Thread: Wanted: 2 person or solo use canoe

Default Wanted: 2 person or solo use canoe

We are looking for a canoe suitable for either solo or 2 person trips ideally around 14ft length and in good condition. Suitable for lakes and slow, easy rivers. If you can help we'd be pleased to hear from you. We are based on the Yorkshire coast but can travel to collect. Thanks for looking! Nick&Nicola.

What's your budget? I have an apache 15 (2015 model - its the trek 15T FMP on their website) that I'm considering selling.

Hi Gordon what sort of price are you looking to sell at? Also can I ask is it the yellow one in the photos from your trip showing on your websites? Mrs C will probably (no, definitely) have the final say about what we end up with as she was the one struggling with the last canoe. I know very little about Apache canoes - suitable for relatively inexperienced paddlers?
    Brilliant photos on your website by the way! We were in Morar for Easter 2017 just up the road from Arisaig - what a great place. I went for a wild swim....lasted all of 10 seconds!

No, its the shorter ivory-coloured (ie off-white) one - blogs of it here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...nn-a-Mheadhoin http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/55779-Too-Liddel-Water It was quite new on the Glen Affric trip, but the Liddel Water trip was this summer, so it does have scratches and signs of use now, but nothing that affects its function or structural integrity. It is a good hull for beginners, good primary stability, and pretty good secondary stability too, but it will react to your paddle strokes nicely and gives you good feedback. I have mostly paddled it solo, and currently it only has one seat in it, but I still have the other seat and hardware to refit it.
    Me and my dog together with some day kit make a load of roughly 22 stone and still had plenty of freeboard left, so it will cope with 2 average-sized paddlers fine, yet is a very pleasant solo boat too. It will easily cope with flat water and easy rivers, and is designed to manage up to grade 2-3 whitewater. Stuart (owner of Apache) cut mine down slightly, so the hull is 14" deep rather than the standard 15" to reduce windage as I do a lot of open water paddling. It weighs approx 30kg.
    It has 48" air bags fitted, scuppered wooden gunnels, deep dish yoke and a removable kneeling mat secured with adhesive velcro.
    I am in the process of tidying it up for sale at the moment. I'd be wanting 575 if sold with the air bags, but could throw in a couple of paddles I have no need of. If you PM me your email address, I will send you some up to date pictures and we can discuss things in more detail.

Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon G; 21st-November-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Good to meet you and Nicola today. I'm glad the boat suits you, and I wish you both every happiness afloat in it!

Likewise good to meet you Gordon, and thanks for the various paddling tips. I even managed to unload and garage the canoe alone without dropping it - a good start!
    Cheers

Nick

Great to see an Apache going to a new home
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com