Thread: The wrong trousers Chainy!

Default The wrong trousers Chainy!

As it'd been way too long since I had a paddle and the weekend weather looked ok, I headed up to my usual stomp for a quick paddle. Forecast was cold (~5C) minimal wind, sunny spells with the possibility of "ninja showers" Got stocked up with some vittles and grabbed my bags and headed up.

Was a lovely morning, chilly but lovely flat calm. Put in at the iron cross as usual. Have more or less stopped taking my waterproof camera with me now and rely on my mobile phone. It's IP68 and tbh it takes better photos than my old Olympus Mju 850 does in poorer light conditions. Not sure if I am even going to upgrade...

Still a bit of mist hanging about the iron cross

Perfect conditions, doesn't happen too often!

Headed round into the wee lochan for elevenses, still a little misty

Brew time!

Sitting with my back against a tree drinking a cup of coffee, munching on a Caramel Log, I'm thinking this is actually my favourite place in the whole world, not Loch Ard but this particular spot...! Wonder if I can get buried here...

Yup, this'll do for me!

On up to Duke Murdochs castle and some perfect reflections

and eventually round into the hidden loch.

Always surprised at how far voices travel on a still day, could hear a couple of cyclists on the path in the above pic, the one just below the wee cloud. Makes you want to paddle as silently as you can....

some more reflections

It had been steadily clouding over and sure enough the rain started, lightly at first

After I took this, it started to get a lot heavier so I dived into my bag for my waterproof overtrousers... which weren't there... Wait, they are always there... Unless of course you had loaned them to Not So Little Chainsaw a while ago when he went to Arran for a weekend and they hadn't been put back in the bag.... Hmm.. The rain continued from pretty bloomin heavy to light as I paddled back down the loch.

Cormorant exiting stage left

Now 5C when you're dry is pretty nice weather but 5C when your trousers are wet is pretty damn uncomfortable. The trews I had on were some polycotton lightish combat trews but the persistent rain meant that my body heat was not drying them at all just dissipating away. At the moment I was uncomfortably cold, not dangerously cold but my legs were pretty damn cold.... hmm... paddled on looking for somewhere to stop for lunch.

Rain was still drizzling, the wind was getting up and I had started shivering a little. Food and some heat would have been welcome but I decided to bail. Wasn't in any danger but it wasn't too much fun so decided to head for the car rather than my lunch spot.

Actually a good paddle to dust the cobwebs off sadly cut short and got me in the mood for going out again. Top half was toasty warm but lesson learned about the wrong trousers, check yer kit every time!
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 26th-November-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    Cheers,

Alan

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Default Over-clothes

What a beautiful place! And what a time to be there.......

Maybe 25 years ago I set out with my fully equipped young son (40 next year; where did THAT go?) to peddle from Malham to Settle over the tops. It was a lovely, sunny day and we made good progress out of the village and up the hill. But before long the weather began to change and my summer cycling gear became a bit chilly. And then it began to rain! Son was OK - waterproofs on, no problems. But although my bare legs under shorts were sort of coping, my upper body began to become very uncomfortably cold. Eventually, we turned off at a stone barn, floored with the remnants of the presence of cattle ;-)

And behold, an empty feed sack! It might have been a bit odiforous, but three quick holes, head and arms, and I was as snug as a bug for the rest of the trip down. Smelly, but snug. Mind, I don't think that there'd be room in the bag for me now :-( But we always carry a couple of big black sacks when we're out paddling, just in case.
    Last edited by Grizzle; 26th-November-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

yep, couple of survival bags in the pack/PFD but wasn't bad enough to warrant digging either of them out, just uncomfortable!
    Cheers,

Alan

Looked like a nice morning, shame about the rain. +5c and wet always feels much colder than -5c and dry. Lucky the wind didn’t get up!
    Looks like a nice place for an overnight trip.

Nice blog and a nice place to be buried/scattered too.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Looks superb.

Are we entering 'dry suit' season yet? This week I was on a short trip on the Norfolk Braods and my feet were like blocks of ice by the time I returned!!!

Perfect day until the rain. I can understand why it might be your favourite spot in the world.

I forgot my overtrousers once when it suddenly started raining very heavily on a cold day. Luckily I had a bit of old sleeping mat kicking around, which I put over my legs while kneeling and got away with it.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Wow, That looks perfectly calm and windless conditions.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Default Getting scattered....

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    Nice blog and a nice place to be buried/scattered too.
    And I thought it was hedged around with restrictions; not as many as I thought....

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...emations-ashes
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

I almost never have waterproof trousers with me. I don’t really even have a decent pair. I have got a lightweight poncho on my Christmas list for throwing on when showers hit. I guess it would cover my legs too.

Cant quite pinpoint your final resting place. You’ll need to give us the coordinates so we don’t plant you in the wrong place. If we are feeling charitable we may even wait till you are dead
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaboat View Post
    Looks like a nice place for an overnight trip.
    Plenty places to camp up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek View Post
    Are we entering 'dry suit' season yet? This week I was on a short trip on the Norfolk Braods and my feet were like blocks of ice by the time I returned!!!
    Only ever wear a drysuit on rivers or if I'm planning some risky sailing, ie high winds and cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I almost never have waterproof trousers with me. I don’t really even have a decent pair. I have got a lightweight poncho on my Christmas list for throwing on when showers hit. I guess it would cover my legs too.

Cant quite pinpoint your final resting place. You’ll need to give us the coordinates so we don’t plant you in the wrong place. If we are feeling charitable we may even wait till you are dead
    I had another jacket to put over my legs but they were already pretty saturated, didn't expect such a heavy downpour and thought I'd get away with it

Tempted to get the family to pile all my camping kit into my boat and then set it alight then push me out into the middle of the loch, spectacular but not very environmentally friendly!

Wee relive here too... https://www.relive.cc/view/1982242943
    Cheers,

Alan