Thread: SOT Kayak: Can a double leeboard emulate a pair of outriggers (stabilizers)?

Default SOT Kayak: Can a double leeboard emulate a pair of outriggers (stabilizers)?

HI all

Here's my introduction;

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...lo-from-Brazil

I found this forum 5 years ago, when I wished to build a Canadian canoe. (Now I decided that I, in my situation, would be best served acquiring a small yak)

My yak model:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...bDebDXlfSMM-bV

And here's my 1 question:

I got a kayak and I want to rig it so I can stand up fishing

Like all, I started to search for stabilizers (outriggers), both single and doubles.

After some search, I found some nice designs but I concluded that I don't want something so big protruding from my small yak since it is something that goes against my philosophy of keeping things small.

Im a minimalist guy and i try to stay as small as possible (so I can travel longer)

But I still would like to stabilize my yak.

So I stumble upon this: (a retractable sailing leeboard)

https://i.imgflip.com/2pgy9z.jpg

Well this seems small enough for me.

But since I doesn't understand about stabilizers, I came here to ask:

- would something like this double retractable leeboard be sufficient to act or at least properly emulate floating aparted outriggers, permitting someone to stand up fishing ?

Or I will have to search more for a properly aparted double outriggers?

(I'm 1.86m and 100kg)

Thanks you all!

Atb
    Cheers

Use a cam strap and an inflatable paddle float to turn your paddle into an outrigger. If you have a spare collapsible paddle as well, like sea kayakers take, you could rig one each side. Quick to rig, easily removable and lightweight.

No, there is not enough flotation in the leeboards, to keep the boat from tipping over.
    I hope this was not a joke.

To stabilise a kayak using floatation you either need a long outrigger with a small float or a big float next to the kayak. Leeboards could help to stabilise by slowing the rolling motion and making it easier to balance, but the leeboards would need to be significantly bigger than in the picture.

If you're trying to save weight and size, and this is just for when you are stopped and fishing, then improvisation is the way. Something using a spare paddle (Collapsible one maybe?) strapped to the kayak with a drybag or other float on the end might be enough.

I'd do a bit of a test and see what you come up with.

The leeboards will do very little, other than stop you blowing sideways if its windy.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Why do you need to stand up? Surely it simply ensures that the fish see you from further away? When I'm boat fishing in a reservoir the only people standing are those that are also having to cast a lot further. My fly casting is hopeless, so I sit in the drifting boat and sneak up on the fish.
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach

I can live without standing up.
    But my back really need a high, raised chair .
    This alone could lead to a capsize that I would like to avoid.

I am studying all your messages.

I really like the suggestion of use a paddle mounted float, maybe a closed cell one.

Or maybe I can use something like the inflatable outrigger made by Hobie kayaks.

It seems that each floating can turn loose around its axis, minimizing the stress on a plastic hull.

It is also detachable and has 3 positions (low, center level and raised).

I dont know yet .
    I'm still reading and studying all you have said above.

Thanks!

It seems that each floating can turn loose around its axis, minimizing the stress on a plastic hull.
    Are you talking about the leeboards in your link, here? The purpose of them is to stop the kayak moving sideways when sailing, but you only use the one on the lee (that is, downwind) side of the hull. The force from the sail presses it against the white frame, so it is well supported. The boards have to be capable of adjustment, because if you left the upwind board in the water, the force would pull it away from the kayak and that would overload the pivot. If you were going to use them just to damp the rocking motion, you'd put them both right down while fishing, and pull them up when paddling. But I think floats would be better.