Thread: A day paddle with overnight kit.

Default A day paddle with overnight kit.

Usually I get a chance for an overnight trip or two during the Christmas break. For a couple of reasons that wasn’t an option this year. Still I did have time for at least one day paddle.

The plan was a trip on Loch Lomond. Ginger Snr and one of the Ginger Jnrs would be joining me along with a non SotP friend and his collie, Flora. Flora was applying to join Sam and Marlowe’s canoe dog gang.

I also had the Hobart swag / bedroll with me as I need some more pictures for an upcoming review. It’s easier to get pictures in the day than it is in the dark and you are actually using it so a few extra pictures are handy.

As is the norm for a Loch Lomond trip we launched at Balmaha. It was overcast but flat calm. The forecast was to stay dry with winds no more than 5mph. Flora was immediately very settled in the canoe.

We headed out of the bay / harbour and up the north side of Inchcailloch. It was still calm and the dogs continued to pose for the camera.

Sometimes Flora would go for the sultry over the shoulder look.

Other times the deep in thought looking off into the distance look.

It was calm all the way round the side of Inchcailloch.

Near the end of the island we started to get some waves and the wind built a little. We landed at the campsite for a quick look around, to let the dogs play and of course to eat some provisions.

We launched again and headed up the side of Torrinch. The wind had increased considerably and we were getting some fair sized waves. Unexpected but nothing of concern.

We also landed on Torrinch. I’m looking to find a new campsite on the island since my reliable spot on Clairinish is getting trashed by other “campers”. There were some options but none that had the all weather options of my previous fall back spot.

We paddled in to Creinch. There are plenty of camping spots here but it is not a great island to get to or from if it is windy. Today that wasn’t an issue and we were only here for lunch. Robbie started food prep.

I got some pictures with the bedroll, with the dogs helping out too, of course.

Then it was time for eating. Well eating for humans, begging time for dogs.

After the food the dogs had a play. Well Sam and Marlowe did. Depending how you look at it Flora either tried to join in or was refereeing the encounter. I’ve got a video of this but Tapatalk won’t let me add it for some reason.

On the way back from Creinch the waves had got a little lively, especially on the crossing to Torrinch where it was had to avoid being side on to them. Still it was not too bad but not a time to take pictures. We went to Clairinish to have a look at our old camp spot to see how it was recovering from its most recent abuse. It was fortunately recovering a bit and not looking as bad as the last time I was there. Probably due to the winter weather.

From here it was just a short paddle back to Balmaha.

Not a long day out on the water but a good mix of paddling and a bit of island exploring. Really looking forward to an overnight trip but know it will be at least into February before thre is any chance of a gap in the diary.
    John

Looks like you all had a grand day out. The bedroll looks warm and cosy

Thanks for sharing,

Fred

I do love these trips of yours, and its very obvious the dogs do too.

Saw the vid on Facebook, Flora was definitely trying hard to be part of the gang, but the boys seemed a bit too busy to notice, despite her stick offering.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I spotted this on facebook recently:
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...5TsGXfZuFSRP8c
    The guy has clearly been practising camping somewhere not too far out of Glasgow - do you think it might be one of the semi-permanent camps you were talking about the other day?

How hard can it be?

Bed roll looks interesting......beautiful paddle too.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    The guy has clearly been practising camping somewhere not too far out of Glasgow - do you think it might be one of the semi-permanent camps you were talking about the other day?
    After reading the article I’m not sure that guy has camped anywhere. I’m wondering how he is going to carry this store of canned food into the far remote wilderness, through the streets full of rioters. Still he has a “bushcraft knife” and even an axe so sounds like he properly hardcore
    John

Awesome, just awesome.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 9th-January-2019 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Delete whole post quote

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    After reading the article I’m not sure that guy has camped anywhere. I’m wondering how he is going to carry this store of canned food into the far remote wilderness, through the streets full of rioters. Still he has a “bushcraft knife” and even an axe so sounds like he properly hardcore
    Yeah, I have to admit the axe thing got me worried, I am probably the only paddler I know who doesn't own an axe (prefer saws and rarely have anything to split), which means I won't survive!

How hard can it be?

Looks stunning! Have you overnighted on that island.

I just hope be bought a tin opener !

I like canoes ......

That was laugh a minute reading! He said he’d got two weeks of food stockpiled, I have enough in the house normally for probably a month!

