a bloggager with 'a few' pictures to boot....as those pictures will save me a thousand (misspelled) words, no doubt!

For me it was a great weekend..and the Friday night cookout was just something to behold!

With the likes of 'Bilberry Mc Bambi with Thyme and Juniper Bannock'...followed by Mary Queen of Scots Baked Camembert with Garlic Bread.....and then Bobbing Mc Ben's BIg Mac Burgers....as Mckenney pereservered with his Haggis Scotch Quails Eggs....What a night! (...and I haven't even yet mentioned Stewarts Tempura deep-fried Mars Bar.....and all the other super entries! )

A great effort by all!

Fi Bonar Mc B

Mc Logger 158: If yer' happy tae PM me yer name and address , I'd like tae remunerate ye' fae the Cheese & Port Jamsie Boy!
    (..and of course, please pass on my best regards 'tae yer man, Mc Morrison' fae the procurement! )
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-January-2019 at 09:58 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Photos are just uploading, but the blog will have to wait a day or so.

For now, I'll just leave you with these couple

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Fran, your hat is visible in photos in the first lock...

D'oh
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12