Thread: uploading photos

Default uploading photos

Gentlemen/Ladies
    Worosei is pulling out the remnants of a much threadbare scalp attempting to discern the method by which photographs are posted on SOTP, is this arcane or esoteric practice?
    any/all/suggestions/info on this topic would be much appreciated, as i have found my recent trip to possibly contain much useful info regarding any subsequent cross Europe navigation
    Tally ho
    Worosei

I think it works like this:

If you are a contributing member then you click the 'Insert picture' icon (3rd from the right) and see a choice - browse to the image on your computer, upload it to SOTP and display it in your post. Alternatively, if the photo is hosted elsewhere, paste in the url (as described below). However, uploading to SOTP costs the site in storage space, so it's only available to contributing members.

Non-contributing members only have the url option, ie, host the picture on the web (I rent some server space but most use a public photo sharing site like Flickr, not sure it works on Google and I wouldn't trust Photobucket), copy the url of the picture (not the page it's on), click the insert picture icon and paste in the url. If you use Flickr, it may insert some extraneous text which you can delete if you want to.

Mr Chris
    A comprehensive and thorough explanation many thanks!,no questions forthcoming as i think you covered all the bases
    worosei

I use Tapatalk on my phone which will also allow the posting of pictures.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Tapatalk is an easy solution. Contributing Members can upload some pictures but it does not work very well currently so I would not recommend paying for this service alone as it’s patchy at best
    John

Some feedback on the upload; it works well for small file sizes, I reduce the image to 1000px wide which means it's only 150kB or so. But there is a problem if writing a blog - I posted 3 photos averaging 150kB, and when I came to post the fourth I had exceeded my quota, which I infer must be 500kB. So I quickly uploaded the rest to my own webspace and linked them from there - which is not a problem, I have 500Mb there and only try to host on the site because I think it makes it less likely that the blog will lose its images if I lose that hosted space. I understand all the issues about the cost of server space and I know, John, that you're aware it doesn't work reliably, so this is really just a bit of feedback on the circumstances where it doesn't work.

Edit - I've also spotted that the uploaded images only show if you're logged in
    Last edited by Chris_B; 23rd-February-2019 at 01:28 PM.

We’ve actually still got to get the uploading sorted. We need to add some software to the server to allow it to resize pictures from large files otherwise it is not that useful for most members. Once we get that working we will need to then adjust the size settings to allow people to upload plenty of pictures in a blogg. Currently we (really Ounce) are working on the security certificate for the site.
    John

Thanks, John, and Ounce. All those things sound useful.