BTW, looked a nice trip John.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by WSB View Post
    Looks stunning! Have you overnighted on that island.
    Quite a few times. Most recent blogg when we spent the first night on that island is here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nd-and-comfort

And an earlier two night trip on that island from earlier in the year.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-One-Dog-Blogg
    John

i too saw this somewhere ... priceless ....

His stockpiling has seen Mark amass two weeks' worth of tinned and frozen food”

Can’t wait to see him with his frozen food and an air rifle looking for squirrels in NW Scotland. I assume the forecast is cold for the end of March ?
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quite a few times. Most recent blogg when we spent the first night on that island is here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nd-and-comfort

And an earlier two night trip on that island from earlier in the year.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-One-Dog-Blogg
    Fantastic bloggs, brilliant pics. My mates often say when I go wild camping, why do I do it, the answer as someone has eluded too is that if you have to ask then you will never understand.

ive been wildcamping for awhile now,so wish I had combined the kayak and the camping ages ago. After just one combined trip to date, I can’t wait until the next one. At 54 I’m going to cram in as many as I can,subject to “head office approval !”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    i too saw this somewhere ... priceless ....

Can’t wait to see him with his frozen food and an air rifle looking for squirrels in NW Scotland. I assume the forecast is cold for the end of March ?
    As I understand it, he has chosen tinned and FROZEN food because he thinks rioters will take the POWER OUT.

Maybe he has actually thought it through? He can buy the house my dad is trying to sell in the NW (daft place to retire to, took him a few years to realise it) - it has a generator to run the freezers whenever there is power cut (they get a few every year, it is quite remote)!

How hard can it be?

Has he now not left it a little late to build his bunker, in time for Brexitgeddon? How does he plan to kill deer with his "RamboAir Rifle"...….?

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Has he now not left it a little late to build his bunker, in time for Brexitgeddon? How does he plan to kill deer with his "RamboAir Rifle"...….?
    You don't need a rifle to hunt deer in the NW of Scotland, just go out in the car after dark. It can be expensive on cars, and bad for your own health as well as the deer's.

How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post

I can't help feeling that his collection of canned food looks suspiciously like the food bank I help out at.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

You don't need a rifle to hunt deer in the NW of Scotland, just go out in the car after dark. It can be expensive on cars, and bad for your own health as well as the deer's.
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Indeed, same here!!! I found my ambulance was pretty good!!!

about the same here too but you can add wild boar to that too
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

" ... Mark is single and has no children ... "

Why am I not surprised?

Like Mark, I also intend to escape the rioting
    hoi-polloi in the far North-West in the post-Brexit omnishambles.

Unlike Mark, I'll have triple-glazing and be within delivery distance of the incomparable Sanna Spice, the most-Westerly curry house on the mainland

PS I wish we had a few less deer and a few more sanglier

David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach

The bedroll looks huge..? But comfy. Would love to do a wild camping trip in Scotland at some point. Great photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m hoping to get out with it on a proper trip this weekend for some more pictures then writing up the full review. Only fly in the ointment being I’ve just come down with a really bad cough and am shivering uncontrollably quite a bit. Not necessarily the best condition for an overnight trip with -3 temps predicted.
    John

Yeah not a good start for a bedroll review, that area where you paddled would you say a good place for a fairly newish paddler to experience a Scottish wild canoe camp.?

Almost all of the islands on Loch Lomond. I recommend launching from Balmaha as it has shelter from most of the winds at least for the nearest islands. Inchcailloch has a camp site on it that is still wild and so far empty during winter. Torrinch, Creinch and Clairinish all have good spots. Creinch can be a bit exposed if it is windy and you need to get back.
    John

Almost all of the islands on Loch Lomond. I recommend launching from Balmaha as it has shelter from most of the winds at least for the nearest islands. Inchcailloch has a camp site on it that is still wild and so far empty during winter. Torrinch, Creinch and Clairinish all have good spots. Creinch can be a bit exposed if it is windy and you need to get back.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    The bedroll looks huge..? But comfy. Would love to do a wild camping trip in Scotland at some point. Great photos.

Dunno what bedroll? But for fun, if you want a bedroll and it is huge and heavy, check out the "Czech Army Officers Bag" on MM. I have one of these (for fun) it is cotton wad with duffle coat fastening,...very warm and comfy......but just massive, lol!