Thread: Heading to Norfolk

Default Heading to Norfolk

Hi there!

I (we) are moving to Norfolk from Devon. I did a lot of kayaking in my youth but just before Christmas bought my first canoe (a Hou Prospector, not perfect for the flat of the Broads according the the reviews on here but I got a good deal and am excited!). We are my wife and three kids (4 1/2, 3 and 5 months).

I've had a look at clubs in the area, there seems to be a racing club in Norwich and two canoe clubs, one in Norwich and one in Bungay. Thinking of trying them all out to see which is the best fit. Are any of their members on here?

Really excited about getting on and exploring the Broads in a canoe, kayak or SUP. My wife bought me guide book for Christmas, has anyone got any favourite spots they'd be willing to share, either for me on my own, or for getting the family out on the water?

Hope to see you on the water.

Mike

Your heading to a good place! I see no reason why a prospector would not be good on the broads!, I have no experience of bungy club, but it is a good spot, right beside the Waveney, which is a lovely , three and back , stretch of river, also check out river ant, all lovely , maybe see you around, hoping to relocate there myself in the next few years

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

We escaped to Norfolk at the end of Augusts and are now ensconced at the southern edge in the Thetford Forest. There are numerous great paddling opportunities on your door step.

The Waveney at Bungay, The Little Ouse (Thetford through to Brandon & beyond), the whispering Wissey and of course the Broads.

Join the OCA and come along to one of the several canoe/camp meets which we hold and base out of Barton Turf Adventure Centre. You will get to paddle and explore the Broads and meet other likeminded folk; always an enjoyable event (weather permitting!).

Nick
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Welcome to Norfolk. Lots of nice paddling to be had. Horstead Mill to Buxton on the Bure is also a nice trip away from the broads cruisers.

I'm southeast of Norwich close to the Yare. Maybe see you on the water. My prospector is happy on the broads but suffers from windage. It normally blames the dog...

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Hello and Welcome!

You've already found some of the Norfolk contingent posting above. Also, have a look on Paddlepoints for ideas.

The Prospector will be fine. As mentioned, they're not as good in wind as some, but technique, and especially trim, will allow paddles on all but the worst of windy days. And it will do pretty much everything else you ask of it, especially when it comes to carrying more gear than you knew you "needed" to enjoy luxury wild glamping to its best
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. Really excited about trying out the prospector and exploring some new places.
    Will have a look at the OCA and just had a brief look at Paddlepoints - not heard of it before, it looks great.
    Broadsman, we're going to be renting in Poringland to start with so may see you on the water!
    Happy paddling

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk bound View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and the tips. Really excited about trying out the prospector and exploring some new places.
    Will have a look at the OCA and just had a brief look at Paddlepoints - not heard of it before, it looks great.
    Broadsman, we're going to be renting in Poringland to start with so may see you on the water!
    Happy paddling
    Can only agree with everyone else as this area is local to me (ex pat Cornishman).would also add the Stour and Blackwater/Chelmer Navigation......both delightful.
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk bound View Post
    Happy paddling
    Nice one! Very local then, I cycled through Poringland on my way to work this morning! I'm in Claxton. I think I picked up from another thread you've got kids that are keen to paddle too? Mine are 5 and 7 years old and have been afloat since about 6 months old. We got the kids wooden paddles last year for xmas from Norfolk marine and they love having there own ones and occasionally dip them in. A good family friendly paddle is from Beccles to the Locks Inn at Geldeston. Nice paddle and a superb pub. Drop me a PM if you want to meet up sometime.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Robin - sent you a pm