Thread: DIY Outrigger for aluminum gunwales (Penobscot 17)

Default DIY Outrigger for aluminum gunwales (Penobscot 17)

My father used to sail an open canoe on Lake Superior near Duluth, Minnesota, before the days of helicopter rescues and sans outrigger. The water temperature of this lake is close to what you Brits encounter in the North Sea, that is, when the lake is not covered with ice. :-)

He decided eventually when we were old enough to go camping that stability meant more than speed. He'd lash two canoes together with 2"x2" boards (back when they were still actually that dimension!) and either rig his lateen sail in one canoe or a simple tarp sail. We probably could have crossed the Pacific with that rig, if we could have figured out how to manage a larger and better sail and how to portage some of the steeper parts of the Rockies ...

Flash forward something more than fifty years. I have a wife with a predilection for Malinois. For the uninitiated, imagine a scaled-down German Shepherd Dog (Alsatian) with twice the brain power and the reflexes of a cobra. (I worked and loved GSDs for years, so don't get on my case.) Stability means more than speed these days, so I'm planning to hang a DIY outrigger/ama on my Pensobscot 17. In descending order of priority, the design criteria are:

1. Cheap.
    2. Strong.
    3. Relatively fast on the water. (Turning is of no large concern.)
    4. Comes apart and goes together quickly.
    5. Won't get in the way of a sail rig.
    6. Good looking.

I'm open to all suggestions, but things that look like amas will be favo(u)red.

Thanks!
    Last edited by eidsvolling; 14th-December-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Typo

As this post has not yet provoked any response I will chip in. I have not made my own outriggers (I use some mini flying floats by Solway Dory) but know that there are many who have.

Did you do a search through the forum for "outriggers" ? It brings up many threads, some of which could be helpful. One such is:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ight=outrigger

oops - duplicate post, sorry!

(Bogus post so I can qualify to answer with a reference to the link provided by windorpaddle).

Quote Originally Posted by windorpaddle View Post
    As this post has not yet provoked any response I will chip in. I have not made my own outriggers (I use some mini flying floats by Solway Dory) but know that there are many who have.

Did you do a search through the forum for "outriggers" ? It brings up many threads, some of which could be helpful. One such is:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ight=outrigger
    Thanks very much! This is exactly what I'm looking for (and did not find among(st) the pile when searching here).

Glad to be of service! It would be great to see what you come up with in due course. And how it works once on the water ...
    Keep us posted, please!