Thread: GoPro Canoeing Videos - mounting camera, editing, sound, length

Default GoPro Canoeing Videos - mounting camera, editing, sound, length

Hi all,

Any suggesting/tips on videoing canoe trips. I know that a video is meant to tell a story but most of my paddles - there is no story. Its normally just a bunch of friends paddling/drifting down a river chatting about "stuff". I took almost 4 hours of footage from a canoe trip in the summer so trying to cut it down a little. Would there be value in uploading the entire 4 hours? Users could potentially skip to a section of a river they are interested in using the forward/backward video controls. On the other hand, it will take a long time to process/upload it to youtube.

Here is a clip from my favourite stretch of the River Wey ...

https://youtu.be/dRBOR0L05Gg

Interested to know what people think about putting music on videos? For me the sounds of birds / trees / wind / water is a big part of canoeing. The only reason i would put music on as a backing track is to hide my annoying voice . How do people record sound? My Gopro does not pick up sound very well in the waterproof housing so i am considering investing in an external microphone / recording device.

Mounts: I normally mount the camera on my head but am keen to try different position . I have tried mounting the camera on my canoe but you always end up with the river at an angle which does not look good.

I would be interested to know what folks think.

cheers

Maj

Hah, you already know my thoughts! Edit, edit, edit, cut, cut, cut!

Sadly, just sitting in a canoe has limited interest, even for avid paddlers, if its the same shot all the time. It can be quite relaxing, but doesn't hold attention for long.

Have a look at Ade's video from our Inverpolly trip, that I consider one of the best amateur edits from trips I've been on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJw76F41cE

See how short each shot is? Couple of seconds. And how varied the camera positions are, plus a good mix of action, still, detail and people shots. For this type of "adventure" video I think a soundtrack works, but there are some short bits where fading out the sound to allow conversations or natural noises to come through, is good.

For a more "natural world" rather than "adventure" approach, Bandy's videos are really good. Again, lots of different angles. Rob's music is much gentler (some of its is his own), and he also does commentary and sections with just the sounds of the river and the wilds.

Loch Shiel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSunMT_j4AA

with added drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc8pUWhu5m8

Our Lelangen trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40cFjRVytfY Good mix of soundtrack, talking, silence.

BobT has posted some good stuff, both his own trips, and some from film makers he enjoys.

Have a good session watching all the other paddling videos on SOTP, you're bound to pick up tips. The recent video competition would be a good starting point.

At the end of the day, you will come up with your own style

A while ago, I decided that writing and photography was my thing, and that editing and producing videos was far too much like hard work for me! However, the photographer and general observer in me has noticed how these guys have developed an "eye" for a shot, a little detail, a wide angle v close up that, whilst different than my photography, is a similar thought process. Always looking for the little extras that make a difference, and also for certain compositions. Video composition is different to photos, but still needs thought; e.g. a canoe crossing the shot, rather than the camera following the canoe, makes for a more effective shot sometimes and breaks up the monotony. And I'd say filming for a few seconds at a time is far better than filming for an hour then trying to pick out the best bits. And saves the battery...

Just a few thoughts. Enjoyed watching those videos again!

Edit: one final thought; the video need not be in exactly the same order that the shots were filmed in.
    Last edited by Mal Grey; 27th-December-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I’m no editing expert but have been trying to gather tips on this for when I eventually start filming more. As Mal says the secret seems to be in editing it to keep it interesting. The phrase I’ve heard is for each scene, “arrive late and leave early”. I think it’s the same principal as killing your babies when editing a book. If you do not feel you are cutting out good stuff you are not cutting deep enough.
    John

Headcam footage is boring. Ray Goodwin has done some good stuff with a selfie stick. Break up action with talking, tech stuff etc, any talking.

Short clips are easier to edit, are quicker to upload too. Trawling through long recordings for a good bit is a real pain.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Stick to simple consistent transitioning between scenes. You can put the very occasional different or fancy one in but only for a very special scene.
    once you have a cut done, leave it for a few days then look again and probably cut down again. Get someone else to look at it before publishing, fresh eyes will see something you’ve glossed over.
    KISS principle every time, take lots of shots to work with.

I’m a novice go pro user, on an inflatable how does it attach safely, I could work it out for a rigid vessel but I’m struggling with the inflatable option..is there a bespoke stand/ fixing? Thanks in advance..

Quote Originally Posted by WSB View Post
    I’m a novice go pro user, on an inflatable how does it attach safely, I could work it out for a rigid vessel but I’m struggling with the inflatable option..is there a bespoke stand/ fixing? Thanks in advance..
    I have used a gorilla pod before and stuck it using cloth/gaffa tape.

If your inflatable has a cloth fabric type outer this may not work. What inflatable do you have?

Maj

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    I have used a gorilla pod before and stuck it using cloth/gaffa tape.

If your inflatable has a cloth fabric type outer this may not work. What inflatable do you have?

Maj
    Hi Maj

thanks for the interest..

Sevylor Madison 2018 model, I'm trying not to use the go-pro as a head cam for the reasons stated above - just want it on the front/side - it is more for a record of my trip not as something I want to show professionally .

cheers

I think that all of the above advice is correct. Do not simply press the "on" button and then film for four hours. Most shots are only seconds long and the "tempo" of your video will dictate how you do this but try to be consistent i.e If you go for 3 second shots then keep this timing for the sequence.

I would counsel against narrating your own video unless you have a voice and style that works. I hate the sound of my own voice so you will never hear it on one of my vids. I like trying to match good, professional music with scenes but I do realise that this means that it doesn't work for some people as my musical tastes aren't everyone's.

