Thread: Dog buoyancy aid

Default Dog buoyancy aid

I'm looking for recommendations for a buoyancy aid for my dog, she's a 28kg Golden Retriever. She can swim well but I'm worried about her falling in and not being able to lift her back out due to her weight.

Does anyone take a large dog in their canoe?

crew saver have one for the rat dog (sometimes on loan...the dog) and one for our 30Kg collie they (the jackets) have handles on for the odd re-entry after a swim

Our dog is a lot smaller than yours at around 12kgs and we use one of these; https://paw-things.com/product/life-jackets-dogs/
    It works well for us and him, especially as it has a handle on the top which we use to lift the dog in and out of the boat. Obviously your dog is a bit large for that.

In answer to your question about others taking large dogs in canoes. Yes, it's quite common, I've seen several pics of big dogs in canoes posted by members here, and probably the most prolific poster of such pics is John Kelly himself who has two large dogs with him when he ventures out in his boat.
    Here's a pic from his last blog.

Our dog is extremely frightened by the noise of fireworks and we read recently that some sort of jacket (e.g buoyancy aid) can have a calming effect on dogs. We haven't had a chance to test this claim yet, but if true perhaps it works in all circumstances.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Journal Entries

Sam weighs in at 31kg and Marlowe is only 21kg. I’ve tended to just get cheap dog PFDs off eBay. They work well and are pretty cheap enough you don’t mind if they don’t last long. I find it’s general the stitching that gives way Walter a couple of years. I do keep meaning to upgrade but if I’m going to spend proper money then I would like to have the dogs try them on.

This is the sort of thing I get, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Dog-Li....c100506.m3226
    John

i've been using ones from ruffwear. they are not cheap but fit really well and last forever. the one i had for my previous dog i gave away after she died because it was still in great shape.

I`m not keen, although my dog is less than 20kg I would be grabbing the scruff of the neck and the scruff of their hindquarters to lift them in as straps etc don`t support the whole of the body but loose skin does.

straps etc don`t support the whole of the body but loose skin does.
    Not all dog BAs are created equal. With ours, a large part of the BA material wraps around the underside of the dog and then the straps hold that in place, so the dog is well supported when lifting him in/out of the boat.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Journal Entries

Even the cheap ones I get have a large wide piece of material that wraps round them and sticks with Velcro. The straps are really just a backup and barely needed. My two dogs would far freer being lifted by their PFD than the scruff. That said in an emergency I’ll grab them by whatever bit I can reach
    John