Thread: Valkyrie Craft 16ft Cedar and Canvas Canoe

Default Valkyrie Craft 16ft Cedar and Canvas Canoe

Last winter I put my beautiful Valkyrie Craft 16ft Cedar and Canvas Canoe up for sale but I decided to keep it for another season. I have now decided that I will sell it.
    In 2013 I ordered a 16ft Shearwater with a few little alterations. I had it built with slightly more recurve which I think gives it a nicer look.
    It has been used on East Anglian waterways so no white water, the canoe shows little sign of wear.
    It is a pleaser to paddle and you do notice the difference, you can carry loads of gear and we have used it for canoe camping, we have even fitted two fold up bikes in as well.
    The canoe has been stored inside and has only been used a few times per year.
    Inside is a beautiful cedar red colour with cane seats, knelling thwart and mast step.
    Many people stop and admire the canoe.
    I will be sad to see it go, but as I have other canoes and I have just bought a sailing boat it needs to go.
    I am asking 1,500.
    PS. I seem unable to upload any photos at the moment, but if you look on Gumtree there is an add with photos. I will try and resolve the matter.
    See if this link works?.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/145661...57704441512114
    Last edited by mark jackson; 9th-December-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Journal Entries

You need to link to photos but you could just include a link to the gumtree advert.
    John

Presumably this one:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...e.-/1323073641

Stunning! Sadly no space or budget...

I would love to own this boat but funds and space curtail that desire. Beautiful canoe.

Gumtree ad. suggests it is not made yet?? We will have to wait 85 years!

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Gosh that's cheap for a canoe of this quality.
    Blott has re-posted your ad on the WCHA facebook page so hopefully you'll get a bit more coverage. The WCHA are also having a paddle at Houghton Mill on the 29th Dec, again check out their web page for details, bring the boat alone and you may find a willing buyer?
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

Go on Andy buy it and have a proper sized canoe rather than a stretched coracle!

Mark, I have shared the advert for the canoe on the WCHA-UK Facebook page to help. John makes a beautiful canoe.

Nick
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Quote Originally Posted by Blott View Post
    Go on Andy buy it and have a proper sized canoe rather than a stretched coracle!

truly a craft of the future

"The canoe was built in 2103 by John of Valkyrie Craft (John in work shop in photo). wood and canvas is a very traditional way of building and the in side is a lovely red cedar colour"

if only money and space allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Blott View Post

Mark, I have shared the advert for the canoe on the WCHA-UK Facebook page to help. John makes a beautiful canoe.

Nick
    Cheeky...Have you visited the WCHA classified pages recently? There is a wood canvas trapper there for sale, the same 12ft length as mine, but with an extra 7 inches it comes in at a whooping 45 inches wide!! Which makes mine look like a skinny racing canoe!

Quote Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
    truly a craft of the future

"The canoe was built in 2103 by John of Valkyrie Craft (John in work shop in photo). wood and canvas is a very traditional way of building and the in side is a lovely red cedar colour"

if only money and space allowed
    I have always thought that wood and wood canvas canoes are a truly a sustainable craft, which, I hope, should help the future?

11. Default

That's a lovely, lovely thing. I would love to, but as a total novice looking to start canoeing with his family, I would rightly be labelled as a victim of 'all the gear and no idea' syndrome. Lovely part of the world to paddle, too - we were staying in Mendham Mill a couple of months ago.

Out of interest, do these need any special care, either on the water, or to store?

Like any canoe treat them with a bit of love, try and store them under cover. If they get scratched a touch up of paint and it will look beautiful again. (not like a plastic one)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish Blues View Post
    That's a lovely, lovely thing. I would love to, but as a total novice looking to start canoeing with his family, I would rightly be labelled as a victim of 'all the gear and no idea' syndrome. Lovely part of the world to paddle, too - we were staying in Mendham Mill a couple of months ago.

Out of interest, do these need any special care, either on the water, or to store?
    Don't worry if you break it you can replace or repair any part of it...which is the joy of wood canvas.