Go onto the Adobe Premier pro tutorials and you will get some excellent tips on editing. In the end your first go at it will not be your best.

If you want the best example of editing, narrative, music, film and sound quality then look at Jason Irwine's Tumblehome youtube site.

A friend of mine made some videos of sea kayak trip in Greenland - all amateur, hand held camera and a bit of GoPro - typically with the GoPro on a stick poked through a block of foam tied to the boat. He published it on YouTube as six 5minute episodes - here's a link to Episode 1. (You can find the other Episodes on his YouTube channel, link below the video). When put together as a half hour film, it was shortlisted and shown at the Kendal Film Festival, so he must have got something right. There is music, but it's not continuous, and it matches the mood (some just seem to be the vido maker's favourite songs).

So, in no way am I suggesting any level of expertise but here are a few examples which might highlight some differences:

The following two vids are exactly the same except one has music and the other doesn't. I prefer the one with music and many prefer the "natural" version:

Then there's these two. The film ws edited to match the pace of the music in the Vimeo version but unfortunately you tube blocked that music so a did a second version for you tube with different music which is slightly off pace.

https://vimeo.com/manage/308628464/general

Blocking copyrighted materials (like the musical score behind a lot of amateur videos) is getting more common every day, with the big music companies putting pressure on the hosting sites and especially with the recent upload filter vote in EU parliament.
    Song of the Paddle might be a co.uk website, but the video hosting sites will be "elsewhere" and might not accept your video upload anymore if it contains music or will seemingly randomly decide not to serve a video to random parts of the world (like what a few members on here noticed with the video from bobt).

Requesting the rights to use a piece of music from the copyright owner is a pain in the for any individual, but it's also annoying if your video gets blocked. If you want to use music and be safe on the copyrights you could try to find suitable music with a "creative commons" license: https://creativecommons.org/about/pr...usicforvideos/

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    So, in no way am I suggesting any level of expertise but here are a few examples which might highlight some differences:

The following two vids are exactly the same except one has music and the other doesn't. I prefer the one with music and many prefer the "natural" version:

BobT, i like both. Have you considered a hybrid? so have music as background music with the natural sound given priority. Maj

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Blocking copyrighted materials (like the musical score behind a lot of amateur videos) is getting more common every day, with the big music companies putting pressure on the hosting sites and especially with the recent upload filter vote in EU parliament.
    Song of the Paddle might be a co.uk website, but the video hosting sites will be "elsewhere" and might not accept your video upload anymore if it contains music or will seemingly randomly decide not to serve a video to random parts of the world (like what a few members on here noticed with the video from bobt).

Requesting the rights to use a piece of music from the copyright owner is a pain in the for any individual, but it's also annoying if your video gets blocked. If you want to use music and be safe on the copyrights you could try to find suitable music with a "creative commons" license: https://creativecommons.org/about/pr...usicforvideos/
    I want to say that it actually depends on the individual piece of music and YouTube will list what the restrictions are. It doesn't seem to be consistent on any level. Trawling through the free music sites is a real pain because you have to listen to an awful lot of sh** before you find stuff worth using.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    BobT, i like both. Have you considered a hybrid? so have music as background music with the natural sound given priority. Maj
    Thanks. I did that a little with the music version (you can still hear the geese) but I agree that I could do a little more fading in and out. In the end it is all a learning experience and the skill certainly takes time to develop.

Camera mounting ... I've tried a helmet mount and didn't like it. My Minuet has 3 fixed Go-Pro cloned mounts - both end plates and one on the off-side gunwale within reaching distance, with a slight stretch. The cameras I tend to use are of the Ion Air Pro series, I've now collected a few, or a Nikon Keymission 360 & 170.

My latest camera mount/mast is an adapted old kayak shaft approx 4 ft long plugged and sealed at both ends, a screw-threaded camera mount is permenantly fixed at one end and it usually has one or two "cycle handlebar" camera mounts clamped at one height or another along it's length. It's a sealed tube and I've tested it, it floats It was initially intended to drop into the "sailing mast" thwart on my Minuet and it works well like that, it can be used hand held to get the camera(s) into difficult to get to places. I've made a drilled foam block attached to a thick foam mat which I can just push in place in nearly any other canoe to use it without any other adaptions. Rotating the mast is an easy way to pan the camera to whatever view is of most interest at the time.
    Editing is my biggest problem and does anyone know an easy(ish) way of greying out/pixellating car number plates etc ... Youtube Studio is supposed to be able to do this in post-upload editing but it's not working for me
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Editing is my biggest problem and does anyone know an easy(ish) way of greying out/pixellating car number plates etc ... Youtube Studio is supposed to be able to do this in post-upload editing but it's not working for me
    Bernie used a blurred area for that in his latest video. See this thread.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Bernie used a blurred area for that in his latest video. See this thread.
    Thanks Alan, I tried something like that and it sort of worked until I encoded the final video and found I'd not got it quite right ... if you try to hide something and fail it just emphasizes the thing you were trying to hide, so cut & cut again ... more editing playtime needed ... I also need to clean that spot off the lens
    Camera Ion Air Pro 3 ...

Last edited by Potty Paddler; 30th-May-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Fading things out is very easy in Davinci Resolve... Free software aswell

Testing my slot in camera mounting mast ... it fits in a 17ft Prospector, 16ft Explorer, 13ft Minuet and a 6ft beer cooler ... the trouble with the beer cooler is now how do I get in?

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I'd be a bit worried that I'd tip the centre of gravity with that thing :-)