Thread: Intex Mariner 3 ??

Default Intex Mariner 3 ??

Hi.
    Slightly different I know. However I was looking for a while for an inflatable kayak. Then started to look at the Intex Mariner 3 dinghy. They carry up 600lbs in weight so ideal for camping equipment etc. Main use is rivers and lakes and calm seas. Fishing and wild camping light rapids. Have I gone down the wrong road ordering this. Just seemed to have more pros for me than an inflatable kayak.
    Thanks

Hello and Welcome!

I would say the biggest difference between and canoe/kayak and a dingy/boat is that of portability when off the water. That dingy weighs 32kg, which is more than most inflatable kayaks will weigh, and I would expect it to be bigger packed away. Mind you 32kg is similar to many "hard shell" canoes, so its not unreasonable. Inflatable dinghies are also generally slow.
    Other differences include the fact that you'll be facing backwards when rowing, and I think its a far less pleasurable experience because of this. It will also be far less easy to manoeuvre if you do go on "light rapids", backwards
    But then you have come to a canoeing forum to ask which is best...did you secretly hope to be re-convinced?

You are right. And YES I forgot about the row backwards bit. Mind you last time I was out rowing I went backwards sideways all sorts might get some wing mirrors attached 😂😂😂
    C
    I would say the biggest difference between and canoe/kayak and a dingy/boat is that of portability when off the water. That dingy weighs 32kg, which is more than most inflatable kayaks will weigh, and I would expect it to be bigger packed away. Mind you 32kg is similar to many "hard shell" canoes, so its not unreasonable. Inflatable dinghies are also generally slow.
    Other differences include the fact that you'll be facing backwards when rowing, and I think its a far less pleasurable experience because of this. It will also be far less easy to manoeuvre if you do go on "light rapids", backwards
    But then you have come to a canoeing forum to ask which is best...did you secretly hope to be re-convinced? [/QUOTE]

I had the Intex Excursion 5. A huge beast! It was so heavy. I used it with a trolling motor and had great fun on canals. A very well made boat for the money.

Have you not considered a hypolon dinghy something like an Avon, Tinker, Dunlop. You can normally pick up good ones on ebay for around 100. They can withstand a lot of neglect and abuse.